Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What level of education have you achieved?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Candie wrote: »
    It was the gist!

We won't fall out over it though. ;)

Can't help but feel insulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

2011 wrote: »
    Congratulations you have just demonstrated how inadequate our education system is.

Despite the fact that you are so highly qualified you seem lack the capability to grasp the very simple point that I have made.
    Wo...! :eek:

Maybe some people are lying (although as someone else asked, why bother on an anonymous poll?) but this forum isn't a snapshot of society in general; its demographic is largely comprised of university-goers/graduates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Magaggie wrote: »
    Maybe some people are lying (although as someone else asked, why bother on an anonymous poll?)
    I wasn't really suggesting that people were lying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Ficheall wrote: »

Oh.....looks back at post 184 and scratches head....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Oh.....looks back at post 184 and scratches head....

Post 200 might help explain what I was going for then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Post 200 might help explain what I was going for then.

Ah yes, the classic. Make a statement and then retract via the "I was joooookiiiiiiiiiiiing" mechanism. I get now what you were "going for".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Education doesn't mean sh1t, the country hands out Masters and PhD's to any old Tom, Dick and Harry.

Some of the dumbest people I've met have multiple degrees and post docs

Here we go again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I didn't mean you, I meant 2011 as that's what they seemed to be implying: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90756927&postcount=167

How many people actually sit through multiple undergraduate degree programmes? I don't think I would have the energy for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't think memorising facts is intelligence.

I 100% agree.
    During my undergrad, I protested this to a lecturer. How can you tell a person knows about something if they just recall it from short term memory?

We had to do a presentation in French. Most people were able to memorise the first word to the last. I am not able to do this. Ill be able to tell you everything on that page, but in my own way.

I was proud of myself-that I could actually speak french (know words/grammar, how to create a sentence), not just memorise the words on a page and not know the meaning.

So, waiting outside the presentation, one girl ahead of me (who was able to memorise the entire page) asks me "OMG - I dont know my ID number (to announce at start of presentation) in French, can you translate it for me?

No.

Bingo! I don't think memorising facts is intelligence. I think intercepting facts or deducing facts is intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Bingo! I don't think memorising facts is intelligence. I think intercepting facts or deducing facts is intelligence.

In response to being questioned at a lecture he was giving and not knowing the speed of sound as included in the Edison Test:

[I do not] carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think.

- Albert Einstein

;)

In response to being questioned at a lecture he was giving and not knowing the speed of sound as included in the Edison Test:

[I do not] carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think.

- Albert Einstein

;)

And he's right. Training people to think is a completely different skill than learning facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

And he's right. Training people to think is a completely different skill than learning facts.

Yes-I spent many years in Uni, and the one thing that really stood out for me is that, in many cases (not all), if you are good at retaining facts in (short) memory (which is what they seem to encourage), but you still cant apply them/understand them, you can still go far.

In essence, IMO, you do not need a L6/7 or a L8/L8/L9/L10 or whatever, to have a skill to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

As with all Einstein "quotes" I have to ask did he actually say that?

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »

I think so but I don't know so..

:D

I don't think Einstein was much for soundbites but still I find it hard to disagree with their sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I don't think Einstein was much for soundbites but still I find it hard to disagree with their sentiment.

Oh I agree the sentiment seems fair. I just take issue with **** attributed to Einstein to make it appear more valid. It's unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

i got the "Inter Cert" long ago. It was like getting a diploma nowadays. I had a choice of teacher training in Strawberry Hill in Manchester, Secretarial career(pen pusher) nurse training.Those were the days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

The short-term memory guys would say yes.

The intelligent people would say no.

Pretty good summary of the argument so far.

• Advertisement

Yeah im always a bit skeptical however as steddyeddy said, I think it's the sentiment that counts!

EDIT: This one at least seems to have the ring of truth to it at least and was apparently reported in the New York Times 18 May 1921 so make from it what you will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I've a Degree in Business Studies and German from TCD. A MBA from The Warwick School of Business. And a diploma (the German equivalent) in Business Mathematics from the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.

A mixture of hard work with a sprinkling of luck.

Oh I agree the sentiment seems fair. I just take issue with **** attributed to Einstein to make it appear more valid. It's unnecessary.

You're right man. There's no need for it. It's true to say that his colleagues talked about his disdain for traditional education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Connecting apparently unrelated facts to create new meaning.

Now, that's smarts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I Never did bother to finish my Degree. Hell, even before that I never did put much effort into education.

I have to admit that it has always been a pretty embarrassing subject for me and something I tend to avoid telling people - what with Degrees apparently being thrown around like confetti at a Carnival nowadays! So, when someone meets me and invariably discovers that I'm a College dropout with no worthwhile Education and subsequently no real career prospects, I can't help but feel that they would automatically think of me as some kind of idiot cruising under the radar of respectability.

Whilst I'm sure that people don't really think that, it's hard not to feel that at least some would think less of me for where I am in my life. Now, if only I could translate these self-esteem issues into some sort of motivation, I would be set!

Ramanujan is a great example of this. He came from a poor background in India and had little or no formal education. He came across a maths book and from the book came up with some of the most complex theorems that had ever been developed. Even some educated mathematicians couldn't understand some of his work. He attended colleges in India through scholarship but because he didn't care about the other subjects eg English and the arts he failed some of the course. On paper it looked like he wasnt intelligent where as someone who passed everything would be considered more intelligent. Eventually he was recognised by Cambridge university but unfortunately he died three years later.

The mathematician Hardy visited him in hospital when Ramanujan was dying of TB. The following story sums up the man's brilliance:
    I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavorable omen. "No", he replied, "it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways."

I Never did bother to finish my Degree. Hell, even before that I never did put much effort into education.

I have to admit that it has always been a pretty embarrassing subject for me and something I tend to avoid telling people - what with Degrees apparently being thrown around like confetti at a Carnival nowadays! So, when someone meets me and invariably discovers that I'm a College dropout with no worthwhile Education and subsequently no real career prospects, I can't help but feel that they would automatically think of me as some kind of idiot cruising under the radar of respectability.

Whilst I'm sure that people don't really think that, it's hard not to feel that at least some would think less of me for where I am in my life. Now, if only I could translate these self-esteem issues into some sort of motivation, I would be set!

I'm friends with guys who dropped out after first year with failing grades only to return and get firsts. Another mate of mine did foundation maths in school and got into engineering though access courses. You're education up to now isn't an indication of your potential. If you need help going into anything science based send me a PM.

Well. I for one am extremely disappointed in you.

:mad:

On the other hand, seeing as you're posting on this thread, you probably really have several PhDs under your belt.

Education schmeducation. It's good for what it's good for. If you can spot bull5hit without a degree, you'll do ok. The parchment simply acts as a handy wrapper for the bull5hit detector. Those who'd get along fine with a degree would most likely do ok without one. And vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Currently doing my level 8 degree and I'd be interested in doing a post grad at some stage, but first I'd like to build up some practical experience and financially it won't be viable for a while anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

So 86% of AH have a degree, hard to believe TBH, but interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Maphisto wrote: »
    Wow, so over 80% have some form of degree.

So who's posting all the Shinner Bot, Brit Bot, RCC hating, Traveller hating, Blueshirt disparaging, mindless generalisation posts then?

All the dummies on the other threads?

The educational institute certifies you as knowledgeable in your chosen area, but it didn't certify the person on intelligence/common sense and character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

How many people actually sit through multiple undergraduate degree programmes? I don't think I would have the energy for that.

Ive done 2 so far. And a cert in a 3rd subject that I could carry on to BSc if I wanted at any point. And there are another 1 or 2 that might interest me later as well, although one that I wanted to do has been discontinued unfortunately.

Ive done 2 so far. And a cert in a 3rd subject that I could carry on to BSc if I wanted at any point. And there are another 1 or 2 that might interest me later as well, although one that I wanted to do has been discontinued unfortunately.

Are they in different areas?

Are they in different areas?

Yes.

Im interested in lots of different stuff.

Yes.

Im interested in lots of different stuff.

Surely that's what books are for? No need to be spending a fortune on fees for a lateral step rather than a forward one?

Says me with all those level 8s...

endacl wrote: »
    Surely that's what books are for? No need to be spending a fortune on fees for a lateral step rather than a forward one?

Says me with all those level 8s...

I read a lot of books too!

I find with a formal structure, exams, assignments etc that I actually learn more and learn properly. I suppose the formal structure helps me to push myself. Gives me something to do, keeps me busy and I only spend the same amount yearly as people would on a hobby - or maybe even on nights out.

Ive read plenty of interesting books but I forget the detail, I read fast, I skim bits etc.

Plus I like getting the piece of paper as a reward for my efforts, Ill hang them in the bathroom some day ;)

Advertisement