Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Déjà Vu and the like

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by remote viewer
    I remember when I was a kid and I used to experience moments of deja vu, always in the same place and always the same feeling. From my house, if I looked across toward the houses on the other side of the road, (one house in particular) I would get that feeling, it's a bit like, catching yourself watching yourself, but these moments were always accompanied by a feeling of dread, or worry, was strange feeling, hard to put into words. Some years later when my father died, we had a wake at home and I stood out in the front garden and found myself in the same moment, looking at the same view of the houses across and it was like i suddenly got it . It's like..if deja vu is a preview of a script, I was now watching the the play in action.
    So now when I catch myself experiencing deja vu, I kinda know that..I'm doing whatever I'm supposed to be doing, like it's part of the script and I know I'm on the right track.

I have a somewhat odd case of Deja Vu to be honest. I looked at this picture of a girl I know once, and imagined her in a wedding dress some time after, then more recently, I imagined her in some simple middle-age peasant clothes, and a more elaborate medieval gown. They just seemed to suit her in some way, and I'm still at a loss as to why. I found a pic of the peasant-type dress, except for the colour, but I can't seem to find the exact gown I saw. Though saying that, I could have gotten it slightly wrong, as I have a habit of doing that, right picture, some wrong details.

Edit: I feel like such an eejit, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

go and play elsewhere Merc..shoo shoo..

you've been warned....:eek: ;)

Originally posted by bug
    kennett...the edit button?...bottom left hand side....no?:rolleyes:

Ooops... I didn't notice, lol I wasn't long up. Gimme a second and I'll rectify, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Great thread and a great forum.Why did the skeptics have a forum so long before believers?I know this sounds silly but whenever I text this friend of mine it takes her ages to text back and when I think shes sent a text lo and behold my phone goes off-this is odd enough-but today i was talking to her about something serious and was really wanting to get the next text-i got her next message and she had begun "dnt rsh me pls!" is this typical to the reading you describe kennet?

• Advertisement

Not quite like that, but it's along the same lines... I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

i have been having Deja Vu for a few years now, it happens once a few months but when it happens it usually happens that i am sitting and i when it starts it's like watching events unfold but i can't seem to interact with it. each time i experience it it seems to be lasting longer.

an example.

i was in a friends house and my friend was babysitting. the kid was crawling around so i sat down on the floor. then time seemed to slow down and i knew as the baby was crawling around he was going to crawl on me and throw up on me and when it started i could not stop the baby, i couldn't make myself just pick him up and turn him away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Agent7249

Originally posted by Kennett
    I tend to have the odd sense of familiarity with certain people at times, which I'm comfortable with, due to the way I was brought up. Sometimes though, I have a feeling of being able to predict stuff that happens in the near future, though it isn't always right... About 80%-90% at most.

Had something like this dejavu that is.

I rarely remember my dreams because i sleep very little at all, but when i do remember dreams, they're not as muddled as they used to be when i was younger, anyway the point im getting to is that the dreams i do remember when i wake up in the morning, i kinda remember them most of the next day, might scribble down a couple of words in a notebook or on a page. normally within 1 week to 1 month, it'll come trough.

I actually had one of them happen recently (come trough that is) was in a room waiting for an interview, and was talking to this girl, anyway we were talkin away, i asked her where she was stayin, she told me and it clicked right there and then that i had the dream a month earlier. It had happened exactly like it had before in the dream, and i recognised her from it, i could even tell what she was gonig to say in the next couple of sentences before she was called in for the interview. I couldnt do anything but think of how it had clicked while she was talkin to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

im not sure if its deja vu or what but ive had the same odd experience in my life. when i was 2 i broke my leg, and i seem to be able to remember what happened, but when i think back to the event i always see it in the 3rd person, so im looking at whats happened from a different perspective. its very odd but i can remember it very clearly

Originally posted by weemcd
    im not sure if its deja vu or what but ive had the same odd experience in my life. when i was 2 i broke my leg, and i seem to be able to remember what happened, but when i think back to the event i always see it in the 3rd person, so im looking at whats happened from a different perspective. its very odd but i can remember it very clearly

Sounds like an Out of Body Experience...

• Advertisement

yeah its teh cool, should a child even be able to remember at two years old? seems abit young to me, but i suppose it was such a shock to the system or summit

Looks that way... I remember a few vivid things as a child too, though I was about 7 to 9...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thats not an out of body experience. I will proove it to you now.

Everybody besides weemcd, think of a time you have seriously hurt yourself. I know I can. The time the seesaw went into my head and split me open, because if you are experiencing it, you can not see it exactly so your brain has no choice but to imagine it from an out of body view. I cant but look at it from a third perspective. Its my mind imagining what it was like as I approached my mother with her hands up to her mouth in shock! So does that mean I was my mother looking at me for a split time?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The answer to my question is no by the way.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Listen to this for weird. I put my whloe CD collection onto my PC, that's a good 1200 songs. Then I put them all on winamp and randomise the order. I remember once I was just listening through and i said I wouldn't mind hearing a certain song, then it came up next. Which is weird enough in itself. Then as I was listening to that song, I thought of another song and then that came up straight after. Now this may seem to be nothing, but when you consider it mathematically. i have 1200 songs on my playlist, i had listened to about 20, leaving 1180 songs that the one i was thinking of could have been. so the probability of what did happen was 1 in 1180, then for me to have guessed the next song would have been 1 in 1179. So basically, by use of leaving cert probability maths what happened to me was a 1 in 1,391,000 chance. Now I'd usually just call this a fluke. But as i was saying "I'd like for song X to come up" it was kind of mentally signifcant, like the feeling you get with deja-vu. It was as if I was subconsciously dead-certain that this song was going to come up. And even more so the second time. (oh and all my music files are in the form of Track XX, so i didn't just look at the playlist) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fairly similarly to the last post (But not quite as extreme), my 9 year old brother used to walk into the room I when I was playing Championship Manager. I'd usually be a goal or two up, maybe drawing, but he'd randomly say a player off the opposing team and they would usually (80-90% of the time) score within 5 game minutes (10-15 seconds in real life). (EG - He walks in, "Andy Cole will score....", bang.... Andy Cole scores.)

Getting back to Deja Vu's, I used to experience them quite regularly in my primary/secondary school days, but I rarely get them anymore. I wouldnt know where to start explaining them, but maybe it might have something to do with doing things in a routine? Some of the cases mentioned seem a little to weird for that though.

Great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

I don't think it's a matter of routine. I feel it's more to do with the nature of time and how our brains process time. Perhaps as events get closer to what we percieve as the present it is easier to see those events due to "leakage" in the way the brain processes time.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Do Alzheimer's victims have Deja Vu?
    And what would it be like?
    Hold on I think I forgot this before.
    Scary concept or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

Anytime I get deja vue i always get the same kind of shivering feeling. and it's always just after something happens . it's a shame it doesn't come before hand i could be that bit more psychic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Originally posted by weemcd
    that happened to me once, i was on my bike, took a wrong turn and went int a river. the funny thing is (well, one of the funny things is) when i was in the air, for about a second, time slowed down, and I had a matrix like vision of me suspened in the air. all I could think was "my hair"!
    I also remember everything in my dreams, so everthing that happens is djv (think about it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

One scientific "explanation" for deja vu is that we all have one strong eye and one weak eye (this is a fact).

Anyway, sometimes, due to stress or tiredness (or whatever), the strong eye sends the messages to the brain nanoseconds before the weak one, but they are coded in the brain very quickly as 2 seperate messages. This gives us the experience that we "have seen or done this before".

Dunno about this - I get deja vu an awful lot. Sometimes sound is included - eg. standing at the cooker putting something up on the shelf, and someone says something (even from the tv), and its all part of one big deja vu.

Kennett - dude I have no idea what you mean by "being able to read people" (not taking the p!ss). I've experienced predicting what people are going to say or are saying. Is that what you mean?

Could you please explain what you mean a bit more?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I notice it all the time.. most obviously i might here a word or phrase i have never heard before and next thing i know i hear it again and again... Its nothing strange really.. maybe its something thats always there but until "I" take notice of it my brain does not process it. So if it happens again and hear a new word or phrase etc.. Obviously it will have been used before but i have never heard it.. so now its in my brain and when i hear it again its Deja Vu i only heard that the other day.

Actually there are other instances i think of it but cant actually think of any specifics right now.

Originally posted by Saruman
    I notice it all the time.. most obviously i might here a word or phrase i have never heard before and next thing i know i hear it again and again... Its nothing strange really.. maybe its something thats always there but until "I" take notice of it my brain does not process it. So if it happens again and hear a new word or phrase etc.. Obviously it will have been used before but i have never heard it.. so now its in my brain and when i hear it again its Deja Vu i only heard that the other day.

Actually there are other instances i think of it but cant actually think of any specifics right now.

that happens me sometimes, the word youve never heard of just repeats until you look it up or someone tells you what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

When my cousin rings on the land line i can tell its him 9 times out of 10. Theres 6 people in the house so not often him. It feels wierd when i get it wrong. Other times when im walking down the street or somthing some body dose or says somthing that im sure ive seen before

Advertisement