Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One computer, two keyboards ... aka mulitple users of a PC!

Options
  • 31-07-2020 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi!

I have a PC that is used by 3 people. The 2 other users are concerned about the possibility of spreading CoVid, and have asked that I get 3 bluetooth keyboards and mice that can be labelled for each of us.

Personally, I prefer a wired keyboard and mouse, but there we are!

Is it possible to attach 3 x Keyboard and 3 x Mice (assuming enough USB ports) to a PC?

If it's necessary to go down the RF/Bluetooth route, what does anyone recommend? Note, there is no Bluetooth service on the PC.

Does anyone think that using a microfibre cloth and Isopropyl Alcohol is a better idea?

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this query!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Speedsie wrote: »
    Is it possible to attach 3 x Keyboard and 3 x Mice (assuming enough USB ports) to a PC?

Not really simultaniously
    If it's necessary to go down the RF/Bluetooth route, what does anyone recommend? Note, there is no Bluetooth service on the PC.

Usually/Sometimes a RF/Bluetooth keyboards sets come with a dongle for the computer.

Does anyone think that using a microfibre cloth and Isopropyl Alcohol is a better idea?

Might be, but only if everyone fully trusts everyone.

If you have seperate keyboards for every one, each person should store their keyboard/mouse securely away from the the comuter, no point in the 3x keyboard/mouse sets if the all stored in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get alcohol spray to spray on the keyboard and mouse. It will kill COVID virus.

To disinfect your desktop, you need an alcohol-based disinfectant that contains at least 60 percent ethanol or 70 percent isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.
    You can buy aerosols, pump sprays, or wipes that will do the job, just make sure they contain the necessary amount of ethanol or isopropanol.

https://www.howtogeek.com/663849/how-to-disinfect-your-mouse-and-keyboard/

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Completely possible, and doesn't even need any special setup. I routinely keep one wired set and one wireless (for access from the couch) active on my desktop.

Obviously enough trying to use more than one at once will have ludicrous results (fighting for control of the mouse), but each user having their own mouse and keyboard and only one being used at a time is fully normal functionality.

Limitations: USB based keyboards. No (or at most 1) ancient PS/2 types.

If using wireless types with usb receivers, best to go with different brands for each. Good ones can co-exist within the same brand, but most will interfere with each other.

One wired set, one usb dongle and one generic bluetooth set should function without issue.

At worst you may need to insist anyone not using the computer turn off their mouse to prevent the "wobbles" you may get from an unused mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Oh, and bluetooth addons for PCs are a cheap and simple usb dongle these days. No difficulty adding that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Probably a bit late for the OP since it's been a few months, but
    the Unifying receiver Johnboy1951 mentioned is the business.

I'm doing this with just two keyboards for somebody.
    I'd recommend getting something like the Logitech K400 since it's got a built in touchpad (and storage for the spare dongle).

We paired up two of them to the same receiver no problem so just keeping the keyboard in two drawers until in use.
    I also had a mouse and a trackpad linked to the same receiver.

Advertisement