Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A few creepy things have happened to me over the years but one that stands out in particular...

For several months over the summer of 2001, I had recurring nightmares of airplanes crashing into buildings, usually I was in a crowd on the ground either watching the horrific spectacle unfold and trying desperately to run away before the imminent crash and explosion, or else watching from a distance as the aircraft impacted the building. In one vivid nightmare a saw a Concorde crash into Liberty Hall. I awoke screaming from a couple of those horrible nightmares.

Then the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York and Washington DC happened. Since then I have never had a nightmare about air crashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I'm not superstitious at all but the (now wife) would always salute a magpie.

anyway got engaged Easter Sunday 5 years ago and where in her parents house having a meal with her grandmother to celebrate, the grandmother asked me to go to the shop for her (5 minutes away) when I drove the car back in a magpie flew across me and for some strange reason I said out loud to it "don't you be ruining my day"

Got to the front door and all I could hear was the loudest wail I have ever heard, the Grandmother got a phonecall her son (my wife's uncle) dropped dead.

A day I will never forget, since then when I see a magpie in the garden I call him by the uncles name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

...and i hope you salute as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

My Grandson gave up his room for me whilst on a visit to rural Mayo. Pitch black night and I wake up to a dragging scratching noise. Then it stops. Then it starts again. I think it's something being dragged around outside the window. Or maybe something in the wall cavity.

Start, stop, start stop. Grandad is getting a bit concerned now, what the hell is it? Scratching, dragging..... silence! This is going on for an hour...

I didn't even know he had a hamster...... little fecker in his cage on top of a wardrobe coming out for a bit of nocturnal exercise on the wheel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Just the one in the garden. he's a good lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

JupiterKid wrote: »

For several months over the summer of 2001, I had recurring nightmares of airplanes crashing into buildings.

Google has for some reason decided to present me with an asteroid story every couple of days for the past few weeks. I hope that's not a premonition:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

When I was 5 two older brothers hassled me, one told the other to kick me in the shin and he did. A few months back the first brother had his leg amputated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

fryup wrote: »
    ...and i hope you salute as well

And remember to say "Good morning, Mr. Magpie!"

I had cold prickles rippling up and down my back when I read that, FP.

I heard of someone driving around until he found a pair of magpie to offset the single magpie he'd seen an route to his wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Right.my hearing aid is missing a couple of weeks.

Here on my own,the aid was right beside me on the chair,cause i was listening to some music.

Went to open the hall door to the kids coming in from school.Went to put my hearing aid back in.Its gone.

I was the only one in the house,and i have looked everywhere in the room i was in.Its just vanished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

vriesmays wrote: »
    When I was 5 two older brothers hassled me, one told the other to kick me in the shin and he did. A few months back the first brother had his leg amputated.

I don't get that? Are you thinking that because your brother instructed your other brother to kick you in the shin that the amputation of his leg years later was payback for that instigation? :confused: If that's the case we'd all probably be legless. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

What do you do when you pass a gulp of magpies...There were approx 80 in Tymon Park the other day...

IMG-20190913-191532.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pikey

Booked to fly back to Australia after attending a funeral in Ireland (partners sibling). Partner and kids flew ahead of me a few weeks before.

They were staying on in Ireland and I had to return to work in Oz.
    2 days before I was due to travel back I decided to extend my stay by another 3 days as it was my daughters birthday.

If I had taken the return flight back on the 17 July 2014 I wouldn't be writing this!

KLM Flight 4103.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Had a big ass cockroach, the ones that fly, crawling on my foot while I was watching TV in Malaysia. Does that count?

I can't see how many magpie are in that photo on my small screen but

Eight for a Kiss
    Nine for a wish
    Ten for a surprise you wouldn't like to miss

There are no guidelines on multiple magpie salutations. You only address a solitary bird to negate the omen.

I can't see how many magpie are in that photo on my small screen but

Eight for a Kiss
    Nine for a wish
    Ten for a surprise you wouldn't like to miss

There are no guidelines on multiple magpie salutations. You only address a solitary bird to negate the omen.

About ten years ago I walked in to a shop with my umbrella still up. I've been paying for it ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Am gonna start flipping the bird to those mapies and see what happens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭maccored

isnt the whole one for sorrow, two for joy thing weather related? as in, bad weather approaching only one goes to find food, the other stays with the offspring in the nest. good weather, they both go out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I thought it was related to the fact (TBC) that magpies mate for life, so one on its own would have been "widowed".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Think thats true as well as in they mate for life - "A single magpie in spring, foul weather will bring" is also a phrase though

I've no idea but there's tonnes of weather lore and omens related to birds. Incidentally it's quite surprising how many birds mate for life.

• Advertisement

About ten years ago I walked in to a shop with my umbrella still up. I've been paying for it ever since.

Is that what happened to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I once saw a magpie eating a, still living, baby bird. Stopped “saluting” them after that.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I once saw a magpie eating a, still living, baby bird. Stopped “saluting” them after that.

Yikes!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And seagulls, herons, etc eat live fish, other birds eat live bugs and worms, etc. That's normal behaviour for them.

Nature, red of tooth and claw. It's savage and wild at times. It is an ugly thing to witness though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seeing birds eating.....thats real creepy stuff.

Heard a voice in my garden or the path by my house just a minute ago but nobody knocked. Im listening hard. Lights off at front of house so it looks like there's nobody in here. Other half has gone to the shop but should be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Yea a medium told my daughter that her mam was seeing someone else, TRUE as it happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

decky1 wrote: »
    Yea a medium told my daughter that her mam was seeing someone else, TRUE as it happens.
    Was it the medium ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

decky1 wrote: »
    Was the medium the someone else?

Edit: damn you, blinding.

More ghosts less shìte!!

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Heard a voice in my garden or the path by my house just a minute ago but nobody knocked. Im listening hard. Lights off at front of house so it looks like there's nobody in here. Other half has gone to the shop but should be back soon.

Keep us updated!

There's a six foot wall and a locked gate is that makes it any less ****e.

Nothing odd since. A few years ago a when I was in the otherwise empty house I heard a phone ring with a strange ringtone and no sign of any extra phone. And my very heavy doorknocker inexplicably clattered once, around that time. I'm not prone to hallucinations so I think it probably qualifies as unnerving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Theres a Georgan house built on the farm, it's in the yard so I'm always around it. My grandparents lived in the house and then sister lived in it when she was younger with my niece who was only 3/4 at the time. Before my grand parents lived in it, it was empty for 100 years, theres no history to the house that I'm aware of. Anyway some nights my niece would run into her mam saying theres a child at the end of the bed looking at me, this happened a few times. Later on I find out my father's brother who was a baby at the time died. I never liked being in the house and I dont like going into the yard once it goes passed 8pm, weirdly with windows being broke no birds nest in the house. A man came one day to "clear" the house. He says theres black water underneath it and no good will come of anyone in it. Scared the shíte out of me. Anyway it's being knocked next year, got a call out of the blue, your man who came to clear the house said if its knocked all the rubble has to be taken off the farm. Dont know whether its coincidence he rang or he felt something. Anyway I'm off to bed, not sure if its coincidental that my bedroom window looks directly up to the house :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I was told this story by a very sober, not given to flights of fancy, old lady, now deceased, who lived in the Munster countryside early in the last century. She a young girl at the time of the following tale and was with an older relation who had a farm. They were returning from a fair day on a pony and trap after doing some business at the fair. As they approached a remote spot with raised ground on one side about half way home she saw what looked like a very oddly dressed tinyl man jump onto the pony from the ditch and hold on. She screamed out as the trap started to pull up and looked to her companion who was frozen in what seemed like fear. He whispered to her to stay silent and recite a prayer. After a few moments the man vanished into thin air and they went on home as quickly as they could. He said to her not to tell anyone as it would bring bad luck. The spot she heard later was renowned as haunted and associated with the sidhe or fairy folk. She swore to me that the story was true when I smiled and said it was hard to believe but something in the look she gave me indicated that whatever it was she wasn't making it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Theres a Georgan house built on the farm, it's in the yard so I'm always around it. My grandparents lived in the house and then sister lived in it when she was younger with my niece who was only 3/4 at the time. Before my grand parents lived in it, it was empty for 100 years, theres no history to the house that I'm aware of. Anyway some nights my niece would run into her mam saying theres a child at the end of the bed looking at me, this happened a few times. Later on I find out my father's brother who was a baby at the time died. I never liked being in the house and I dont like going into the yard once it goes passed 8pm, weirdly with windows being broke no birds nest in the house. A man came one day to "clear" the house. He says theres black water underneath it and no good will come of anyone in it. Scared the shíte out of me. Anyway it's being knocked next year, got a call out of the blue, your man who came to clear the house said if its knocked all the rubble has to be taken off the farm. Dont know whether its coincidence he rang or he felt something. Anyway I'm off to bed, not sure if its coincidental that my bedroom window looks directly up to the house :)

Pic please

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

Working at a secondary school last night. Around 9.30pm I could hear kids laughing and playing. I paid no mind, but after 20 mins I realised it was very late for them to be at the school and looked out the window. There was no one there, only myself and the caretakers cars were in the car park. At that point I realised that the sound of the kids was coming from a guitar amplifier that had been left in the room I was in.

I have a video, from which people can draw their own conclusions. The most plausible explanation is that it was a broadcast, what broadcast would be the sound of kids for 20 odd minutes I'm not sure. What's the best way of posting the video?

Edit: Here's the link to the video;

What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Pic please

I'll post one in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

dickangel wrote: »
    Working at a secondary school last night. Around 9.30pm I could hear kids laughing and playing. I paid no mind, but after 20 mins I realised it was very late for them to be at the school and looked out the window. There was no one there, only myself and the caretakers cars were in the car park. At that point I realised that the sound of the kids was coming from a guitar amplifier that had been left in the room I was in.

I have a video, from which people can draw their own conclusions. The most plausible explanation is that it was a broadcast, what broadcast would be the sound of kids for 20 odd minutes I'm not sure. What's the best way of posting the video?

Edit: Here's the link to the video;

What do you think?

Was the guitar amp plugged into something? Audio feed from somewhere?

368100 wrote: »
    Was the guitar amp plugged into something? Audio feed from somewhere?

No just straight into the wall. No other cables but for the power. Whoever was using it removed their cable but forgot to turn it off.

I'm not sure if the link I posted is working. It shows up on my computer but not my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

No just straight into the wall. No other cables but for the power. Whoever was using it removed their cable but forgot to turn it off.

I'm not sure if the link I posted is working. It shows up on my computer but not my phone.

Link worked for me....that is creepy then. Logical mind would say it's some transmission picked up from somewhere but given its an amp it wouldnt have anything to receive it through other than wired connection...which wasn't connected...hmmm

Possibly is something interfering through the power cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Amps pick up radio waves, probably there were kids in their earlier in the day on their phones and it got picked up by the amp. If it's left on the noises just kind of bounce around in there until it gets replaced my new noise. An old neighbour of mine used to get European radio stations on his guitar amp in the early 90's!

I figured it was interference but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little shiver up my spine. My friend thinks one the voices says "come home."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Is there any good way of knowing the actual age of a house?
    The one I live in is on maps in 1830s but no idea of how long it could have been built before that.
    Anyway on occasion, when I'm in that half awake/asleep state, I'd nearly swear I can hear chatting & voices coming from the kitchen area, just in that soft undertone which means you know chat is going on but such soft murmurings that you can't hear the words. Twice I've heard a door close & when I go to find an open window & draft causing it, the doors are open :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

I figured it was interference but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little shiver up my spine. My friend thinks one the voices says "come home."

I was sat in my living room as a teenager once. Alone in the house studying, when I heard a gruff Dublin accent barking directions coming from directly in front of me. I nearly jumped out of my skin until I realised it was the TV speakers picking up radio waves while it was on standby. It must have been from a taxi radio nearby.

Also as a guitar player who’s had some poorly wired and shielded equipment in the past, I sometimes picked up the radio when not playing. Especially if the amp was set to high gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I was browsing Reddit and came across a thread like this that had some interesting stories.

That is bizarre

In your OP, the second story:

"I was driving a shortcut from Twentynine Palms, CA to Albuquerque, NM. Twentynine Palms is located in the desolate high desert east of LA. The shortcut was all two lane road through total nothingness, except for passing through Amboy, CA. Amboy is a nearly abandoned town nearly as far below sea level as Death Valley, with a dormant volcano and lava field on one side and a salt flat on the other. It was also, at the time, a hotspot for satanic group activity"
    So I was driving by myself in the afternoon. I stopped in Amboy and snapped a picture of the city sign, just to prove I was there to friends who dared me to take that route to I-40. I got back in my car and proceeded to drive up into the mountain range between Amboy and I-40.

I went to Coachella in 2007.

When the festival was over the next day I drove with my then husband from Joshua Tree Nat Park towards Las Vegas, along that exact same route that second story states - see pic.

We turned onto the road about 4.30pm - later than we had planned to set off after Joshua Tree Pk visit. The map and guidebook said it would take about an hour to get to Amboy. I too, like that fella wanted to stop and get a pic of the old gas station/motel sign.

Anyway we turn onto the road and there was literally nothing around us. Just desert - very Area 51 stuff. Initially it was a bit of a novelty but after about 50 mins driving and seeing nothing in front of us at all other than more and more straight road and nothing around to left or right and realising we were actually very low on petrol as we didn't think the drive would take that long and we were heading to a gas station etc... I started to get a bit weird and started stressing a bit, I could sense my husband was too a tad, it was getting dark and I was agitated there was no sign of this bloody Amboy.

Suddenly out of nowhere after seeing no cars for the entire duration of the trip, my husband looked in the rear view mirror and looked a bit put out. I looked back and behind us about 6 metres back was a really dodge 'typical hillbilly American' pick up truck. There was one driver in it, a bloke. He stayed driving behind us for about another 15 mins, about the same distance all the time, never tried to take over.

I, being a mad fan of all things serial killer movies and such was literally freaking out. My husband was a big fella, and a very cool sort, but I kept catching him out of my peripheral vision looking at times in the mirror. He was really quiet. And honestly looked perturbed to me.

The fella kept driving behind us.

At that stage we started discussing at and I aired how weird it was and what he was up to. Basically I was ****ting my pants.

All of a sudden, after him being behind us for 15 mins, we saw a sign for Amboy and and the driver suddenly and sharply took off to a dirt track. He almost skidded doing so.

I never felt so relieved in my life. We discussed it for months after how freaky it was.

Ironically when we got to Amboy, it was like something out of Deliverance and they wouldn't give my husband gas as our tank was under 1/4 full and said 'No boy only in emergencies" or something to that effect, and told us to keep driving towards the Mohave Desert Nat Park.

It was at stage I lost it in tears in the car.

Never forgotten that drive to Amboy...

sugarman wrote: »
    Sounds like some kind of sports feed being picked up, definitely someone coaching.

Yes I thought so too. I thought initially it was a match but there was no commentary or anything. It was pretty much 20 minutes of what you hear. Until I switched it off and left. There was nothing happening in the school, unless it was training somewhere close by being picked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

There is a thing known as Sleep Paralysis that I get often. It's almost as it sounds, it happens in that in between stage of falling asleep but still being awake. I am unable to move, speak or open my eyes and the particular type I get is that it feels like somebody is sitting on my bed or even sitting on top of me! I try to move or shout and I can't. :eek:

That last bit is actually common for people who get sleep paralysis and it's creepy as all hell. When it first started happening I was never able to sleep afterwards but it's so regular these days that I get weirded out for a few minutes then fall asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Guy Person wrote: »
    There is a thing known as Sleep Paralysis that I get often. It's almost as it sounds, it happens in that in between stage of falling asleep but still being awake. I am unable to move, speak or open my eyes and the particular type I get is that it feels like somebody is sitting on my bed or even sitting on top of me! I try to move or shout and I can't. :eek:

That last bit is actually common for people who get sleep paralysis and it's creepy as all hell. When it first started happening I was never able to sleep afterwards but it's so regular these days that I get weirded out for a few minutes then fall asleep.

I've read about this. It sounds horrific. Sorry to hear you go through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

Guy Person wrote: »

I used to get that a lot as a teenager. I was aware but I couldn’t move, I also couldn’t tell if I was seeing or dreaming that I am seeing. I remember struggling to move a finger, or an arm just something I could use to then maybe kickstart the body. I had a few creepy out of body experiences (waking dreams) during these until I became better able to deal with them.

Thankfully it’s rare nowadays but occasionally I get it, I can usually stifle out a cry for help which my wife reacts to and brings me out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement