Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Visa for UK

• 22-10-2019 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Can anyone advise me how/where my Chinese friend, with a stamp 4 visa(irish partner and child) can apply for UK visa for a three day holiday to Edinburgh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

UK embassy in Dublin I would think should be the first port of call....just a hunch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Applying for a U.K. visa at the consular section of the embassy in Dublin is the safest way.

In theory, if you are travelling together, the U.K. Immigration authorities are required to give your partner, provided their Irish residence is based on being a family member of an Irish citizen, the opportunity to obtain an entry visa on the spot at Edinburgh Airport.

In practice, there are almost never immigrations checks on arrival at U.K. airports from CTA origins. The exceptions are airports without separation of passengers by origin and the usual spot checks. In practice, however, your partner might be denied boarding in ireland if they are a visa required National.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Marcusm wrote: »
    In practice, there are almost never immigrations checks on arrival at U.K. airports from CTA origins.

Slight update: I flew into East Midlands on Monday and they have a new policy where 100% of passengers go through passport checks. Lots of signs apologising for the waiting times but also saying that it was to keep people out of Britain who shouldn't be there. Unsure if it's to become a national policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Far as im aware it is done through TLScontact visa application centre in Northwood Santry.
    This is where I had to go in 2017 when I needed a UK visitor visa.
    Need to prebook an appointment if I remember correctly.
    Nothing was done at the embassy at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ponster wrote: »
    Slight update: I flew into East Midlands on Monday and they have a new policy where 100% of passengers go through passport checks. Lots of signs apologising for the waiting times but also saying that it was to keep people out of Britain who shouldn't be there. Unsure if it's to become a national policy.

It’s not going to become a national policy. EMA is one of the airports which is no longer segregating the flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shalclon

UK embassy in Dublin I would think should be the first port of call....just a hunch!

No UK embassy doesn't deal with visas at all

Jacovs wrote: »
    Far as im aware it is done through TLScontact visa application centre in Northwood Santry.
    This is where I had to go in 2017 when I needed a UK visitor visa.
    Need to prebook an appointment if I remember correctly.
    Nothing was done at the embassy at all.

Thank you that's so helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

shalclon wrote: »
    No UK embassy doesn't deal with visas at all

I assume they told you who did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ponster wrote: »

Hasn't gone that way in Manchester so far. No checks for flights coming in from Ireland.

Appreciate all the helpful advice, wonder if Edinburgh has passport checks coming from Ireland?

• Advertisement

Appreciate all the helpful advice, wonder if Edinburgh has passport checks coming from Ireland?

Flying from Dub to Edinburgh?

Jacovs wrote: »
    Flying from Dub to Edinburgh?

Ya exactly out of Dublin on the Fri into Edinburgh and home to Dublin the Sunday.

Ya exactly out of Dublin on the Fri into Edinburgh and home to Dublin the Sunday.

Your chinese friend will/should be asked at check in/boarding gate in Dublin for their visa, so before worrying about passport checks in Edinburgh first worry about passport/visa checks by the airline in Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

You fill in the application form on the UK gov website and then you print off the form and bring the supporting documents to the TLS centre in Santry.
    For Visa required nationals, you won't be able to print off a boarding pass as standard, it will need to be checked by an airline official while will check that you have the required visa before you go to the security in Dublin

Daisies wrote: »
    You fill in the application form on the UK gov website and then you print off the form and bring the supporting documents to the TLS centre in Santry.
    For Visa required nationals, you won't be able to print off a boarding pass as standard, it will need to be checked by an airline official while will check that you have the required visa before you go to the security in Dublin

Thank you

Advertisement