Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 English Open, 14th-20th October - Eurosport & Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Watched the interview there, at a bit of a loss what all the fuss is about. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Watched the interview there, at a bit of a loss what all the fuss is about. :confused:

Fairly harmless, seen a lot worse. Not surprised by the above comments, O’Sullivan doesn’t have to do much to irritate many posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Fairly harmless, seen a lot worse. Not surprised by the above comments, O’Sullivan doesn’t have to do much to irritate many posters on here.

Its not that bad, lot of shyte talk but par for the course, though have a feeling Ken "Dockerty" might have been a bit irritated if he was listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Speaking of Ken, I was keeping up with his match against Marco Fu, while watching Wilson/Wenbo, which Doherty lost 4-0. He's out there embarrassing himself, in at least two frames playing on for a bunch of snookers. It's been quite a while since any major result, (semi-final at the 2017 Riga Masters, his best this decade), he really should just retire at the end of the season if he can't stay in the Top 64. Provisionally, he's at #69. He'd be better off joining the Seniors Tour full-time and working on being a better commentator for the BBC.

If Ken is that bad, what does it tell you about the general standard of younger players who cant beat him for a place on tour? I watched Ebdon yesterday and he was appalling, taking 40-50 seconds over shots he wasnt even getting in the jaws of pockets. I'm fairly certain, though, that Ken would have called it a day if he'd made it to the crucible this year. I think he'd love more than anything to get back one more time, likely get hockeyed and then make his farewell on the biggest stage. I think he'll give it one more chance this year and that'll be it.

• Advertisement

Good to see Feargal through against Bond.

Speaking of Marco Fu, won the 2016 Scottish Open, but then I noticed his huge drop down the rankings (59 now?) in the last 2 years and read that he recently had surgery for "retinal degeneration". Didn't know he was suffering with that condition but that would explain why he's disappeared in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Fu very nearly made the World Championship final in 2016. Big decline for him since

Jimmy White continues to get even worse results than last season, with his new invitational tour card. His loss yesterday evening makes five 1st round losses.

Casualties from the 16 seeds in round 1, were Ali Carter, Stephen Maguire, and Yan Bingtao, leaving 13 seeds still in the event.

Round 2 starts today, TV matches:

10am
    Stuart Bingham v Si Jiahui
    Sam Craigie v Ricky Walden

1pm
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Yuan Sijun
    Kyren Wilson v Bai Langning (17 year old that defeated Jimmy White)

2pm (approx.)
    Mark Williams v Michael Holt
    Neil Robertson v Marco Fu

7pm
    Judd Trump v Daniel Wells
    Mark Allen v Andy Lee

9pm (approx.)
    Shaun Murphy v Sunny Akani
    Barry Hawkins v Michael Georgiou

Some good matches there, obviously Ronnie's against Sijun will have the most interest. They've only played once before, earlier this year in the Welsh Open, which Ronnie won 4-2. I like Akani's odd style, rooting for him against Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Jimmy White continues to get even worse results than last season, with his new invitational tour card. His loss yesterday evening makes five 1st round losses.

Casualties from the 16 seeds in round 1, were Ali Carter, Stephen Maguire, and Yan Bingtao, leaving 13 seeds still in the event.

Round 2 starts today, TV matches:

10am
    Stuart Bingham v Si Jiahui
    Sam Craigie v Ricky Walden

1pm
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Yuan Sijun
    Kyren Wilson v Bai Langning (17 year old that defeated Jimmy White)

2pm (approx.)
    Mark Williams v Michael Holt
    Neil Robertson v Marco Fu

7pm
    Judd Trump v Daniel Wells
    Mark Allen v Andy Lee

9pm (approx.)
    Shaun Murphy v Sunny Akani
    Barry Hawkins v Michael Georgiou

Some good matches there, obviously Ronnie's against Sijun will have the most interest. They've only played once before, earlier this year in the Welsh Open, which Ronnie won 4-2. I like Akani's odd style, rooting for him against Murphy.

White should pack it in, it's embarrassing. He must be stuck for a few quid? Or does he genuinely believe he can win a tournament? Awful to watch anyway.

The pros seem to love the German Masters, only ever hear glowing reports from it. I think global expansion can only be good for the sport and applaud it, but snooker still has its traditional base over here and old stagers like me will struggle with those china events because they just seem to lack a passion or tradition or atmosphere, or whatever you want to call it. Pumping huge money and resources into it is all very well, but its harder to buy tradition and atmosphere imho.

I agree with you about the Chinese events. They definitely lack something alright. I wish they held a ranking event here in Dublin because it would surely drag the audience? More so than the Chinese events.

• Advertisement

Fu very nearly made the World Championship final in 2016. Big decline for him since

I presume family life got in the way of his dedication to snooker?

GeneralC wrote: »
    White should pack it in, it's embarrassing. He must be stuck for a few quid? Or does he genuinely believe he can win a tournament? Awful to watch anyway.

I didnt agree with hearn giving him the wild card, i mean if the likes of Ken or Ebdon came looking for a wild card in the future, on what grounds should they be refused? Hearn goes on about players having to earn their keep, law of the jungle and all that, and then just hands a card out to Jimmy because basically he's his mate. Jimmy couldnt be making any money from it, so i guess his motivation is just to stay playing, obviously it's his life so thats fair enough. Bit sad, maybe, but what else has he going on? A bit of commentary, probably still gambling his head off every day and thats about it. Notice he can still draw a half decent crowd when he plays, so that is something at least.

I agree with you about the Chinese events. They definitely lack something alright. I wish they held a ranking event here in Dublin because it would surely drag the audience? More so than the Chinese events.

Absolutely criminal with our history and tradition of snooker here that we dont have a ranking event. I lived through the glory days of the irish masters at goffs, i recall Steve Davis saying it was his second favourite venue on the circuit, it was a magnificent arena for snooker. We'll never get that back, but would be great so see something at least half as good. But not at citywest, horrible venue for snooker, hated every second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Trip up to Belfast next month for the NI version of this tournament is next best thing to getting Goffs back.

I like the waterfront as a venue. A doddle to get to by train or bus. Not perfect but not bad. Certainly better than that titanic centre they had the first NI open in.

Planes taking off from the harbour airport every so often, could even be heard clearly on tv.

The Seniors Irish Masters is held each January in Goffs.

Defending champ, Stuart Bingham lost to 17 year old Si Jiahui, 4-1. His two wins this week so far, are his only two as a professional. That Section 1 is wide open now, hard to pick a quarter-finalist from the remaining seven.

Also, Sam Craigie withdrew from his second round match against Ricky Walden this morning. I haven't seen any reason online yet.

Curtains for Ronnie now you'd think, quelle surprise. Sijun been decent in fairness.

Spoke too soon, going to decider. Enough chances to finish it but Chinese kid couldn't take em. Very tentative, guess that's the intimidation factor Ronnie brings, even well short of his best.

Hard to believe Marco Fu is 41, looks 31. Unlike Higgins who is 44, looks 54.

Is anyone watching on Quest HD? "Live pause is not available". It's the only Sky channel on which I can't pause!

Spoke too soon, going to decider. Enough chances to finish it but Chinese kid couldn't take em. Very tentative, guess that's the intimidation factor Ronnie brings, even well short of his best.
    Sijun is very good, one of the better young Chinese players, but there were some shots he had no excuse to be missing, against anyone, never mind Ronnie.

Fergal O'Brien is in the last 32, his best result in over a year. He plays Barry Hawkins/Michael Georgiou.
    Is anyone watching on Quest HD? "Live pause is not available". It's the only Sky channel on which I can't pause!
    I record Quest HD on my Humax Freesat box, no problems with it.

• Advertisement

Yuan Sijun strikes me as almost the prototype modern young player, excellent potter, brittle under pressure, no safety game. Hard to be confident how any of them turn out when you get all the hype.

Trump won his second round match 4-0, over Daniel Wells in 54 minutes. Another two seeds went out in round 2 (Bingham and Williams), leaving 11 seeds still in round 3. Seven Chinese players left. Thursdays are exciting during a Home Nations event, as two rounds are played in one day. The day starts with 32 players, but by the end of play, we'll have the 8 quarter-finalists.

Last 32, top half:

Si Jiahui v Zhou Yuelong
    Tian Pengfei v Dominic Dale
    Tom Ford v Kyren Wilson (#9)
    Fan Zhengyi v Shaun Murphy (#8)
    Neil Robertson (#5) v Zhao Xintong
    David Gilbert (#12) v Kurt Maflin
    Graeme Dott v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    Ricky Walden v Michael Holt

Bottom half:

Ronnie O'Sullivan (#3) v Hossein Vafaei
    Mei Xiwen v Elliot Slessor
    Xiao Guodong v Jack Lisowski (#11)
    Matthew Selt v Mark Selby (#6)
    Mark Allen (#7) v Louis Heathcote
    Barry Hawkins (#10) v Fergal O'Brien
    Gary Wilson v Joe Perry (#15)
    Lee Walker v Judd Trump (#2)

Going to be good week for one of Si Jiahui/Zhou Yuelong/Tian Pengfei/Dominic Dale, one will be (at least) a quarter-finalist and earn £10,000.

Delighted for Murphy last night, he seems to be a nice bloke, enjoyed his post match interview on the couch and I totally agree with what he had to say about the younger generation of players being thought in these snooker academys and not being hungry enough to win.

Trump is playing very well as is Selby and Hawkins. Would like to see Dominic Dale progress and go further, seems a top bloke that's never really achieved anything in the game.

Would like to see Dominic Dale progress and go further, seems a top bloke that's never really achieved anything in the game.
    One of the best players to never make it into the Top 16. The move to Vienna yeas ago hurt his game.

Today's TV matches:

10am
    Mark Selby v Matthew Selt
    Kyren Wilson v Tom Ford

1pm
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Hossein Vafaei
    Mark Allen v Louis Heathcote

2:30pm (approx.)
    Judd Trump v Lee Walker
    Neil Robertson v Zhao Xintong

7pm (Round of 16)
    TBD

The seeds look to be the heavy favourites in the TV matches today, but I'd like to see Xintong pull off the upset over Robertson.

One of the best players to never make it into the Top 16. The move to Vienna yeas ago hurt his game.

Today's TV matches:

10am
    Mark Selby v Matthew Selt
    Kyren Wilson v Tom Ford

1pm
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Hossein Vafaei
    Mark Allen v Louis Heathcote

2:30pm (approx.)
    Judd Trump v Lee Walker
    Neil Robertson v Zhao Xintong

7pm (Round of 16)
    TBD

The seeds look to the heavy favourites in the TV matches today, but I'd like to see Xintong pull off the upset over Robertson.

He moved there because of partner waa from Vienna?

Robertson is awful to watch, imo. Would love to see Chinese lad beat him today. Trump and Hawkins have yet to drop frames.

Enjoyable tournament so far I must say and coverage has been excellent. I really did miss the UK events over the last few months.

Jeepers some of the shots vafaei missed today! Safety was actually very good which surprised me but missing balls over the pocket, going nowhere with that. Ronnie just coasting in third gear.

Phenomenal 135 from Trump there a few minutes ago, some of the pots were outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Trump out! Beaten by world number 80 Lee Walker. Trump needed three snookers in the final frame and actually got them but Walker held his nerve and potted a tricky brown to get it done. Commentator said that Walker has earned just £23000 over the last twelve months. Think he's got about eight grand for reaching the last 16 here so that's a big win for him.

Didn't see it. Did walker bore him to death? Slowest player I've ever seen. But good luck to him all the same, big big win for him.

• Advertisement

Fouling the black and leaving a free ball, I'd say he was panicking at that stage. Deserved to win though, scored reasonably heavily and his safety game was solid. Won the tactical battles.

Advertisement