Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical and Polymer Engineering

Options
  • 03-07-2019 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Back again!
    I'm somewhat gone from electrical/electronic engineering after looking further into it and so I've set my sights on mech & polymer engineering at AIT.
    It looks very interesting, and it has great placements and employment opportunities with the likes of Boston Scientific and Medtronic.
    I also think I'd just be far better suited to an IT than a NUI.

https://www.ait.ie/courses/AL820 - Here's a link to the course.

What can I expect from the polymer side of things?
    As far as I'm aware the mechanical side of things is more in tune with the polymer beyond the general mechanical engineering modules.
    All that's mentioned of Polymers is properties and applications.
    I've been looking into it online and most of the material is more pertaining to the chemistry side of things but there are a couple of 'polymer mechanics' videos up on Youtube.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Unless anyone on here has done the course it's a very difficult question to answer.

Your best bet is to contact someone running the course, usually there's a either a lecturer or secretary who deals with queries like yours and in general they're very happy to help out.

With no knowledge of the course the material properties, the chemistry, of polymers side is very important and it looks like there's a few modules on the course on it for a reason.

In my very limited experience the material properties of a polymer are the starting point of any design, the processing, mould, and part design all come after it.

Advertisement