Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone gigabit IP changes every day and wifi drops

Options
  • 01-11-2020 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Just switched to VF Gigabit from Virgin.
    I used a DNS for TV to access BBC Iplayer and ITV player.

This service is registered to my external ip. Every day it stops working and I have to log into the service and update the ip.

With virgin in 4 years my ip never changed once. With VF it's every day.
    Is there any work around to stop the VF router from changing ip each day?

The other issue is I get an exclamation mark beside the WiFi icon on my phone (android) with full signal regularly. When I click into the network info it says connected with no Internet and 5mb WiFi speed. Through ethernet connection is solid though.

I reckon I should replace the standard router.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

DavidJC wrote: »
    Just switched to VF Gigabit from Virgin.
    I used a DNS for TV to access BBC Iplayer and ITV player.

This service is registered to my external ip. Every day it stops working and I have to log into the service and update the ip.

With virgin in 4 years my ip never changed once. With VF it's every day.
    Is there any work around to stop the VF router from changing ip each day?

The other issue is I get an exclamation mark beside the WiFi icon on my phone (android) with full signal regularly. When I click into the network info it says connected with no Internet and 5mb WiFi speed. Through ethernet connection is solid though.

I reckon I should replace the standard router.

With Vodafone (and most other ISPs) you get a Dynamic IP as standard and would need to pay them for a static IP to ensure it doesn’t change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Depending on the DNS service you use, they may have an application that you can install on a PC that will update the IP address automatically for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Leave your modem on overnight and your ip wont change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Nowso wrote: »
    Leave your modem on overnight and your ip wont change

That is not true - as ISPs can change the IP address on their end by forcing a resync in the iddle of the night

That is not true - as ISPs can change the IP address on their end by forcing a resync in the iddle of the night

is that what there doing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

is that what there doing ?

It used to be a characteristic of some operators. Its a very very dated setup.

Move to Eir, your IP will only change after a sustained outage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Call me a cynic, but it changes regularly so Vodafone can charge you €6 a month for a fixed IP address

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭This is it

ED E wrote: »

Digiweb wouldn't change regularly either, they'll also give you a static IP if you ask but I think you've to pay if you need a subnet with GW, subnet mask, etc.

what outages would you say - ive seen it in over an hour in the day time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Move to Eir

You must think the OP is some sort of masochist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

This used to drive me nuts with Vodafone, the signal dropping every night for the IP change.

While this doesn't happen with Eir the supplied router is garbage. It doesn't like the randomised mac address feature on Android and will often take several seconds to connect to the access point.

When it does connect it says 'no internet access' which causes it to jump to the 5ghz SSID and back and forth until it finally connects to one.

It also has terrible backwards compatibility (I had to buy a WiFi dongle for my old laptop), and to top it off the range is abysmal!

Simi wrote: »
    This used to drive me nuts with Vodafone, the signal dropping every night for the IP change.

While this doesn't happen with Eir the supplied router is garbage. It doesn't like the randomised mac address feature on Android and will often take several seconds to connect to the access point.

When it does connect it says 'no internet access' which causes it to jump to the 5ghz SSID and back and forth until it finally connects to one.

It also has terrible backwards compatibility (I had to buy a WiFi dongle for my old laptop), and to top it off the range is abysmal!

dropping signal every night to refresh would drive me mad especially as you could be streaming a film or sport etc -

what outages would you say - ive seen it in over an hour in the day time

It varies. You have to be offline for long enough for your lease to expire on the agg and then somebody else has to cycle and "take" yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Simi wrote: »

I was wondering why my connection slows so much in the evenings, especially late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Does the service have an API for updating the IP Address? If so, then there is almost guaranteed to be a docker container image out there that will do it for you. Even if there is no API there might even be container that gets around this some other way. Worth checking dockerhub to see what is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is there an option in the router for a DynDNS service?

Something like this could work
    https://www.noip.com/

There are also apps to trigger the service if you have something that is on each day.

For services requiring external IP address you then provide your DynDNS URI in place of your IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Esat/BT were doing this back in 2005, Vodafone bought that business and it seems it hasn't changed. Of course back then, you could only get a fixed IP by paying for a 'business' connection and they refused to sell me a business connection so I switched to someone else.
    Call me a cynic, but it changes regularly so Vodafone can charge you €6 a month for a fixed IP address
    I think it's aimed more at frustrating anyone wanting to host anything off their home connection with the tepid upshot of a little added online obscurity (since your IP changes daily) yet I wouldn't be surprised if you're correct.

jester77 wrote: »
    Does the service have an API for updating the IP Address? If so, then there is almost guaranteed to be a docker container image out there that will do it for you. Even if there is no API there might even be container that gets around this some other way. Worth checking dockerhub to see what is available.

The RAS or (BRAS) is terminating the PPPoE session forcing the client to reconnect. I'm not sure how you imagine a containerisation system can help with this.

I'm not sure why they ever did it but it may have been a crude way to do the billing check. The RAS doesnt keep your account records, that'll be in a separate customer/billing db when you go to dial again your creds or CSI are checked against the account to ensure you're active, paid up, etc. If you force a daily reset the people deactivated over the course of the day will then be disconnected and not receive weeks of free service. You can easily do live checks like other ISPs do today, but these systems may be very very old.

I have vodafone and have it bridged to a mikrotik.
    I use Mikrotik's Dynamic Dns which I have as a cname to my own domain for ease, eg home.mydomain.com

I have a specific SSID on a vlan which has the DNS for the smart DNS.

The smart DNS provider that I use allows the zones to set via IP/Dynamic DNS.

It works flawlessly.

I would suggest getting a Raspberry pi to set up the above for dyndns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The RAS or (BRAS) is terminating the PPPoE session forcing the client to reconnect. I'm not sure how you imagine a containerisation system can help with this.

I have this exact setup and it works almost perfectly with server. I have a downtime of under 5 mins, but this is ok for me. The container monitors the IP address and updates my cloudflare dns address so that the server can be found.

You could do the exact same for the VPN provider. Have the container update the dns settings on the VPN provider when they change locally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement