Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sister Clare Crockett. Future Irish Saint?

• 24-11-2020 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

TUFZMTI1MDQzMzY1.jpg?&width=640

Sister Clare's mural in Derry.

I thoroughly recommend the below documentary and the associated book about Sister Clare Crockett from Derry who died, along with 5 girls, in an earthquake in 2016 when the school they were in collapsed.

The recently released book about her is brilliant too, it's available on Amazon and very reasonably priced. The kindle version is only £4. I finished it a couple of weeks ago and found it very moving and inspiring, hers is a remarkable story.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/8409232464/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sister+clare+crockett&qid=1600068167&sr=8-1

There is little doubt in my mind that Sr Clare is a Saint, I have begun praying to her. When Covid is all over I will make it my business to visit her grave in Derry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

As a Prod, this confuses me.

the bible says pray to God, not others.

the NT letters are addressed to "all the saints in......" so all believers were saints.

My understanding of RC sainthood is that there have to be miracles confirmed as a result of praying to the deceased.

Have there been any?

I don't doubt for a moment that she had great faith and lived a life that served others and helped in need and brought glory to God.

but her sad death in an earthquake isn't exactly martyrdom.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

the NT letters are addressed to "all the saints in......" so all believers were saints.

My understanding of RC sainthood is that there have to be miracles confirmed as a result of praying to the deceased.

Have there been any?

I don't doubt for a moment that she had great faith and lived a life that served others and helped in need and brought glory to God.

but her sad death in an earthquake isn't exactly martyrdom.....
    Everyone in heaven is a Saint. Someone being declared a saint is an infallible declaration that they are in heaven, I.e. a Saint. Being declared a Saint doesn't change anything, its recognising a state of affairs. Miracles are basically a sign confirming that the person is in heaven.

Catholics pray to Saints to basically ask the Saints to pray on their behalf. So the prayer ultimately is to God.
    It's sort of like asking a very holy person you know to pray for you for some reason, the person just happens to be dead and in heaven already.

As for Sister Clare, there are a number of miracles claimed (although not investigated or confirmed) and there is a considerable public devotion to her which is traditionally an indicator of sainthood. I expect a cause will be initiated soon.

She was not a martyr, but you dont have to be a martyr to be a Saint, as I said, everyone in heaven is a saint. As for Sister Clare, it would be argued that she displayed heroic virtue during her life.

Being declared a Saint is a long process, there are many stages but a Google would explain it better than I can here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Everyone in heaven is a Saint. Someone being declared a saint is an infallible declaration that they are in heaven, I.e. a Saint. Being declared a Saint doesn't change anything, its recognising a state of affairs. Miracles are basically a sign confirming that the person is in heaven.

Catholics pray to Saints to basically ask the Saints to pray on their behalf. So the prayer ultimately is to God.
    It's sort of like asking a very holy person you know to pray for you for some reason, the person just happens to be dead and in heaven already.

As for Sister Clare, there are a number of miracles claimed (although not investigated or confirmed) and there is a considerable public devotion to her which is traditionally an indicator of sainthood. I expect a cause will be initiated soon.

She was not a martyr, but you dont have to be a martyr to be a Saint, as I said, everyone in heaven is a saint. As for Sister Clare, it would be argued that she displayed heroic virtue during her life.

Being declared a Saint is a long process, there are many stages but a Google would explain it better than I can here.

How does that square with the bible describing commoner garden living believers as saints .. was the question.

Saint Antiskeptic, for example..

How does that square with the bible describing commoner garden living believers as saints .. was the question.

What you pose as a simple question would inevitably involve going over the whole Catholic vs Protestant debate again, including who is saved, are the dead aware of our prayers, is it a sin to pray to Saints ("worship" them), is it wrong to pray for the dead, is it wrong to have statues of Saints etc etc... Any defense of the Catholic doctrine of tbe Communion of Saints would involve having to go into this and more besides. This arguments have been played out many times over the years on the internet, I have no reason to believe that either of us would have anything original to add to what has already been said..

Is this the thread for a Catholic vs Protestant debate, or would it not be best to use the super thread and leave this one for talking about Sr Clare? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057593813

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are Saints and there are saints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You pray to the saint, and the saint pleads on your behalf to God.
    It makes it easier, as God clearly doesn't have time to listen to all the prayers that get sent their way. So you need to think of a particular saint as a kind of broker. And different brokers are better at different things.
    If I misplace my keys, I wouldn't pray to Sister Clare, I would pray to St. Anthony.

Effects wrote: »
    God clearly doesn't have time to listen to all the prayers that get sent their way. So you need to think of a particular saint as a kind of broker..

see this......

just.....

makes no sense to a prod.

God is infinite

God is eternal

God is big enough to hear my personal prayers.

but hey! if it works for you.......

see this......

just.....

makes no sense to a prod.

God is infinite

God is eternal

I wouldn't agree with the way Effects put it regarding God not being able to hear everyone's prayers.

Look at it this way... Do you think there is a point to praying? (I will assume yes) Do you think prayers can be answered? (Again I will assume yes).

If I was praying for an intention and I asked you to pray for me and remember this intention of mine in your prayer, would you do so or would you think it pointless? (Or worse!).

Do you think that the prayers of particularly holy people (the "righteous man") can be particularly useful/powerful/potent?

There is no need to over-complicate things. Praying to Saints is basically asking someone, someone who is especially holy, to pray for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

see this just makes no sense to a prod.

God is infinite

God is eternal

Nah, God can't be big enough to hear everyones prayers. Otherwise God should be giving reason as to why they ignore a lot of peoples prayers.

Praying to Saints is basically asking someone, someone who is especially holy, to pray for you.

Sounds like some kind of eternal pyramid scheme!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

TUFZMTI1MDQzMzY1.jpg?&width=640

Sister Clare's mural in Derry.

I thoroughly recommend the below documentary and the associated book about Sister Clare Crockett from Derry who died, along with 5 girls, in an earthquake in 2016 when the school they were in collapsed.

The recently released book about her is brilliant too, it's available on Amazon and very reasonably priced. The kindle version is only £4. I finished it a couple of weeks ago and found it very moving and inspiring, hers is a remarkable story.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/8409232464/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sister+clare+crockett&qid=1600068167&sr=8-1

There is little doubt in my mind that Sr Clare is a Saint, I have begun praying to her. When Covid is all over I will make it my business to visit her grave in Derry.

Why not? She was a kind hearted beautiful young woman who spend her final years serving others and her final moments saving lives when she was tragically killed.

• Advertisement

Do you think that the prayers of particularly holy people (the "righteous man") can be particularly useful/powerful/potent?

There is no need to over-complicate things. Praying to Saints is basically asking someone, someone who is especially holy, to pray for you.

if they're alive, yes. Until judgement day, rapture and the resurrection of the dead (again, look in the bible) Mother Theresa, St Paul, My Granny and Lemmy from Motorhead are dead.

and therefore in no position to mediate or pray for me.

if they're alive, yes. Until judgement day, rapture and the resurrection of the dead (again, look in the bible) Mother Theresa, St Paul, My Granny and Lemmy from Motorhead are dead.

and therefore in no position to mediate or pray for me.
    Well here is the theological split, I don't believe that is the case and believe that there are legitimate and Biblical reasons to believe as the Catholic Church does, that - essentially - the 'dead' can be prayed to and asked for their intercession. But as I mentioned earlier, there is a whole thread for the usual Protestant vs Catholic debate if you want that... Who knows why anyone would want that though, we are barely a handful of posts away from debating what is and is not necromancy :pac:

Can't we keep this thread to the topic at hand? What did you make of the documentary?

There is a section on the website where people have sent in messages about how Sr Clare's story has affected them: https://www.sisterclare.com/en/impressions

What is striking to me is the fact that these have come from all over the world, not just Ireland or countries where she worked.

130274315_118099036787062_8277764146929568096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=LbB5p1ZYXmgAX8f6YBE&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=abf1545d139188869d4769c2d8d9181d&oe=5FFB86E8

The above picture of Sr Clare was taken the day before she was killed. She was cleaning the school where she worked after a devastating flood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

A nun once told me that those backing any cause for canonisation need a lot of financial clout behind them. The sainthood process is not a cheap one it seems.

The nun I was speaking with believed that Nano Nagle would've been a saint by now if there was more money behind the push.

I'm far from an expert in this matter.

A nun once told me that those backing any cause for canonisation need a lot of financial clout behind them. The sainthood process is not a cheap one it seems.

The nun I was speaking with believed that Nano Nagle would've been a saint by now if there was more money behind the push.

I'm far from an expert in this matter.
    In most instances a cause involves a lot of legwork, investigation and documentation required, which does cost time and money for sure. However, no amount of money will have any bearing on the outcome of the process of course.

But, all in Gods time. Nano Nagle is well on her way, was declared Venerable a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

In most instances a cause involves a lot of legwork, investigation and documentation required, which does cost time and money for sure. However, no amount of money will have any bearing on the outcome of the process of course.

But, all in Gods time. Nano Nagle is well on her way, was declared Venerable a few years ago.

She also felt that the wheels that turn the process (in Rome) need to be greased, if you get my meaning.

She also felt that the wheels that turn the process (in Rome) need to be greased, if you get my meaning.
    There was some considerable evidence that in the past (reformed since by Pope Francis) that donations and payments were indeed abused by officials in the Congregation for the Causes of Saints with bigger donors even having their favored cases looked at sooner.

But there is no evidence to suggest that the end outcome was favorable or unfavorable based upon donations.

Looks like a cause will be opened by the Home of The Mother later this year for Sr Clare's sainthood.

Advertisement