Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDOnald's McPlant Range

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    It's pretty irritating as a coeliac though, that major companies are so willing to cater for what is essentially a lifestyle choice, while a genuine medical condition such as coeliac disease is not catered for to the same degree. I work in a hospital, and the canteen lists vegan, vegetarian, and halal options, but no gluten free options. This despite the fact that 1/100 Irish people are coeliacs and have no choice but to adhere to a gluten free diet. Even a lot of restaurants that used to have a gluten free section to the menu have replaced it with a vegan section, as they are catering to whatever is the current 'fad' regarding food, regardless of the consequences.

You should probably contact the catering manager of your hospital. Where I work there is vegetarian (normally a salad, occasionally veg spring rolls) and that is all.

Out of interest which restaurants have replaced their gluten free section with a vegan section.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah vegans and vegetarians aren't to blame for your situation.

Ask the actual restaurants for your type of food

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

gozunda wrote: »
    not sure why the reason for the constant refrain of the marketing phrase "cruelty free" tbh

Just so we're all clear, the term "cruelty" is permissible in this forum in relation to animal farming, as long as it is not being used to blatantly troll. This has been added to the new charter and there are no plans to change this

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058131076

Now, with that said, lets stick with the topic at hand. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Unearthly wrote: »
    Yeah vegans and vegetarians aren't to blame for your situation.

Ask the actual restaurants for your type of food

I'm not blaming vegans and vegetarians. It's just frustrating that there is such a push for vegan products when it is often impossible to get gluten free options in a wide variety of public areas/amenities considering we have an actually medical condition that needs to be catered for, and we really cannot deviate from our diet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just so we're all clear, the term "cruelty" is permissible in this forum in relation to animal farming, as long as it is not being used to blatantly troll. This has been added to the new charter and there are no plans to change this

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058131076

Now, with that said, lets stick with the topic at hand. Thanks :)

Mod note: gozunda banned for 1 week for breach of forum charter as he was very well aware of the charter updates regarding the word 'cruelty' but chose to ignore it.

• Advertisement

• OscarMIlde wrote: »
    It's pretty irritating as a coeliac though, that major companies are so willing to cater for what is essentially a lifestyle choice, while a genuine medical condition such as coeliac disease is not catered for to the same degree. I work in a hospital, and the canteen lists vegan, vegetarian, and halal options, but no gluten free options. This despite the fact that 1/100 Irish people are coeliacs and have no choice but to adhere to a gluten free diet. Even a lot of restaurants that used to have a gluten free section to the menu have replaced it with a vegan section, as they are catering to whatever is the current 'fad' regarding food, regardless of the consequences.

That’s a pretty unfair statement. My girlfriend has been a vegetarian for 14 years I can assure you it’s not a “fad” as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

That’s a pretty unfair statement. My girlfriend has been a vegetarian for 14 years I can assure you it’s not a “fad” as you put it.

I'm saying that the food producers view these things as fads. That's why slowly I am seeing more convenience gluten free products being replaced in supermarkets/shops/restaurants in favour of vegan products. And for me, I cannot substitute.

It's not meant as an attack on vegans, it's just frustrating that if I forget my lunch I have to order an expensive deliveroo, yet there are vegan options in all the nearby places to eat. Given such a high proportion of Ireland's population have coeliac disease it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm a meat eater, but extremely supportive of the move to plant-based or lab-grown meat, for environmental (as well as some ethical reasons). If I can get burgers with similar taste and similar-ish nutritional content I'll definitely switch, and as they become more mainstream younger people will move away from the meat products.

Looking forward to trying the McDs version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not a vegan, but tried one of these today. Very tasty. Apart from the fact that it was very drippy (maybe too much sauce), I thought it was very nice. I would not have an issue having it instead of the meat version.

Advertisement