Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding with no band

Options
  • 26-08-2019 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all,

My partner and I are getting married next summer and are really torn on whether to get a band or not. We've seen a few live and have loved a couple but both have quoted us between €2-2.5k, which is way out of our budget. We're considering a DJ only for the entire evening, however we've never been to a wedding with DJ only and are concerned that it won't be the same or that our guests will miss the band element. 
    We also have some opinionated family members who have so far been vocal about choices we've made (which aren't even controversial) and we know that we'll definitely get an ear full from them about this if we decide to go the DJ-only route. Has anyone who's been married just had a DJ or anyone been to a wedding with just a DJ? Did you miss the band? Did you regret your choice? I can be very indecisive and don't want to spend the next year going to and  from "I want a band" to "I don't want a band".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We just had a dj - it was part of the package from the hotel. He was fantastic. Didn't miss a band at all. You will always have opinions from people no matter what you do. Go with what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

We didn't have a band. Nobody missed it.

The last 3 weddings I've been to (including my own) didn't have a band, and honestly I far far prefer it. I hate bands at weddings. I didn't see the point in shelling out that kind of money for something that honestly I don't think many people really care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The first decision you have to make is, who's wedding is this? Then go ahead and do your thing the way you want to do it. You will never please everyone so you may as well please yourselves. To all the opinionated arguers just smile sweetly and say, that's not a bad idea, we will look at it. Then do what you want.

As to whether you have a band or not, if you can't afford it, don't do it. This is your wedding, but it is just one day in the rest of your life. Its your day, probably your parents' day, but to everyone else its just another wedding, relax, enjoy it and have it the way you want it.

As an aside, for a lot of people bands are a nightmare at a wedding - so many people haven't seen each other in ages then they can't have a conversation because they are being deafened by the band - who are always, amazingly, unable to turn the sound down, apparently their equipment doesn't have volume dials.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Been to two with just a DJ, both absolutely fine. Probably find the ones with the bands more plodding and formulaic actually. Definitely won't be having a band at ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

We didn't have a band. DJ was great and catered for all ages. Dance floor was full most of the night and absolutely mental towards the end. Great night had by all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

We rented a PA system (pretty cheap) and had a spotify playlist we'd created for the reception, D.J for after dinner and then late-night playlist when DJ finsihed up around 2am.

Dance-floor stayed full, had a good mix of songs for all age-groups. We enjoyed creating the playlist and the good thing is we didn't need to touch it all night.

Didn't miss the band at all and it wasn't a cost decision, more personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭citygal93

Thanks for all the replies. If you had asked me last week if I would scrap the band I would have said no, we need it. But the more I think about it, the more I'm coming round to it. I guess my hesitations lie mostly in the fact that I've never been to a wedding without a band and so don't know what to expect in that regard. Might look into another form of entertainment along with a DJ seeing as I'll still be saving about a grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭citygal93

Idioteque wrote: »
    We rented a PA system (pretty cheap) and had a spotify playlist we'd created for the reception, D.J for after dinner and then late-night playlist when DJ finsihed up around 2am.

Dance-floor stayed full, had a good mix of songs for all age-groups. We enjoyed creating the playlist and the good thing is we didn't need to touch it all night.

Didn't miss the band at all and it wasn't a cost decision, more personal choice.

Can I ask who looked after the PA system and playlist then? Did you give this responsibility to someone in your bridal party?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I have been to a few weddings with just DJs. I thought that was normal enough to be honest, as long as the DJ is good I don't see why anyone would mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From friends recently getting married I know the grief they had finding a band that suited both them and their pocket. A DJ you can steer towards the type of music you'd like, a band will rarely suit all tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Some of the best weddings I have been to were DJ only .. while a band can be good you need to pay big money for a good one.
    A good DJ who does weddings regularly will be just as good and it’s your day so up to you what choices you make.
    The other positive is that with a DJ you pick and choose what songs you like and what type of music... I know on our wedding day the band couldn’t do the song we wanted for first dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

The last wedding I was at only had a DJ. Probably the best wedding I was at. The music choice was brilliant and the dance floor was full the whole time. To be honest I think it's a much better choice than a band.
    I certainly would think of going down that route over a band anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You can’t beat a good band, however a good dj is better than an okay band. Just make sure it’s a good dj and nobody will care.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

We're not having a band at our wedding next year, we've booked a DJ who has excellent reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

Most bands at weddings are incredibly loud, which doesn't suit many.

At a close family member's wedding, one entire family (uncle/aunt/cousins) had to actually leave early, as my Aunt had ringing in her ears, which I thought was a terrible shame. My Mum would say the same thing - and that one of the most enjoyable weddings she was at had only a DJ.

I agree with them also, being quite intolerant of such noise. I remember going to the afters of a cousin's wedding. Arrived when the band was already started. I would have loved to have chatted to the relatives, but it just impossible.

So, in summary, I would definitely encourage you to get a good DJ instead, and save your money. People can still enjoy all the dancing, and many will prefer the slightly reduced sound level!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

citygal93 wrote: »
    Can I ask who looked after the PA system and playlist then? Did you give this responsibility to someone in your bridal party?

We rented a venue for the weekend so if you're doing hotel you might not need to get separate PA system.

Myself and the groomsmen set it up in about 15 mins (2 speakers on stands rented from proper A/V company). We had it connected to a hidden i-pad with the spotify playlist on it. One of the groomsmen hit play for the reception and then again later that night (They moved the speakers later into the main room for the speeches and then our music when DJ finished).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

citygal93 wrote: »

At one of the DJ only weddings, kit was rented and left to me to assemble (I'm a broadcast engineer, can do it blindfold) but realistically unless you have a sound engineer or broadcast engineer coming; pay the bit extra for setup!

Hotel didn't provide a PA and the DJ wasn't a regular wedding DJ (club DJ) who didn't have their own setup.

(as an aside, the only other wedding I've been to where guests set it up was the wedding of another broadcast engineer with more in attendance)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

If a band wasn't included in my package, i'd have gone for just a DJ - i'd probably prefer it too!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

In 10 years, will people remember? We didn't have a band at ours, and nobody noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

beertons wrote: »
    In 10 years, will people remember? We didn't have a band at ours, and nobody noticed.

People will only really notice if the band or dj are rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Don’t mind your opinionated family members, OP. They won’t be there when you’re eating beans out of a can because you are scrimping and saving to afford a band. Don’t let any busybodies put financial pressure on you. Having the wedding you can afford is sensible and I bet it’ll still be great. The DJ portion of the night is often the best part.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

We had a DJ at our wedding too, no band and he was absolutely brilliant. We had a relatively small wedding but he kept the music going and had everyone up dancing no bother. He was really great to deal with beforehand and made sure we were happy with the songs he was going to play; asked us which ones we definitely wanted and if there was any we definitely didn’t want!

I’ve been to loads of weddings and honestly, there was only one band I thought were amazing, the rest were either way too loud so you couldn’t hear yourself think or talk unless you left the function room which many people did, or they rambled on way too much thinking they were hilarious.

As others have said, it’s your wedding, ignore what others are saying to you. If you haven’t already, just stop discussing potential decisions with family and when all is booked and decided by you both, then it’s done and let them moan if they want. You enjoy your day and night!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

After reading this post i am seriously considering going DJ and no band. We havea city centre resturant venue so it might actually suit better! Can anyone hear reccomend a good wedding DJ for the dublin area? I have no clue how to distingus between a good and bad DJ :o

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

salmocab wrote: »
    People will only really notice if the band or dj are rubbish.

And the food!

After reading this post i am seriously considering going DJ and no band. We havea city centre resturant venue so it might actually suit better! Can anyone hear reccomend a good wedding DJ for the dublin area? I have no clue how to distingus between a good and bad DJ :o

PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 missnesbit17

PM sent :)

Hey stargazer, could you DM me who your DJ recommendation was?
    I too am at a loss where to start looking!

Hey stargazer, could you DM me who your DJ recommendation was?
    I too am at a loss where to start looking!

Done 😁

Advertisement