Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vow renewl advice?

Options
  • 27-10-2020 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all, myself and my wife are married over 12 years and together just under 20. My wife has been going through a tough time recently (bereavement and midlife changes). Her birthday is in a few weeks and I am considering re-proposing to her. I have set the ball going on getting an eternity type ring and am hoping to do it over dinner with the help of the kids at home as we are locked down. Kids are boy and girl aged 9 and 10. I could pencil in a hotel booking and head back to the church we were married in when we are out of lock down, but Im just wondering if this is a decent idea? any tips on how to get the kids involved would be greatly appreciated...
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

It sounds like a lovely idea, but when are you planning on doing this? You say "when we're out of lockdown", but we could be in and out of lockdown for God only knows how long. Planning an event under these conditions is an absolute nightmare and unbelievably stressful. Just ask any bride or groom in this group :/ And that's with weddings being allowed certain exemptions, which a vow renewal wouldn't be allowed.

So while it is a lovely idea, it might not be the best idea to do it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

woodchuck wrote: »
    It sounds like a lovely idea, but when are you planning on doing this? You say "when we're out of lockdown", but we could be in and out of lockdown for God only knows how long. Planning an event under these conditions is an absolute nightmare and unbelievably stressful. Just ask any bride or groom in this group :/ And that's with weddings being allowed certain exemptions, which a vow renewal wouldn't be allowed.

So while it is a lovely idea, it might not be the best idea to do it right now.

Yeah, it would literally be ourselves and the two kids... a small intimate gathering.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

That might be more doable then. But even "penciling in a hotel" would be difficult in the current climate :/ And what if she wants to shop for something nice to wear. Or get her hair or makeup done on the day. Or would like to include a few other very close family members and/or friends and go for a meal together.

Sorry, I don't mean to be so negative, it's just that your lovely gesture could turn into a massive source of stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

woodchuck wrote: »
    That might be more doable then. But even "penciling in a hotel" would be difficult in the current climate :/ And what if she wants to shop for something nice to wear. Or get her hair or makeup done on the day. Or would like to include a few other very close family members and/or friends and go for a meal together.

Sorry, I don't mean to be so negative, it's just that your lovely gesture could turn into a massive source of stress.

Ah it’s no worries... the practicalities can be sorted out in the future but it’s only going to be myself and the kids for the ‘event’ ... just hoping it might be a nice surprise

Advertisement