Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susie - Made In Japan

Options
  • 07-01-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I somehow remember this song being the business when it was played every day on 2001-era Phantom? Of course, I was 11 so...

If anybody has an mp3 of it, please hit me up. No record of the band exists now, that I can see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

Hi Waltzes, are you sure it's not Siouxsie you're looking for? As in Siouxsie and the Banshees?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Waltzes

Nah, they were a small Irish band, I believe. Pop rock kinda thing. Thanks for the reply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

Susie were from Tipperary and had two singles, Made in Japan and I Met A Girl. I have them both but the one you're looking for is still packed in a box somewhere. I'll let you know if it surfaces.

That's incredible, Pete, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Any chance this mp3 surfaced anywhere?

• Advertisement

I wait in hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I found the cd case in my parents house today... unfortunately the cd is nowhere to be found :(

Bump. Any recent info on this mysterious lost song?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ntbrenna

Found this Independent.ie article about the band's history:

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/entertainment/susie-27448541.html

(Above article dated as follows: "UPDATED 03 DECEMBER 2012 10:28 AM")

I have copied the most important bits here:

"The bands first single, I Met a Girl, was released in summer 2000 to widespread acclaim, prompting a broad range of comparisons to such luminaries as The Buzzcocks, The Ramones, XTC, The Pixies, Supergrass and Green Day. Veteran Rock Critic, Jackie Hayden, famously dubbed them in Hot Press magazine last year as ‘The band most bands only think they are’.

Following lengthy stints in the studio and touring the country in their white Mercedes van, Susie’s second single, Made in Japan was released in the October 2001. Again well received by the most hard-nosed of critics, the song became a radio hit on a number of Independent stations throughout the country and spent several weeks round the top of the airplay chart on Ireland’s leading alternative music station Phantom FM – where throughout November Susie were the second most requested Irish act. Up until mid-January of this year Made in Japan was still among the station’s Top 10 requests.

November 2001 also saw the band make their TV debut, recording an interview with Network 2’s music magazine show FISH, which was broadcast accompanied by the video for Made in Japan.

The double A-side Screaming at the Trees vs. Irene is Susie's third single and will be soon followed in August by the band’s fourth single release She Knows. Their debut album is then set to be released in October of this year.
    "

"Susie’s new website is also fully up and running and well worth a visit. The site is loaded with MP3’s, photographs, bio info and succulent downloadables and is a goldmine of information on the hungry young rock act. --- The address of the site is www.susiemusic.com. and copies of the band’s latest single are available at all good record stores around the country."

Unfortunately, that website is not online as of today, 14th April 2014.

Maybe Tower Records would be worth a try to see if they have any remaining stock of their singles or to see if the debut album ever hit the shelves at all?

Please update this thread if you find anything, Waltzes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

If there was any site that would have info on them, it would be here but they're not even listed on this site:

http://irishmusicdb.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Would love to get a copy of made in japan

I think I will resurrect this thread every few years until the song appears online :D

Waltzes wrote: »
    I think I will resurrect this thread every few years until the song appears online :D

Hi Waltzes; still no luck?!

I'm dead curious to hear those songs by Susie, "i met a girl" "made in japan" "Screaming at the Trees Vs Irene"! I started listening to Phantom FM when I came to Dublin in October 1998, so I would probably recognise the songs as soon as I hear them but I'm curious either way.

I have tried searching SoundCloud, YouTube and eBay for loads of variations of the band & song titles, etc., but to no avail.

There is one other place I tried: https:// www . discogs . com

I finally got my hands on some CDs (singles, EPs and albums) from some bands that I thought I'd never be able to find; e.g. 'Messiah J & The Expert' and 'npb' (National Prayer Breakfast). If you search Discogs more comprehensively than I did, something might turn up there.

Incidentally, if you were listening to Phantom back then too (around 98-99 I think it was), there was a song that I was very fond of that I never even got the correct band or song title for, presumably from a small Dublin/Irish band that disappeared overnight - I remember the DJs saying the names but was never sure exactly what they said; phonetically, the band name sounded like "Any Christian" but could have been one word or several words, and the song title sounded something like "Kiss The Night" I think...

Don't suppose it rings any bells with you by any chance?

The song had a quick tempo and was a modern rock song, maybe a grunge sound of it's time back then; hard to describe now so many years later!

Btw: I had to edit the URL for Discogs above because the site wouldn't let me post a URL in my message; I'm still considered a 'new user' because I have too few posts it seems!

Advertisement