Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heuston Station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did anyone hear the rumor that brambles are not going into where Easons was now and easons might be reopening their store there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Hey. I missed my train just yesterday evening. Had a 1 hour wait.
    Galway Hooker bar closes early for some reason.

I had the whole family, so we headed to the hotel just over the bridge and bought a few teas in the hotel bar. Was very nice.

I believe if CIE made a heated waiting area it would attract the local junkie rabble into the building. You always see them outside the main door to the benches in the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I believe if CIE made a heated waiting area it would attract the local junkie rabble into the building. You always see them outside the main door to the benches in the right.

I guess you could have a security in the waiting room or you could open up an airport style lounge which I believe exist in train stations in the UK and on the continent available to first class passengers complimentary and second class passengers willing to pay a fee to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This is CIE, this is 2019 - 185 years since the first train left Westland Row for Kingstown - these things take time. Such facilities such as waiting rooms, toilets, buffets and security don't even come on their radar. Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Many, many years ago I spent 9 hours in it on a New Years day waiting for the only train. Bad hangover, no facilities, nowhere in town open. I often imagine it'll be a lot like that in Hell.

• Advertisement

Did anyone hear the rumor that brambles are not going into where Easons was now and easons might be reopening their store there

Can anyone confirm the above

So we are now into October and no progress made on the brambles taking over the Easons shop in Heuston. Looks like they might not be moving in there at all?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eason won't be reopening regardless

L1011 wrote: »
    Eason won't be reopening regardless

With Christmas on the way it might be attractive to them but I agree if they have taken all stock and fixtures and fittings out, big ask to get that sorted for the Christmas trade.

What’s the hold up with brambles does anyone know? I know a few weeks ago there was a rumour that they were backing out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Everything was taken out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They have nice heated waiting rooms 'down the country', but can't have them in one of its major stations in the capital owing the large zombie and scumbag population.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

They have nice heated waiting rooms 'down the country', but can't have them in one of its major stations in the capital owing the large zombie and scumbag population.

Down some of the country, the ticket offices don’t, or rarely, open and the only place to wait is outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

bk wrote: »
    For some reason, BE for years have said that there is no demand between our two biggest cities after 6pm!

There was a reason: Unions. This cancer still infects CIE from head to toe.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I see Caffè Nero are advertising in Indeed.ie for staff for a new outlet at Heuston Station. I'm trying to figure out where they might be locating as I believe all units are currently occupied. Unless they are operating just a kiosk to replace the AMT Coffee kiosk when that coffee chain went bust?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Pret are moving into the outlet where Pulse deli was located. Advert up looking for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'd say that's exactly what's happening,there's a unit being constructed where AMT was at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Yeah, was a huge box with a delivery label addressed to 'cafe nerro heuston' in where the construction is going on in the auld AMT kiosk when I was passing this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Not sure where to post this query, but it involves Heuston Station, so here goes.

I booked tickets on the train to Cork this Saturday on behalf of an elderly neighbour. I asked him for his email when making the booking, but there was a typo in the email address he gave me. I got conformation of the booking, reservation number, etc. and passed these on to my neighbour.

Is there a danger that the booking might be invalidated because of the error in his email address? I couldn’t find a number to call to check this (maybe I didn’t try hard enough?), but I would hate him to turn up at Heuston on Saturday and find that he has no tickets and this his reserved seats in the ‘quiet’ carriage are not actually reserved.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

the res number is all that the TVM asks for normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Disco24

Is it possible for IE to run a number of the Cork services to Connolly, maybe even onto Dun Laoghaire with major station only stops?

If they got to stop at drumcondra or connolly would open more options for transfer via bus to airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

No. There is no capacity to run more trains to/through Connolly and if there was priority would be given to extra commuter services.

That makes sense. Would that include capacity for a cork train terminating at platform 1/2/3/4 in Connolly? Realise it would need to cross commuter lines.

Good argument for dart underground tunnel that would take Northern darts away from connolly. But that project seems far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The Cork train needs to be cleaned and serviced in the time it spends at Heuston.

Once you start adding extra journey time you risk needing extra trains to deliver the same frequency, as you also need recovery time in the event of delays.

Also there is a bus every 15 minutes for most of the day from Heuston directly to the Airport via the North Quays and Port Tunnel as it is!

Surely that’s enough to cope with the Cork train demand?

Part of my original thinking was a Belfast to Cork train route. Know its direction change at connolly but still think good idea.

I do think if you're looking to get more people away from cars the more options the better within reason. Obviously an all stations from Bray to Cork wouldn't work but Connolly evening service would pick up sizable numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Why do people think that there is demand for a Cork - Belfast train service? I would say the number of people looking to travel between them is negligible. If the journey was theoretically possible (therefore both trains serving a common Dublin station), what would the benefits be over the small number of passengers looking to continue their journey simply changing trains?

Guarantee there's people travelling between 2 of the 3 biggest cities on the island, work, colleges, leisure. Not to mention the towns it serves in between, Newry, Dundalk, Drogheda, Portlaoise, Thurles etc. All opens up opportunity for people to travel to college. Current process is a train- luas- train or buses x2 with timetable difference.

And those people are incapable of using the tram?

How do people cope in London for example where they have to use the underground to transfer between mainline stations?

It’s pretty normal to make connections like that.

You're trying to make the shift from car to public transport as attractive as possible with the least amount of transfers, Train- Tram - Train is going to be hard to compete with car jouney. If its possible without impacting other services it's worth considering IMO. Its a model that's used in Europe eg Munich to Berlin onto Hamburg.

• Advertisement

Seen the European model of inter City trains stopping at a station outside of final stop city to allow transfers.

Would Adamstown work as a stop for Cork/ Waterford/ Galway trains to allow ppl transfer to Dart SW route and onwards to Drumcondra/ Connolly?

Advertisement