Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midsommar (new movie from director of Hereditary)

Options
13»

Comments

El Duda wrote: »
    I thought it was so much better than Hereditary

it was indeed.

the whole point of this movie imo is to be sort of semi-hypnotised by the imagery, cinematography and the music and go along for the ride.

if that doesn't happen then you'd probably end up thinking that it's sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

glasso wrote: »
    it was indeed.

the whole point of this movie imo is to be sort of semi-hypnotised by the imagery, cinematography and the music and go along for the ride.

I watched it on an oculus go and it was a bizarre experience. Bit of a sensory overload

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

it was indeed.

Exactly. It's also the best example I’ve seen of conveying that weird feeling you get when taking psychedelics to a wide audience. I've only done mushrooms once in my life, it was up there with the worst few hours I've ever experienced.

Just seeing Will Poulter on his bad trip took me right back. I think that's the whole point of the film tbh. That hypnotic, mesmerising vibe is very mushroomy through most of the film.

Disclaimer: Kids, do not take mushrooms/psychedelic drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Stewball

El Duda wrote: »
    Exactly. It's also the best example I’ve seen of conveying that weird feeling you get when taking psychedelics to a wide audience. I've only done mushrooms once in my life, it was up there with the worst few hours I've ever experienced.

Just seeing Will Poulter on his bad trip took me right back. I think that's the whole point of the film tbh. That hypnotic, mesmerising vibe is very mushroomy through most of the film.

Disclaimer: Kids, do not take mushrooms/psychedelic drugs.

I watched this last night. Enjoy it.
    Florence Pugh is an excellent actor - also quite aesthetically pleasing.

Regards taking mushrooms - I had a different experience to yourself.
    I had a great time taking them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Massively disappointing this was.

Aster just basically invents his own extremely negative take on native Pagan European solstice worship culture through the guise of a fictional demented Swede death cult that is witnessed by a bunch of obnoxious, selfish, smartarse american students, two of whom are on a break up.

It's nicely shot but it is desperately dull, its trying to be deep but there is no weight behind the story or the subject matter whatsoever and it really shows. Its just a lame break up movie. That's it. It is no way comparable to the brilliant 'Hereditary' because that's what this film is. A break up movie. And everything can be seen coming 80 miles down the Swedish mountains.

Was massively disappointed with this as I loved Hereditary. Hopefully next one will be better but after this, I found it so bad, I was shocked. Was like two different creators were at the wheel. Bizarre.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

buried wrote: »
    Aster just basically invents his own extremely negative take on native Pagan European solstice worship culture through the guise of a fictional demented Swede death cult that is witnessed by a bunch of obnoxious, selfish, smartarse american students, two of whom are on a break up.

A break up movie. And everything can be seen coming 80 miles down the Swedish mountains.
    These two points sum it up for me. I watched it mainly to see if Florence Pugh is as good as I've heard. She is fantastic. But at 2 hrs 50 mins this was far too long. As a (mainly) psychological horror I get the need to stretch out the foreshadowing with its various symbolisms, and then see it play out, but smarter choices could have made this more accessible (though I think one of the concerns here is to be true to the dynamics of the story, rather than playing to a wide audience). In fairness, I stayed 'til the inevitable ending, which is good testament to the all-round acting and direction, but it'd be too niche for me to recommend it to many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

These two points sum it up for me. I watched it mainly to see if Florence Pugh is as good as I've heard. She is fantastic. But at 2 hrs 50 mins this was far too long. As a (mainly) psychological horror I get the need to stretch out the foreshadowing with its various symbolisms, and then see it play out, but smarter choices could have made this more accessible (though I think one of the concerns here is to be true to the dynamics of the story, rather than playing to a wide audience). In fairness, I stayed 'til the inevitable ending, which is good testament to the all-round acting and direction, but it'd be too niche for me to recommend it to many people.

I was going to try to watch this again to just see if there was any change in the dynamic on how I may have viewed it the first time. I bought this feicing yoke and its just sitting on the collection shelf, but, its like making time to do some sort of job like cleaning the gutters that you have put on the long finger.

I loved 'Hereditary' so I feel i must give it another chance but I just cant bear to go through it again due to the dullness.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I just watched this again now that's available on Netflix and I enjoyed it even more. There were things I missed or didn't pay as much attention to the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭smillingsam

It was an interesting movie, it was hard to know what way it was going to end up, which keeps you guessing until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,342 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Film 4 showing on Wednesday night

• Advertisement
Advertisement