Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lion King Remake (Jon Favreau)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

El Duda wrote: »

2. Disney have made several 'live action' remakes over the last few years. Not a single one is better than the original. I don't even think Disney are trying to make them better. A cynical take would be that they are ONLY interested in money.

It's not cynical, making money is so obviously the only reason that these films are being made. And it lets scriptwriters off the hook for a few years- it's far easier to remake and sell The Lion King, than to come up with a brand new story and market it. It's all about risk for large studios as to what movies they make, and a remake of The Lion King is very low risk as it is practically guaranteed to make serious cash.

I haven't seen anyone being 'vitriolic'- I suspect most of the so-called 'vitriol' is just people like me, who think it is lazy and pointless film-making and won't see it because they know they would get nothing out of it.

If other people enjoy it, great! I really could not care less what other people find entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

Was it on par with the original, NO. Was it still a good movie, YES.

I thought the new riffing of Timon and Pumba was a highlight. Especially the meta Beauty and the Beast reference.

Be Prepared, was turned into an awkward almost spoken-line song.

Beyonce's singing was a bit much at times.

The movie looked great, though and I still enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Be Prepared, was turned into an awkward almost spoken-line song.

Funnily enough, I thought Be Prepared was the best scene in it! In fact the whole elephant graveyard sequence of events was done very well, and I think it was because it stepped a little outside the super realism that the rest of the movie was going for. It was nearly a little bit dreamlike, which worked in its favour. Similarly the scene where Simba meets Rafiki again as an adult in the jungle - had an eerie, dreamy quality to it that I liked. This scene ended up being too short though - they cut the most important part which is Rafiki's bit about the past hurting.
    So interestingly, it was the scenes that weren't trying so hard to be so realisitc that worked best for me.

I will say this for the new version, Scar is a more tragic figure in this one and I think it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I would have enjoyed the 2 hours more if the children in the cinema would have stopped talking and if the fellow near me would have took some breaks with stuffing popcorn down his throat instead of non stop eating. I think it is sensible to wait until films are nearly going out of the cinema to see them in a near empty room for example what I am doing with Aladdin and Toy Story 4.

Tsch, that's nothing. I'm in India at the moment. The film started at 12:40pm, people were still coming in and walking (slowly) up the aisles ten minutes later. There was one woman who thought it would be a great idea to bring her two year old, who refused to be carried, and sit at the very back so the 2 year old had to walk down by herself every time she wanted to go out. They also have a hard intermission in every movie - basically, half way through the scene with Timon and Pumbaa finding Simba, the cinema just went black - 15 minute break for people to get food. Apparently, a normal occurrence in Indian cinema.

In terms of the movie, I was a massive fan of the original. I remember seeing it in Thurles when I was about 10, and it stuck with me. I generally watch it once a year, and whenever I need to be cheered up, I generally put on the soundtrack. I really enjoyed this version. I didn't prefer it, but I didn't expect to. It took the story, kept it more or less the same, bar some enhancements to Nala, and put some small twists on it. The voice acting was pretty good, with Timon, Pumbaa, Scar, and of course, JEJ back as Musfasa being the high points. The rest did a serviceable job. The animation was amazing, and I felt it got most of the emotion across. I knew that they had changed Be Prepare into more of a spoken word song, so I was (ahem) prepared for that, but I thought it worked quite well. The main thing that disappointed was the Hyenas. I loved the relationship between Shenzai, Banzai, and Ed, but that didn't quite work this time around, the scene in the original with them denying they knew it was Mufasas son, and Eds brain rattling in his skull was a particular highlight for me in the original.

Overall, was it as good as the original? For me, no, but I'm sure for the people whose "original" is this, they will go the opposite. Was it a good retelling of the story? Definitely. In terms of the live action remakes, I've not been a huge fan, and so far none of them have stood near the originals for me (bar Cinderella, but I don't hold the original in high esteem anyway), but this came the closest, and it may encourage me to give Aladdin a change. Maybe.

I wonder though did people enjoy it because they just knew they'd enjoy the story and it allowed them to gloss over the film's shortcomings? I certainly felt that way at times. There were scenes that I enjoyed, but I'm not sure if it was just because I enjoyed those scenes and moments from the original and just liked the story anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I would have enjoyed the 2 hours more if the children in the cinema would have stopped talking and if the fellow near me would have took some breaks with stuffing popcorn down his throat instead of non stop eating. I think it is sensible to wait until films are nearly going out of the cinema to see them in a near empty room for example what I am doing with Aladdin and Toy Story 4.

Preferred listening the kids than Beyonce, she was awful

Why did they have her as Nala

Ruined it

Thought it was meh overall, Scar was crap too

Jeremy Irons made Scar

They should have went the Nvidia route and remade it as a like for like tech demo

Thats all it was anyway, only worse

As cast voices were crap compare to original imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Saw it with my young lad on Friday.

It was..... OK.

I actually thought bringing back JEJ was a mistake. He wasnt as imposing or as powerful as in the original and his scenes showed that imo.

Also the first scene after the intro (which was great) with Scar and Mufasa was awful. They just seemed to add bits for the sake of it and it fell flat tbh.

I did enjoy Timon and Pumbaa (although Seth Rogen should never ever sing high notes), and the ending was pretty damn awesome.

But meh. A big pile of meh tbh.

Can't say my young lad got captivated by it in the same way I did with the original, we watched Toy Story 4 the same day and hes still talking about that which says it all imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

El Duda wrote:
    I begrudgingly must admit that I really enjoyed this. The critics had been very harsh on this and I went in expecting to hate it. I was expecting it to be a lifeless and lazy but it surprised me in a number of ways.

Genuine question borne of pure curiosity - why would you go to a movie you're expecting to hate???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Timon (Billy Eichner) was mvp for me

Too much Nala (Beyonce) and this Scar (Chiwetel Ejiofor) was not scary

I took tissues expecting to be bawling, never used

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Timon (Billy Eichner) was mvp for me

Too much Nala (Beyonce) and this Scar (Chiwetel Ejiofor) was not scary

I took tissues expecting to be bawling, never used

Was he meant to be? He's not scary in the original either, just conniving and sly.

I actually thought this version fleshed out his jealousy a bit more and was actually a little more intersting than the original version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

PressRun wrote: »
    Was he meant to be? He's not scary in the original either, just conniving and sly.

I actually thought this version fleshed out his jealousy a bit more and was actually a little more intersting than the original version.

It was interesting when it deviated and gave a bit more story than the original.

Other than that I thought it was mostly pointless. They could have made a shot remake with the original voice cast and it would have been better Imo.
    There was just more life and vibrancy in the original.

I suppose it's because I grew up with the original. Suppose of they gave LotR the same treatment I'd feel the same.

Still, Disney got paid and that's all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Genuine question borne of pure curiosity - why would you go to a movie you're expecting to hate???

Female friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

El Duda wrote:
    Female friend

Interesting. I wouldn't go to a movie I was expecting to hate regardless of who asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

Tbf, I booked the tickets way before the reviews were out. It was the reviews and some of the 'side by side comparison' clips that filled me with trepidation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I enjoyed it but agree with the comments about it being a like watching the National Geographic channel. The lions in particular were so lifelike that it made it hard to distinguish who was who, particularly in scenes with poor/dim lighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought it was meh. Out of the live action Disney ones I've seen, this goes bottom. It doesn't do anything to actually justify its existence which I thought the others at least tried, and some managed to pull off. This is just a cash grab.

It has some good parts, mainly Timon and Pumbaa related, and He Lives in You is done in Xhosa in the credits and it sounds great, and I thought young Simon and Nala were good, but outside that its either lazy or just bad (Spirit was an awful song choice and Beyonce can't voice act at all).

I hope Disney's next versions are better, maybe do instrumentals of iconic songs from the animated films like they did with Jungle Book if they're doing anything animal related again.

Id still have hopes for Mulan and The Little Mermaid, but another bad one will kill this for people I think. Only really have Pocahontas and Hercules to be ruined after that really, along with inevitable sequels to these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

titan18 wrote: »
    I thought it was meh. Out of the live action Disney ones I've seen, this goes bottom. It doesn't do anything to actually justify its existence which I thought the others at least tried, and some managed to pull off. This is just a cash grab.

It has some good parts, mainly Timon and Pumbaa related, and He Lives in You is done in Xhosa in the credits and it sounds great, and I thought young Simon and Nala were good, but outside that its either lazy or just bad (Spirit was an awful song choice and Beyonce can't voice act at all).

I hope Disney's next versions are better, maybe do instrumentals of iconic songs from the animated films like they did with Jungle Book if they're doing anything animal related again.

Id still have hopes for Mulan and The Little Mermaid, but another bad one will kill this for people I think. Only really have Pocahontas and Hercules to be ruined after that really, along with inevitable sequels to these.

And potentially Tarzan as well

• Registered Users Posts: 23 helenawalsh

I think it wasn't that bad, I mean the story is pretty much the same as the original, but they should have tried to cast Jeremy Irons as Scar or maybe not cast Beyoncé at all. Her voice isn't convincing and I'd say it distracts us from the main story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I think it wasn't that bad, I mean the story is pretty much the same as the original, but they should have tried to cast Jeremy Irons as Scar or maybe not cast Beyoncé at all. Her voice isn't convincing and I'd say it distracts us from the main story.

The story is 99% the same.
    The dialog is 95% the same.
    To me it looks like a rerelease with better graphics.

I wasn't a huge jungle book fan, but at least they made an effort to deviate from the original movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 helenawalsh

The story is 99% the same.
    The dialog is 95% the same.
    To me it looks like a rerelease with better graphics.

I wasn't a huge jungle book fan, but at least they made an effort to deviate from the original movie.

I agree with you. I'm kinda annoyed with the fact that disney hasn't really been creative in the past few years, it just releases remakes to fill the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Loved the original which was a massive fave in our house when the kids were young.

Went to see this in 4DX in Parnell St. along with my daughter.

We absolutely looooved it! What an experience!!!

I was on the fence about this but after reading the last three pages... I think I can safely give it a miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What I liked:

- Nala/Sarabi more screentime and bigger roles
    - Timon and Pumbaa
    - Hyenas much bigger threat and scarier
    - CGI in general was amazing

What I didn't like:

- Adult Simba/Nala butchered Can You Feel The Love Tonight
    - Actors sound bored half the time
    - The blank facial expressions,
    - The humour/jokes didn't hit as well as the first one
    - Scar was bleh

It's a solid remake, I have no intention of wanting to see it again quick.

The jungle book remake was fantastic. I doubt however they could change much storywise and Lion King is a fairly simple story so I don't knock them for that, it's just they have literally copied and pasted lines from the original without the emotion.

Like Scar saying...I'm surprised to see you...alive....

It was funny as you see the hyenas gulping and panicking and Jeremy Irons delivers it perfectly but in this you just see blank stares!

I was on the fence about this but after reading the last three pages... I think I can safely give it a miss

Gf got her way :P

I really didn't like it at all. The original never resonated with me when I was child (I know, I have no soul etc) and this one was identical but worse. It was a bit of fun trying to guess the voice actors. Eric Andre was the most obscure one I could get. I had no idea who Timon was. Oh well. Next time I get to pick the film I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Has a score of 7.1 on imdb, compared with 8.5 for the original.

Interesting because a lot of people I speak to think this far surpasses the animated version, to the point where the animated version is no longer watchable, the money its making I guess backs that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Interesting because a lot of people I speak to think this far surpasses the animated version, to the point where the animated version is no longer watchable, the money its making I guess backs that up.

Is visual impairment a common trait amongst your friends and family? :D

Haven't heard anyone say that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I finally got around to bringing the little fella to this.

It's hard to call really. The CGI to be fair was amazing and the voice acting in parts was better. I think if they could bring James Earl Jones back why not others?

Scar for example was probably the most frustrating in that I found that some lines he delivered were actually much better better than the original like the conversation between him and Mufassa probably the bigger lines like "long live the king" weren't even close. Really Jeremy Irons should have been brought back too in my opinion.

My 7 year old absolutely loved it. I enjoyed it and it was nice to maybe see the film for the first time through his eyes as it is hard to get him to watch the "old" disney films.

Not a slam dunk but I give it a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Watched this with my two kids. 5yr old fell sleep and 10yr old laughed at the fart jokes, but was otherwise only mildly amused.

For myself, I spent most of the time marvelling at the imagery. Stunning in places. (I heard an interview with Jon Favreau where he said there is a shot in the film that is actually real, but he didn't elaborate. I couldn't spot it). Overall I thought it was okay and not as good as the animated version. In particular, I thought the antelope stampede was much tamer and lacked any punch.

The mouth movement of the characters reminded me of the original Planet of the Apes. Like as if the animators were restricting the movements to those of the real animals. This really impacted their characterisation for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thought it was grand (but not a patch on the original).

I can forgive the lack of emoting, the giving Beyonce creative freedom to create a new and meh song and to pay her per note hit, the usage of voices because they're names even though they're worse at singing - John Oliver and Seth Rogan, the new Be Prepared, and some other bits and pieces......but they left out Lovely Bunch of Coconuts! Unforgivable!

🤪

• Advertisement

Ha, k, so I watched the original and the coconut song was stuck in my head for days. Mad that you just posted this clip now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Today in ‘huh?’ film news: https://deadline.com/2020/09/the-lion-king-sequel-barry-jenkins-moonlight-director-disney-1234586787/

Barry Jenkins (of Moonlight and If Beale Street Could Talk indie cred) making a Lion King sequel.

I mean, 2020 has been a weird as **** year, so this fits.

Also inevitable that Disney was going to start sequelising these remakes once they ran out of material.

I’m shocked. SHOCKED. No, wait. 1.65billion. Okay, That makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With the giant pay-cheque is there a promise to Jenkins to bankroll any personal projects that were gestating in preproduction. Disney control so much of Hollywood now you could imagine they can promise (and threaten) a lot now .

It might just work, Jenkins has a real chance to make something from this. He’ll have to overcome that emotionless, photorealism cgi from Favreaus film, but if he has free rein on the script and they can do something with the visuals, they may be able to pull off something special.

Lion king is a huge platform, and if they allow Jenkins enough freedom, Disney could be looking at another Black Panther scenario on their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,309 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So photo realistic Simba's Pride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

pixelburp wrote: »
    With the giant pay-cheque is there a promise to Jenkins to bankroll any personal projects that were gestating in preproduction. Disney control so much of Hollywood now you could imagine they can promise (and threaten) a lot now .

Why would they need to? Any 'personal project' is potentially risky and Disney is as risk-free as they come. I imagine they wanted Jenkins for the kudos and Jenkins wanted the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I much preferred the remake ,in fact,one of my favourite all time movies,and I loved the original too.

Advertisement