Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Possible** Ryanair UK pilots strike in 2nd half of August

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is this the earliest it can be?

I am flying with them 5th and 12th August.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is this the earliest it can be?

I am flying with them 5th and 12th August.

Seems so. According to the Independent piece, the earliest date for strike action would be 21st August (a Wednesday).

UK based Ryanair pilots to strike on 22-23 August and 2-4 September (5 days in total). Probable fall out for flights to and from Ireland here i suppose. Would an airport like Knock and their UK routes be particularly affected if no crew is based there?

https://www.independent.ie/business/ryanair-pilots-in-uk-vote-for-five-days-of-strike-action-starting-later-this-month-38383970.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

We're flying to Mallorca August 24th.

I presume that ex-Dublin, non-UK flights shouldn't be affected by fallout from 22-23 strike.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    We're flying to Mallorca August 24th.

I presume that ex-Dublin, non-UK flights shouldn't be affected by fallout from 22-23 strike.

D.

Probably not, but Irish based Ryanair pilots in the IALPA union are also balloting for strike action. Result of their vote is due tomorrow, so you may yet be affected unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Probably not, but Irish based Ryanair pilots in the IALPA union are also balloting for strike action. Result of their vote is due tomorrow, so you may yet be affected unfortunately.

Plus here they (IALPA/Fórsa) are only required to give 7 days notice. In the UK (BALPA) it's 14 days notice AFAIK, so strictly speaking any strike here could overlap or coincide with UK strike.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0809/1067867-result-of-ballot-of-ryanair-pilots-due-today/

IALPA Ryanair pilots have voted in favour of industrial action. No strike dates announced yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Following, 4 of us flying from Dublin to Amsterdam on the 23rd and returning on the 26th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I am due to fly out of Dublin on August 20th and return August 27th. Even though the Irish Ryanair pilots have voted for industrial action they haven't formally announced dates yet and even if they do strike they'll likely coincide with the British pilots' strike which is due to take place August 23rd.

If I buy insurance today does anyone know if it would be honoured in the event that the Irish pilots were to strike on the 20th? Coverforyou.ie have decent cancellation cover and are significantly cheaper than multitrip and the other big insurers. I'm just concerned that I might have a battle with them if a strike were to be announced for the my departure date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭davepatr07

Anyone hear of updates on this regarding the Dublin based pilots going on strike? Was supposed to be announcement by Unions today, guess no news is good news.

• Advertisement

davepatr07 wrote: »
    Anyone hear of updates on this regarding the Dublin based pilots going on strike? Was supposed to be announcement by Unions today, guess no news is good news.
    My thinking also, hopefully something has been sorted out.

Ok just seen an update on the journal. The trade union has only accepted an invitation to have talks with the pilots which if I remember correctly is tomorrow or Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭davepatr07

Looks like there's talks tomorrow afternoon.

They still have to give 7 days notice, I'm flying out early Thur 22nd so just hoping it will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/ryanair-cabin-crew-in-spain-announce-10-days-of-strikes-943855.html

See the Spanish cabin crew are looking to go on strike now too. Have my first holiday in 3 years booked for the end of the month, this buggers that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

unklerosco wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/ryanair-cabin-crew-in-spain-announce-10-days-of-strikes-943855.html

See the Spanish cabin crew are looking to go on strike now too. Have my first holiday in 3 years booked for the end of the month, this buggers that.

Feck. No dates mentioned in that article, have they nominated any dates yet?

Unions representing Ryanair cabin crew in Spain have announced plans to hold 10 days of strikes in September unless the airline changes its plans to close several bases in the country.

The SITCPLA and USO workers' unions said in a statement they planned to formally lodge notice of strikes unless Ryanair makes concessions in the coming days.

The strikes are planned for 1-2 September, as well as the 6th, 8th, 13th, 15th, 20th, 22nd, 27th and 28th.

Unions representing Ryanair staff in Britain, Ireland and Portugal have also announced plans to strike in the coming weeks over pay and conditions.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0814/1068797-ryanair-pilots-strike/

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

Booked Crete for the 23rd with Ryanair. What are my options if it is cancelled? Refund? Just flight or hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

I've Manchester booked Friday evening 23rd. High enough chance of it cancelled?

Is it possible some flights will be unaffected? Flying out of Dublin to Amsterdam on the 23rd and returning on the 26th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

When will we know what routes will be affected on the 22nd and 23rd?

I was just about to book a flight flying out the 23rd, perhaps I better hold off on it now though. Bugger!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Flying to Tenerife on the 22nd, or so I thought! When will I know if it’s cancelled and what are my options then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

hi,,, flying from cork to london with ryanair on aug 23rd - flight from london to venice on the 24th 7.30am - what should i do? i have to make that flight from london to venice...

All up to date and everything as scheduled with flight tracker... any idea when this gets updated? Would rather it now so can cancel hotel than a last minute job :(

rizzee wrote: »
    All up to date and everything as scheduled with flight tracker... any idea when this gets updated? Would rather it now so can cancel hotel than a last minute job :(

whats flight tracker? is this any use to me? due to fly cork - london with ryanair on the 23rd

sporina wrote: »
    whats flight tracker? is this any use to me? due to fly cork - london with ryanair on the 23rd

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/travel-updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Last year most routes affected were high capacity/frequency routes between UK and Ireland so as to reduce disruption for sun destinations. You'd have to imagine it will be the case this time around so if your flight is to the UK, I would expect a fairly high chance of disruption, particularly as the UK based pilots will also be striking, but for elsewhere all you can really do is sit tight until they announce contingency plans, presumably over the coming days.

A full refund or a change of booking onto next available flight are the likely options they'll give for anyone affected. It should be pretty highly publicised in the media when any changes are arranged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

I'm supposed to be flying out on the 23rd,to the UK, so my flight I'm more than likely expecting to be disrupted or canceled.

What happens in this scenario, do you just get a full refund? Do they put you on the next available flight? Put you up in a hotel? Do you receive any compo, or what's the story in these situations?

I remember one of the last times there was a Ryanair strike on, some Boardsies were playing a lotto of sorts, booking flights on routes they reckoned had a very high chance of being cancelled so as to receive some sort of compensation or something, but my memory is hazy.

i emailed Ryanair and got this reply (probably generic)

"Unfortunately at the moment, we have no information about the strike. Our flights are not effected currently and all Ryanair flights are scheduled to be operated as planned, but if anything changes in the schedule and your flight is effected, we will notify you immediately in SMS and email as well. Unless the flight is cancelled, I am afraid we can not offer a free flight change or refund at this moment as a precaution. We don't know when will we be able to confirm anything, but at the moment, we don't have any information, so we count on your understanding of this matter.

I trust this has clarified our position on the matter, however, please be assured of my full attention should you have any further questions or concerns"

• Advertisement

I called the travel agent I had booked with through and they said that until Ryanair advise them officially that the strike action is going head, they are unable to make any alterations to the booking.

I called Ryanair and by the sounds of things, disturbed a young lady from her sleep. She read a piece of script to me and then hung up!

So we wait in hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

its never easy to know exactly what will happen with Ryanair if the strike does take place

not all their pilots are in the Union so if the non Union pilots go to work then obviously only a certain percentage of flights will be affected.

It is also complicated by the UK pilots also possibly striking on both days next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Ryanair claim to currently have a surplus of pilots. So maybe the impact might not be so severe?

matt cooper show

chatting to Pat Dawson and Eddie Wilson..

starts at about 37 mins.. after the news..

https://www.todayfm.com/shows/last-word-matt-cooper-234816

its v informative..

looks like if the strike goes ahead, sun destinations will be protected - with perhaps provincial uk flights affected..

There was a video uploaded with some info on the Ryanair Facebook page earlier if anyone is interested. On mobile so cant share.

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote: »

yeah - strange though how he didn't mention the court injunction which is being heard on Monday morning.. I am praying that it will be granted..

I don't think the strike will go ahead.. no judge in their right mind should allow this strike to proceed (to my knowledge)..

Iradio published an article on facebook saying it could be Wednesday before the high court makes a decision on whether the 180 pilots can strike or not. Not much good for people flying Thursday and Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Article on the journal.ie
    https://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-high-court-forsa-strike-4773307-Aug2019/

"The judge said that he hopes to have a decision in the case by Wednesday morning, but said that he may be in a position to deliver his ruling on Tuesday afternoon."

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Have until tomorrow to cancel hotel. Flight Friday evening. Fingers crossed!

The judge has gone off to "gather his thoughts" so decision will be made tomorrow :mad:

• Advertisement

lfen wrote: »
    The judge has gone off to "gather his thoughts" so decision will be made tomorrow :mad:

Seriously??? 🀬🀬🀬

"During submissions to the court today, Mr Hayden said it is also Ryanair’s case that the strike ballot is invalid because not all relevant members of the union who are directly employed by Ryanair were balloted.

Issues were also raised by the airline about the number of ballot papers issued to the union members.

The claims are denied. "
    https://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-strike-injunction-decision-due-tomorrow-4775016-Aug2019/

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

is it just Dublin flights or could Cork flights be affected too?

Any update this morning? Getting the email to check into my flight Friday but not sure whether to do it yet?

No strike this week, yay

https://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-strike-11-4776166-Aug2019/

"THE HIGH COURT has granted Ryanair an injunction preventing its Irish-based pilots from going on strike later this week"

The Irish injunction was granted. Enjoy your trip :)

woo hoo - hope all will be ok in Stansted on Fri...

Great news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

sporina wrote: »
    woo hoo - hope all will be ok in Stansted on Fri...

There was a twitter post from Stansted Airport posted in another thread suggesting all flights will operate from Stansted:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111037691&postcount=598

just got a text from ryanair saying that all flights will operate as scheduled on fri.. (my flight is fri). woo hoo

• Advertisement
Advertisement