Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need Help with Bike Box

Options
  • 20-07-2019 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I am hoping someone might be able to help.

I am racing in the US next weekend and fly out on Thursday morning.

Went to pack the TT bike (Giant Trinity) into my bike box (Bike Box Alan) but due to cable restrictions around the handle bars and the height of the arm rests it does not fit. Unable to adjust the height of the TT bars as it would involve too much work with Di2 cables etc...

Anyone have any idea where I could get my hands on a Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 by Wednesday evening. Wiggle cant get it to me till Thursday.

Anyone aware of any shops that might have them in stock?

If I cant get the TT bike over I will need to use my roadie and after spending a few months building the TT bike that would really P155 me off.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Wackoy2k wrote: »

Went to pack the TT bike (Giant Trinity) into my bike box (Bike Box Alan) but due to cable restrictions around the handle bars and the height of the arm rests it does not fit. Unable to adjust the height of the TT bars as it would involve too much work with Di2 cables etc...

Anyone have any idea where I could get my hands on a Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 by Wednesday evening. Wiggle cant get it to me till Thursday.

If I cant get the TT bike over I will need to use my roadie and after spending a few months building the TT bike that would really P155 me off.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure were you are based but Wheelworx and cycle 360 both rent bike boxes might be of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Not sure were you are based but Wheelworx and cycle 360 both rent bike boxes might be of some help.

Thanks. Was looking to contact Wheelworx on Monday but not sure if I can get it in time.

I’m stuck one Kilkee till Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I would suggest posting in the Cycling forum as you might get some help there as well.

Wheelworx have B&W bike boxes... Not sure if you will fit your bike in it. Check the dimensions of it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Rocasports Ireland do them. Think they rent too

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Rocasports Ireland do them. Think they rent too

Thanks. Looked at Rocasports on Friday and your looking at 15 days for delivery. Bike24 is showing Thursday delivery which is just that little bit too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Wheelworx charge €50 for rental AFAIK

niallo32 wrote: »
    Wheelworx charge €50 for rental AFAIK

Dropped a message to wheelworx alright over the weekend. Will ring them tomorrow. Just hope they have a box / bag like the AeroComfort that allows you to keep the handlebars on.

Hoping it’s possible to get it shipped to me too as I can’t get to Dublin before I fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Thanks in advance.

I cant help with where to get one of those on such short notice but on a total side note but If you're interested to sell that bike box alan....I'd be interested :o... was actually looking to buy one of these!

S_D wrote: »
    I cant help with where to get one of those on such short notice but on a total side note but If you're interested to sell that bike box alan....I'd be interested :o... was actually looking to buy one of these!

I have it up for sale already after this fiasco. Only thing is I will be using it this week if I can’t get sorted with the TT bike as I will need to bring the road bike but will be selling it once I am back after the week away.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

I have it up for sale already after this fiasco. Only thing is I will be using it this week if I can’t get sorted with the TT bike as I will need to bring the road bike but will be selling it once I am back after the week away.

is it the bike box alan easy fit (Designed for TT bikes)?

• Advertisement

S_D wrote: »
    is it the bike box alan easy fit (Designed for TT bikes)?

No, it’s just the bike box Alan. If it was the easy fit TT I would be holding onto it as it allows you to fit pack the bike with bars attached.

That’s the problem with the packing that I am having. Can remove the bars but the give on the brake cable and Di2 cables doesn’t allow me to move the bars enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

No, it’s just the bike box Alan. If it was the easy fit TT I would be holding onto it as it allows you to fit pack the bike with bars attached.

That’s the problem with the packing that I am having. Can remove the bars but the give on the brake cable and Di2 cables doesn’t allow me to move the bars enough.

Have you tried taking the rear deraileur off? My TT is a 62cm and I'd trouble getting it into a bike box earlier in the year

niallo32 wrote: »
    Have you tried taking the rear deraileur off? My TT is a 62cm and I'd trouble getting it into a bike box earlier in the year

No Problem with getting the frame itself into the box. Problem is with the headset. There is no movement due to the cables to get it away from the frame so I can close the box.

Not confident enough to disconnect everything to have the bars removed.

Hoping now to maybe find a Giant retailer in the US that can re-assemble when I arrive and then buy a Scicon AeroComfort Over there so I can bring it back in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

why would you not be able to dismantle the bar, the di2 cable should be long enough to take off ?

Advertisement