Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir webmail POP3 server

Options
  • 11-08-2019 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Since Thursday it appears the Eir Webmail server is blocking my IP address and I cannot get incoming mail via. POP3. I use a fixed IP address via. Vodaone.

If I use a VPN it works.

Any ideas why the Eir Webmail server is blocking my IP address?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Blocking should only ever be implemented on the outbound(SMTP) side. They might start banning based on repeat bad login attempts but that'd be temporary. Any chance a machine on your network is continually attempt a login?

Also confirm that you're being blocked and not just missing a route to the address as a VPN could also resolve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

ED E wrote: »
    Blocking should only ever be implemented on the outbound(SMTP) side. They might start banning based on repeat bad login attempts but that'd be temporary. Any chance a machine on your network is continually attempt a login?

Also confirm that you're being blocked and not just missing a route to the address as a VPN could also resolve that.

No other machine logging in.

How would I check that a route to the address is missing?

tracert to webmail.eir.ie should manage to hop all the way (thus ping will too). Checked with a VM connection. If you see failed hops at the VF edge router that could point at them.

telnet webmail.eir.ie:143 will give a bad command message if its reachable. If you were being actively blocked I suspect you'd get a connection refused instead (another poster might confirm there). If theres no route itll just time out connecting.

tracert to webmail.eir.ie should manage to hop all the way (thus ping will too). Checked with a VM connection. If you see failed hops at the VF edge router that could point at them.

telnet webmail.eir.ie:143 will give a bad command message if its reachable. If you were being actively blocked I suspect you'd get a connection refused instead (another poster might confirm there). If theres no route itll just time out connecting.

Here is what I get but I don’t understand it:

Here is what I get but I don’t understand it:

Anyone know if the tracert results in the attached picture are ok?

• Advertisement

You have base level connectivity as far as the server, try telnet to see what the server does with a new connection from you.

You have base level connectivity as far as the server, try telnet to see what the server does with a new connection from you.

Ok I did that telnet webmail.eircom.net:110
    and it said could not open connection to the host, on port 23: connect failed.

I used standard notation there, sorry. In your command the colon is a space instead.

I used standard notation there, sorry. In your command the colon is a space instead.

It takes the command but the screen is blank apart from Telnet webmail.eircom.net at the top. No messages.

Sounds like you are being ignored so as you initially suggested (unless you're behind hardware that is doing filtering, two 10. nets in the trace makes me think this is a commercial setup perhaps?).

webmaster@eircom.ie (webmaster@eir.ie) might have an answer. Maybe.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you are being ignored so as you initially suggested (unless you're behind hardware that is doing filtering, two 10. nets in the trace makes me think this is a commercial setup perhaps?).

webmaster@eircom.ie (webmaster@eir.ie) might have an answer. Maybe.

Well this is strange, I changed the port to 995 and turned SSL on and it worked without the need for a VPN!

Something is playing with your traffic if enabling SSL fixed it.

Something is playing with your traffic if enabling SSL fixed it.

In a good way or a bad way?

Also, just to follow on from your last observation, not a commercial set up. I have bridged my Vodafone 659 to an Orbi and logging in that way and have a fixed IP address with Vodafone.

Advertisement