Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recycling plastic is a waste of time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteMoved from After Hours to here please follow local guidelines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

kneemos wrote: »
    According to an MIT researcher. Better to burn it though than stick it in the ground imo.

https://www.insider.com/mit-research-andrew-mcafee-says-recycling-is-useless-2019-10
    Don't know if the headline is right but I agree with the main point which is about focusing on things that have the highest impact. The straw thing was a bit annoying alright, in that context.

In that regard, I think cheap flights need to be a thing of the past. Air travel is a massive polluter. Bizarre to increase tax fuel for cars, when many of us have no alternatives, but leave cheap flights alone.

I've heard that very little of what we put in our recycling bins is recycled. Black plastic is not recycled because the machines that sort it don't differentiate it from the conveyor belt it is on.

People get up in arms about littering but largely turn a blind eye to backyard burning. The latter is far worse, just less visible. Littering is gross but won't poison the air or contribute greenhouse gases.

The nuclear thing isn't applicable here though, as we don't have the infrastructure for it in place, but do have a lot of renewable options we can harness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

In that regard, I think cheap flights need to be a thing of the past. Air travel is a massive polluter. Bizarre to increase tax fuel for cars, when many of us have no alternatives, but leave cheap flights alone.

Banning cheap flight operators currently isn't an option, as it would probably cause a large and damaging ripple effect in our economies, causing large scale unemployment, and we re not prepared for that. taxing cars makes perfect sense, as it is largely seen in the eyes of certain ideologies, particularly libertarian ones, that the problem is ultimately the individual. Unfortunately this is where I suspect the carbon tax approach could very well fail. It's important to realise also the amount of power and influence major employers have in this game, you can be sure, major airlines will be the last to be affected, this is all political football now unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Banning cheap flight operators currently isn't an option, as it would probably cause a large and damaging ripple effect in our economies, causing large scale unemployment, and we re not prepared for that. taxing cars makes perfect sense, as it is largely seen in the eyes of certain ideologies, particularly libertarian ones, that the problem is ultimately the individual. Unfortunately this is where I suspect the carbon tax approach could very well fail. It's important to realise also the amount of power and influence major employers have in this game, you can be sure, major airlines will be the last to be affected, this is all political football now unfortunately
    Not ban the operators, but put a carbon tax on flights proportionate to emissions. The result would be no more cheap flights. A loss in business might cause some people to lose their jobs, but people lose their jobs for much worse reasons. Cheap flight operators don't offer good jobs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Washiwill

Most recycling is a waste of time and a con. For example glass, it doesn't pollute if buried in the ground and as far as I know there is no shortage of sand in the world to make new glass, so what's the point of recycling it?

Paper - all comes from specially planted forests in northern Europe specifically planted for paper production. Recycling paper uses more toxic chemicals and reduces the number of trees planted. Paper is also non polluting if buried. Recycling paper is the most stupid thing ever invented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Washiwill wrote:
    Most recycling is a waste of time and a con. For example glass, it doesn't pollute if buried in the ground and as far as I know there is no shortage of sand in the world to make new glass, so what's the point of recycling it?

....and where would the majority of energy required to create a functioning glass industry come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....and where would the majority of energy required to create a functioning glass industry come from?

This is the problem with the vague system we have. We don't know how much energy each stage of the chain is consuming
    How much energy is consumed and emissions emitted from making a new one verses transporting the old ones ,crushing them sorting it all and then making another one

Would it be better to crush it locally and use it as aggregate in concrete or wash it and use it as a drainage medium

Advertisement