Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading SSD in Asus Laptop

Options
  • 19-01-2021 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

My first time doing anything like this at all. However, I'm not adverse to opening up things and learning.

I'm seriously in need of upgrading my SSD on my laptop. I'm not sure what to look out for in an SSD exactly. I'm pretty sure my machine is NVME compatible, which I believe is a good thing. I found this SSD.. a Crucial P5 (1TB)..

Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/yyxpfsyu

Is the SSD good?

Are there any restrictions/limit on the capacity/storage of an SSD on a given system or should that be OK? ideally, I'm looking for 1Tb. However, I'll consider a 500gb SSD if there was some distinct advantage.

My machine

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/FX503/specifications/

Also, what's the best tool to cloney current SSD? Anything to look out for? Will my projects and works in progress that I use for music production or video production remain ok? Its a litteral clone of my current setup, right? I wont need to reinstall windows or anything. I'll make sure to back up everything.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 vurstflavor

Adata is better
    Crucial has about 5%
    Failure rate
    Down load windows tools from Microsoft site

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Thanks for your response. I've used Adata HD external hardrives for years.

I'll look up their internal SSDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Reading the spec. for your laptop it says the following:
    #128GB/256GB/512GB SATA 3.0 M.2 SSD

So it looks like an SATA M.2 (two notches) not an NVME M.2 (one notch). Might be worth just confirming that first so you don't get the wrong type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

dazberry wrote: »
    Reading the spec. for your laptop it says the following:

So it looks like an SATA M.2 (two notches) not an NVME M.2 (one notch). Might be worth just confirming that first so you don't get the wrong type.

I too noticed that in the specs, but if you check the manual, it does specify that the laptop can take NVMe SSDs in the m.2 slot (p. 86).

I reckon the specs are possible storage options that the laptop sells with, and not what you can use to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

JoyPad wrote: »
    I too noticed that in the specs, but if you check the manual, it does specify that the laptop can take NVMe SSDs in the m.2 slot (p. 86).

I reckon the specs are possible storage options that the laptop sells with, and not what you can use to upgrade.

Yes, thanks for spotting this. This has caused a lot of confusion on other forums.

I've just purchased the Samsung 970 Evo Plus. Buried in the questions on Amazon someome asked about my model machine and Samsung/seller confirmed its compatible. Well, fingers crossed.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MBQPQ62/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_QAWbGbB5W0AH8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for all your help, lads. Bit nerve-wracking the first time doing this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement