Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OLED TV above stove

Options
  • 03-01-2021 12:53pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We are getting the house rewired and taking the opportunity to put in a stove as well.

The electricians asked did we want to put the tv above the stove. I wasn’t sure about mixing the tv with a stove.

Smoke shouldn’t be an issue but what about heat?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Plan is to take our fire place and put tv above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Considering Panasonic has put a lot of effort into a proprietary heat sink in it's top end models in an effort to combat burn-in, I would be very hesitant about doing that.

Our TV is above the fireplace (which I'm not ordinarily a fan of but needs must) but it has been lit a sum total of once in the last 12 months (xmas eve, for effect apparently :rolleyes: ). If we had a log burner, it would be used a lot more and I just couldn't allow my pride and joy to go up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

godtabh wrote: »
    Plan is to take our fire place and put tv above it.

A stove would be better for heat dispersion, we have one set in our original fire place ( about the size of your entire unit. Even though it is rarely lit, when it is, heat does rise in front. I considered the same idea for mounting a tv but 2 things put me off.
    1 the heat as you are also considering and
    2 the weight on the chimney which is very last century brick.

It also depends on how close to the wall you can mount and also how low. Above the mantle piece is quite high for sustained watching.

Next, which might not be applicable in your case is positioning the center speaker in a surround sound set-up.

I know this is not necessarily helping so apologies.

FWIW, my solution was a projector onto the chimney.

I'll see if I can root out a picture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I’ll be going with a sound bar above the mantel piece. The one shown in the picture is going but not sure what size will be replacing it

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Up there 8 yrs now, stove lit every night from Oct to March/April and no bother on it, mantle piece protects it somewhat I suppose and there's a Sound bar hidden underneath the decorations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I have a floating mantlepiece above my stove so heat isn't going up directly onto tv. It took forever to find one I liked, ended up buying one from uk on eBay but i did see them a few years ago being advertised by an Irish company. or a floating shelf would do the same thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I'd check the manual for the TV - not sure of you've bought it already - I know that LG OLED tvs come with a specific warning about locating near heat sources and mentions stoves. A mantlepiece arrangement might offer some protection as suggested by posters above, but I'd be very dubious about locating a new OLED there. A friend has a stove in a large living room and the amount of heat it puts out is epic, I cant see it being good for a TV that needs cooling and specifically advises against locating near a heat source.

An unwelcome view I'm sure, but there it is.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Don't. At the very least, you will shorten the life of the TV. I have a stove and a thick wooden mantle which extrudes a good 30cm from the chimney breast. On the same wall, I have a large mirror the size of a large flatscreen TV. Were it not for the stove, it's a great spot for the TV. The mirror is mounted to a wooden base which has warped from the heat. The heat need not be direct to have a bad effect on your TV. The electronics will thank you for not having them so close to the heat source.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Up there 8 yrs now, stove lit every night from Oct to March/April and no bother on it, mantle piece protects it somewhat I suppose and there's a Sound bar hidden underneath the decorations

Do you not have a sore neck from looking up at the ceiling to watch telly?

I try to keep my TVs as close to eye level as possible. about 850 - 900mm is the height of the current unit its on and I find thats a bit higher than I'd like (Ikea 2 x 4 box kallax on its side with legs).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Do you not have a sore neck from looking up at the ceiling to watch telly?

I try to keep my TVs as close to eye level as possible. about 850 - 900mm is the height of the current unit its on and I find thats a bit higher than I'd like (Ikea 2 x 4 box kallax on its side with legs).

Very much the concern I had before we were "forced" to move ours but due to the shape of the room I was struggling for alternative options. Mine is a 58" and the bottom of the screen is exactly 125cm from the floor. It looks a lot closer to the mantle than the other posters pic - iirc about 8cm. The TV is on a cantilever bracket and is obviously angled downward slightly. It's quite a big room and current seating has us at bang on 3m from the screen.

It's been there since March and there have been no sore necks. In truth it took no time to get "used" to it. I'd still like it to be a bit lower but the benefit of no longer having a big TV unit in the room completely outweighs my preference for optimum viewing height.

• Advertisement
Advertisement