Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will You Get Your Radio Gear From After Brexit ?

Options
  • 13-12-2020 2:50pm

Obviously ordering from the U.K after the 31st won't be an option any more I'm just wondering where People will get their radio stuff from ?

Either way it's going to be hassle and with longer delivery times.

Same with Amazon U.K, won't be ordering from there any more so will have to use maybe Amazon.de but longer delivery times, still I suppose Amazon U.K delivery times to the Republic even with premium membership could take up to a week longer than delivery to the North which is where Parcel Motel came in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I've bought very little from the UK in the past ,

I've bought from Holland, Germany and other EU countries , bought some kit from germany a couple of weeks back , still awaiting delivery, was 10 days in a uk depot and now showing in ireland,
    it's coming via GLS so don't know what will be the story there after brexit

air freight an option but expensive

orm0nd wrote: »
    I've bought very little from the UK in the past ,

I've bought from Holland, Germany and other EU countries , bought some kit from germany a couple of weeks back , still awaiting delivery, was 10 days in a uk depot and now showing in ireland,
    it's coming via GLS so don't know what will be the story there after brexit

air freight an option but expensive

That's the problem living on a small Island, it's going to take a long time from the Continent.

Unless driving to the North ? I don't know of any Ham Radio shops up there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭orm0nd

That's the problem living on a small Island, it's going to take a long time from the Continent.

bought books on line from easons for xmas pressies about 20th Nov, took 2 and half weeks for delivery , were stuck in an post sorting depot for 2 weeks

couriers and an post etc, are under serious pressure just now but maybe in the new year things will sort out a little,

with the exception of my linear amp that has finally died I don't need any more radio gear (if my present ageing set up stays good ) ,

antennas yes , but they will be home brew from bits and pieces already on hand , or sourced in EU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Here you are

https://www.4ni.co.uk/c/25477/p-d-cb-and-amateur-radio-supplies-coleraine

https://www.4ni.co.uk/c/21055/t-a-electronics-omagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Personally Wimo.de, as I have both an EU and an international account with them, the latter when I was working/living abroad and I could take advantage of the vat-free rates and pay the much lower local vat rate instead.
    At least their prices and service are better than most I've had the pleasure of working with!

Places I'm much less likely to buy from that I had spent some money at would include the likes of MLS, Sotabeams, and a *lot* of secondhand gear from HamRadioDeals and the wonderful fleamarket from Sotabeams.

With the backlog in the package delivery systems around the continent, anyone that is waiting on a package to be delivered from the UK will likely have to pay interesting amounts of customs if the delay crosses into the new year.

Also - note that Parcelmotel have suspended inbound deliveries to the depot in the North for the moment (starting on the 28th no deliveries to be taken) so that makes it a fair bit harder to make things cheaper. Addresspal will continue but expect the flat €10 "handling" fee for every package on top of the delivery charge - that's one bugbear I have with that service.

• Advertisement

Oh if there's no deal and we are subject to Import duties +23% VAT on top there's no way I'm ordering fromt he U.K again which is a shame.

What's a real shame is that there's no proper Ham radio store in the South, I suppose the business isn't there for it but perhaps with Brexit there might be because no one will be ordering from the U.K but I suppose if there were Irish suppliers they would increase prices due to the fact you won't be able to order from the U.K any more.

Just imagine how cheap ham radio stuff would be without the VAT ? I was interested in the Elecraft Kx3 at one stage and then I say how much the VAT adds on to the cost of it. I'd still love one as they are supposed to have a fantastic receiver but I really do love my FT-891, amazing radio with really great audio and noise reduction if you need it and it can run from 5-100 watts and I have great fun with it and the Chameleon MPAS 2.0.

I would also love to try out one of the Chameleon Loops.

The New Yaesu FT-DX10 looks a great radio, expensive but I really like Yaesu radios, I like the 7300 but I was disappointed with the Audio and filters, the 891 performs much better. The FT-DX10 has a monitor out and you can use a mouse. Would have been great if it could decone and send PSK31 I love that mode. Just the other night I was having a QSO on 40m with the 891 and MPAS 2.0 @20 Watts, love it.

Expensive hobby but it's going to get more expensive with shipping from the Continent and it's going to take longer for delivery.

Advertisement