Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JVC Smart tv sideload apk

Options
  • 31-01-2020 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi

My JVC smart tv seems very locked down to side load apps. Has anyone experience of this:

• I dont think its android tv.
    • I dont think option to install apk from "unkown sources" is on any menu option.
    • I cant install apk from browser. doesnt seen to donwload. I can only install apk on the app store on telly (which is not google store).
    • I cant find a app thats like a file browser. So even if i plug in usb drive with apk I cant navigate to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

If it's not android TV sideloading is not possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Only Sony sell Android TVs really but it's best to isolate the source and use a Fire Stick / Nvidia Shield instead for apps as they are far more powerful and intuitive compared to the Smart OS's they put on TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

OK thanks guys. I know for sure now. I was hoping there would be a way around it. Even country settings - Choosing Ireland will just install RTE player but UK will install a few apps half of which work here in Ireland. But I cant install RTE and UK apps together. These smart tvs are not so smart lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 revrickyb

allycavs wrote: »
    Hi

My JVC smart tv seems very locked down to side load apps. Has anyone experience of this:
    • I dont think option to install apk from "unkown sources" is on any menu option.

Sorry I'm a little late with a reply, hope you get this.
    I had the same problem hence why I did a search and came across your post. I found the answer so I came back here and registered just to let you know that it is possible.

Go to Settings and click on Device Preferences...
    Scroll down and click Storage...
    Click Internal Shared Storage...
    Click on Apps...
    Scroll all the way to the bottom and click Security & Restrictions...
    Click on Unknown Sources then "allow" any apps you've downloaded.

I didn't find this online but figured it out myself.
    Anyway, even if you don't see this it might help someone searching the same problem who stumbles over your post like I did.

Pretty nice for an Englishman. ;)

Rick

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

can anyone confirm that this works

• Advertisement
Advertisement