Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thieving taximan

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

pablo128 wrote: »
    Yes I swear. Now where's the 50?

Probably in the garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Get Real

This is ridiculous, really there is nothing they can do?

It's not that ridiculous really

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph19297?locale=en_US

Apple saying themselves its approximate. It also depends on phone masts, wifi quality, and even weather.

Or if you open Google maps on your phone, sometimes it shows me in the house a few doors down, or next door. Or have you ever been on holidays walking somewhere and the dot is not calibrated?

What if the phone shows in a building that contains 50 apartments over 5 floors, which one is a search warrant gotten for? Or a hotel?

Find my phone is part gimmick/ part luck. Might be useful if you're in a public street and you walk to the location and see someone with it. Not so useful if it shows a building with numerous people in it/apartment with many different floors and residences/ house beside the actual house it's in.

Also not useful if it's been turned off, and is only showing the last (approximate) location, when in fact it's now in a CEX shop/sold to a randomer and has a new sim and has been wiped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

If he's not a thief, where's the 50 euro gone?

Just because it's gone does not automatically make the taximan a thief :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PatsyJ

db wrote: »
    If he kept it and didn't return it, that's theft.

Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PatsyJ

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Can't you turn on the phone from the find my phone app?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

i think we should find the taxi driver stone him and then lynch him then burn out his taxi kill every generation of his family and dance on their graves.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

bladespin wrote: »
    Just because it's gone does not automatically make the taximan a thief :rolleyes:

was there even 50 in the first place.
    we've only got the slightly merry word of Ditzy McPhonedropper to go on.

hic!!

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I'm a taxi driver and I always give stuff back.

When I was getting a new van a few years ago I was cleaning out the old van and I found an iPhone 6 which was the newest at the time and it had a Verizon SIM card so it was someone from the US. I charged it up and the sim was deactivated and no message to say call this number or anything. Then a message popped up and said phone hasn't been backed up in 28 weeks or something like that. Oops!
    I tried to give it back even still but couldnt. Apple website just said contact your local police station.
    Anyway the reason I posted this is to show how easy these things can happen and nearly all drivers will try to get stuff back to the owners so don't judge till you know the story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

iamtony wrote: »
    I'm a taxi driver and I always give stuff back.

When I was getting a new van a few years ago I was cleaning out the old van and I found an iPhone 6 which was the newest at the time and it had a Verizon SIM card so it was someone from the US. I charged it up and the sim was deactivated and no message to say call this number or anything. Then a message popped up and said phone hasn't been backed up in 28 weeks or something like that. Oops!
    I tried to give it back even still but couldnt. Apple website just said contact your local police station.
    Anyway the reason I posted this is to show how easy these things can happen and nearly all drivers will try to get stuff back to the owners so don't judge till you know the story!

That's good to hear, and I'd like to believe most people would be the same.

As usual it's the actions of a few that give the rest a bad name. In the OPs case, I think he got a bad one. Having known many taxi drivers from my days as a mechanic, I know only too well there are some dodgy ones around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

That's good to hear, and I'd like to believe most people would be the same.

As usual it's the actions of a few that give the rest a bad name. In the OPs case, I think he got a bad one. Having known many taxi drivers from my days as a mechanic, I know only too well there are some dodgy ones around.

Really I have had 1 bad experience with a taxi driver not to do with a theft but did not believe all taxi's were the same. Are you sure its just not 1 person giving a sweeping generalization

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Having known many taxi drivers from my days as a mechanic, I know only too well there are some dodgy ones around.

Pot , kettle, Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

PatsyJ wrote:
    No.

But it can still be traced while turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    But it can still be traced while turned off

Not with any software that the public has access to.

Advertisement