Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage on maternity leave

Options
  • 01-03-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

My wife and I are approved for mortgage in principal and we hope to have our planning approved in the next week or so. She is going on unpaid maternity leave at the end of March, but we have separate savings to cover her. Will this affect our draw down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We drew down our mortgage while I was on unpaid I think. It’s a few years ago now, but I don’t remember it being an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The fact that you are having a baby will effect the banks criteria for lending to you in the first place, just bear that in mind. Babies are expensive.

The fact that you are having a baby will effect the banks criteria for lending to you in the first place, just bear that in mind. Babies are expensive.

Presumably they already have the baby if her unpaid leave is starting soon

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The bank will probably ask for a document from her employer with her return to work date etc on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jlm29 wrote: »
    Presumably they already have the baby if her unpaid leave is starting soon

Nope: outside the public sector, most companies don't offer paid maternity leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Nope: outside the public sector, most companies don't offer paid maternity leave.

The statutory 6 months maternity leave is usually referred to as paid and the 4 months after is usually referred to as unpaid.

Any company I’ve worked for has also offered topped up maternity pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have you got all your documents like salary certs etc into the bank already? If so... just say nothing imo. We drew down while my wife was pregnant. She had some paid mat leave but also took 5 months unpaid leave. The bank never asked us if we were expecting, they asked us if we had any children.

the first 26 weeks of maternity leave is paid maternity leave. I’m aware it’s often not topped up for a lot of non- public sector employees, but It’s not unpaid leave. The OP specifically mentioned unpaid mat leave, so I think it’s safe to assume he’s referring to the 16 weeks of unpaid leave that follows the 26 paid weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 NashD

I had to return to work to draw down our mortgage. The bank required a current month payslip or wouldn't allow us to draw down the mortgage. Find out what paperwork is required for the actual drawdown.

Edited to add, I was on unpaid leave at the time of drawdown and they wouldn't allow us to drawdown unless we could prove our salaries at the time of drawdown.
    We had provided all the relevant paperwork during the application process.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

NashD wrote: »
    I had to return to work to draw down our mortgage. The bank required a current month payslip or wouldn't allow us to draw down the mortgage. Find out what paperwork is required for the actual drawdown.

Edited to add, I was on unpaid leave at the time of drawdown and they wouldn't allow us to drawdown unless we could prove our salaries at the time of drawdown.
    We had provided all the relevant paperwork during the application process.

Did you have to reapply for your mortgage again and go through approval again?

• Advertisement

No. We were mortgage approved in August and had put down the deposit. The house didn't close until November due to delays on the sellers side.
    We just had to submit current month payslips to draw down the actual mortgage in November.
    Maybe it's due to the delay in our drawdown but our broker had warned us we would need payslips to draw down so I had time to rejig my leave (I had planned to take all the unpaid leave but ended up taking the October as annual leave to allow me to be paid and to have a payslip for drawdown).

I note you talk about planning - I do believe build yourself mortgages work slightly differently? I think you incur costs upfront and then drawdown the mortgage to offset costs incurred? So might work differently for you?

Advertisement