Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need an engineer

Options
  • 28-02-2021 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭

Hi, currently going through a little extension (attic conversion and single storey extension). We had the plans drawn up by an Architectural Designer and went through full planning. Planning on getting a builder in to do the work, my question is what I need an engineer to do?

1. BOI have a form for the mortgage that reads like it needs to be completed by an engineer pre build. Is that right? Should I be engaging with an engineer pre build?
    2. What type of engineer do I need
    3. What am I asking them to do.
    4. Anyone with recent experience of costs for similar (Dublin area) a PM would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1. Yes, if designer isn’t doing it
    2 structural,
    3. just get him to spec the structural elements, and review designers other elements
    4. Couple a grand

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Hi, currently going through a little extension (attic conversion and single storey extension). We had the plans drawn up by an Architectural Designer and went through full planning. Planning on getting a builder in to do the work, my question is what I need an engineer to do?

1. BOI have a form for the mortgage that reads like it needs to be completed by an engineer pre build. Is that right? Should I be engaging with an engineer pre build?
    2. What type of engineer do I need
    3. What am I asking them to do.
    4. Anyone with recent experience of costs for similar (Dublin area) a PM would be great.

Thanks

1. Talk to your designer. He thus are only for planning stage they may recommend someone. Engineer, architect or surveyor can carry out the role. Yes you should have them engaged pre-build as they need to fill in the BOI forms and attached their PI details.

2. Structural engineer with experience in domestic extensions.

3. Construction drawings, construction design, PSCS, structural design, inspections of all elements and certification of the build in compliance with planning and building regulations. Some of this could depend on if the planning agent is involved in the construction stage so this needs to be clarified as it alters the requirements.

4. About €5k all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Gumbo wrote: »
    1. Talk to your designer. He thus are only for planning stage they may recommend someone. Engineer, architect or surveyor can carry out the role. Yes you should have them engaged pre-build as they need to fill in the BOI forms and attached their PI details.

2. Structural engineer with experience in domestic extensions.

3. Construction drawings, construction design, PSCS, structural design, inspections of all elements and certification of the build in compliance with planning and building regulations. Some of this could depend on if the planning agent is involved in the construction stage so this needs to be clarified as it alters the requirements.

4. About €5k all in.

PSDP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PSDP.

That’s why I asked if the designer has any construction involvement. If the engineer is only for the construction, the designer may have the PSDS side of things but you are correct in that it needs to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Thanks folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement