Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Vetting-Soft Information

Options
  • 26-02-2021 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I have a question regarding soft information with Garda vetting. I am considering a career in the aviation industry (pilot). I have no convictions but there was an allegation of assault made against me a number of years ago. Nothing ever came of it but would this information be automatically be supplied to prospective airlines or would they have to specifically ask for it?

I'm just lost with the whole soft information thing and the main thing I want to know is will this allegation of assault prevent me from getting garda vetted and in turn getting a job as a pilot?

It's a lot of money to spend on training if I can't even get vetted for the job.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I doubt something like this would be disclosed. If you're down as a suspected offender on PULSE it might delay things while the vetting bureau write to the Guard who will inevitably have been transferred so it'll get sent to roughly where they think he is now and he'll of course reply in the 14 day time frame... :rolleyes:

Soft information is more to do with people looking to take a job with access to children, who probably shouldn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Hopefully any serious information like that is kept it is a background check isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Hopefully any serious information like that is kept it is a background check isn't it?

If the OP has never been convicted, or a proceedings outstanding the guards have no business (outside of very limited circumstances) disclosing, potentially, unfounded allegations.

Forgot to mention above that anything they're going to disclose will be run by you first OP and you will have an opportunity to appeal it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Suggest you leave off on commenting like this in the future.

It's Garda vetting, it has a specific legislative basis and transparent and well-publicised objective - prevention of harm to children and vulnerable people.

This is not a crackpot jurisdiction where people are punished by the State without proof of wrongdoing as a matter of course. It happens but it's not supposed to.

Anyway the information is "kept". It's just not revealed to the world at large by way of a background check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Are pilots actually garda vetted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Red Hare wrote: »
    Are pilots actually garda vetted?

Yes they are, as they receive "airport access permits" all Irish based pilots (or indeed all staff working in an airport or for an airline) must be vetted by the Gardaí, same applies to all European countries, it is a legal requirement under EU Regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gatesaab

If the OP has never been convicted, or a proceedings outstanding the guards have no business (outside of very limited circumstances) disclosing, potentially, unfounded allegations.

Forgot to mention above that anything they're going to disclose will be run by you first OP and you will have an opportunity to appeal it.

Really appreciate the advice on this. I've been worrying about this for months now.

Thank you.

Advertisement