Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Thread 20/02 (Kelly v Avanesyan, Valdez v Berchelt, Wallin v Breazeale etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Brilliant performance from Avenesyan.

Brilliant tactics. Made Kelly fight at a pace he wasn't used to and just wore him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Fantastic from Ava. Brilliant victory. Kelly capitulated in that round. At 26 European level shouldn’t be too soon. 6th round isn’t later on in the fight either, he should have had the tank for more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Both lads clearly a level below world class...

Kelly just had nothing to really hurt with.

Again, power to really hurt Ave wasn’t there..

And not the engine/durability to survive..

Tiredness as much as anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wonder will he blame the blood loss.

Really good night of boxing. Delighted Ava won, can't stand Kelly or Booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Great fight. Who was he shouting to at the end?

• Advertisement

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Great fight. Who was he shouting to at the end?

Conor Benn I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

That was a terrific night's boxing.

Great action all night long.

I'm not staying up to see Berchelt / Valdez, but I can't see that being anything other than action-packed also.

Simple stuff:

If you are not able to hurt your foe, you better make sure your stamina is grade A. Failing that, your D is grade A...Kelly failed all three..

Missed Marku...

Watching now..what round it finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Thought Booth's tactics were bizarre there to be honest. Can't believe he had Kelly trading and loading up from the bell. Zero management of his gas tank. Fight was only going one way once Kelly started to tire by the 4th. Should've come into the fight light instead he bulked up massively and was never going to be able to go the rounds.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Missed Marku...

Watching now..what round it finish?

8th round, very good fight too. Charlton very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Could see Kelly unraveling towards the end, looked a kid who wanted out so good work from booth.

Not sure where Kelly goes from here-back to British level certainly but not sure how he does against like of kongo and Benn even.

Fairly sure Kelly moves up in weight (though did think he looked great on the scales this time)

Johnny’s drunk.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Johnny’s drunk.

Tell me, what he saying?!

Going on and on about head and heart. Reckons Kelly wasn’t hurt he touched down to get a break from the pressure. Not so much what he’s saying it’s the thousandth time to repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I think Kelly's style is flawed due to a lack of power. The Adam Booth style of fighter needs to have serious pop as they work in short bursts, plenty of feints and movement etc.

I could see Mick Conlan suffering for the same reasons as Kelly.

Going on and on about head and heart. Reckons Kelly wasn’t hurt he touched down to get a break from the pressure. Not so much what he’s saying it’s the thousandth time to repeat it.

He's not far wrong tho. Ava broke Kelly heart tonight

He was able to impose his game plan and dictate the fight. Kelly buzzed him in round 2 and thought the work was done. He resorted to trading and what the hell was the posturing about? At 26 I think he’s found his level too he wont have a world strap.

Is it just me, or did Kelly seem to waste a lot of energy needlessly moving and ducking and diving..?

He should have been able to hold his ground more, shoot more from stationary positions, and try use little more physicality..

He was able to impose his game plan and dictate the fight. Kelly buzzed him in round 2 and thought the work was done. He resorted to trading and what the hell was the posturing about? At 26 I think he’s found his level too he wont have a world strap.

I think like Conlan he may pick up a soft world title, but I just don't see it at world level for him (or mick for that matter)

• Advertisement

Larsso30 wrote: »
    I think like Conlan he may pick up a soft world title, but I just don't see it at world level for him (or mick for that matter)

Conlan’s biggest battle may be trying to boil down to 122 lbs..

Conlan’s biggest battle may be trying to boil down to 122 lbs..

He's gonna have to, he aint picking up a strap at feather imo.

He's gonna have to, he aint picking up a strap at feather imo.

Not a chance..

Is it just me, or did Kelly seem to waste a lot of energy needlessly moving and ducking and diving..?

He should have been able to hold his ground more, shoot more from stationary positions, and try use little more physicality..

I couldn’t believe he couldn’t use his significant size and reach advantages. First two rounds he looked ok then just went to pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

It's a booth gym thing though isn't it, all that fluting about and trying to score with that one prefect punch or flashy flurry.

I listened to a Groves interview not too long ago and something he said about sparring while working with Booth made real sense tonight.

Groves said when he worked with booth, they'd work certain moves, be it slips, feints or combos, and during the spar the objective was to incorporate these new "moves" into the rounds, so even if you got your arse handed to you in the spar, if you pulled off the move, then in booths eyes that was a job well done. It was only when Groves went to Shane mcguigan where the stopped, Shane used to try and get Groves to win every round of sparring.

When you look at the booth fighters, it makes you wonder do they over work technique, are they all style without substance, yeah they move well, yeah they tend to have flashy combos, but everything is in bursts, even when booths fighters win a round, they've ran for the best part of it, and in some opinions they could easily be losing the fight.

I don't like to gloat in someone's loss or misfortune, but I've never warned to Kelly, too arrogant for my liking. Ok, Nas back in the day was an arrogant get, but her backed it up. If you're going to go on like Kelly does, you'd better be one hard motherfcker, otherwise you're gonna end up with egg on your face.

Not a chance..

Like kelly, his lack of power will always be an issue against certain level fighters

It's a booth gym thing though isn't it, all that fluting about and trying to score with that one prefect punch or flashy flurry.

I listened to a Groves interview not too long ago and something he said about sparring while working with Booth made real sense tonight.

Groves said when he worked with booth, they'd work certain moves, be it slips, feints or combos, and during the spar the objective was to incorporate these new "moves" into the rounds, so even if you got your arse handed to you in the spar, if you pulled off the move, then in booths eyes that was a job well done. It was only when Groves went to Shane mcguigan where the stopped, Shane used to try and get Groves to win every round of sparring.

When you look at the booth fighters, it makes you wonder do they over work technique, are they all style without substance, yeah they move well, yeah they tend to have flashy combos, but everything is in bursts, even when booths fighters win a round, they've ran for the best part of it, and in some opinions they could easily be losing the fight.

I don't like to gloat in someone's loss or misfortune, but I've never warned to Kelly, too arrogant for my liking. Ok, Nas back in the day was an arrogant get, but her backed it up. If you're going to go on like Kelly does, you'd better be one hard motherfcker, otherwise you're gonna end up with egg on your face.

Great Post, as great as booth is i am always left thinking his fighters have more style over substance.

That’s a brilliant post!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Great Post, as great as booth is i am always left thinking his fighters have more style over substance.

The style is effective for certain fighters. Haye and Groves had success as they had serious power and that was a deterrent for their opponents and bought them space to work in.

Andy Lee couldn't fully implement that style obviously but again had huge power so had his opponent's respect.

Conlan and Kelly do not have anywhere near that level of power and will struggle imo. They will be walked down like we saw tonight at a certain level. They will use up huge energy feinting and moving but won't put any real dent in a top level guy to compensate for their exertions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

rebelomar wrote: »
    The style is effective for certain fighters. Haye and Groves had success as they had serious power and that was a deterrent for their opponents and bought them space to work in.

Andy Lee couldn't fully implement that style obviously but again had huge power so had his opponent's respect.

Conlan and Kelly do not have anywhere near that level of power and will struggle imo. They will be walked down like we saw tonight at a certain level. They will use up huge energy feinting and moving but won't put any real dent in a top level guy to compensate for their exertions.

totally agree,

I even think Ryan Burnett was a victim of this to be honest, even though, ultimately his loss and early retirement where for a relatively unrelated issue, his style was proper eye aids to watch.

Advertisement