Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supposed 'one hit wonders' who actually have a catalog of decent music.

• 04-02-2021 11:02pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There is a good few artists or bands who have had one massive hit that outshines all of their other material in sales and radio play etc by a mile but that still have a very decent and listenable catalog of music.

For this thread please post the 'hit' first and at least one other song of theirs that would be classed as forgotten or slept on or underrated.

I'll start with Wild Cherry. Most people who know their massive hit don't even know the name of the band.

Play That Funky Music still gets lots of play at weddings, bars, in funk/disco sets and more. They actually have 4 studio albums to their name and got some other pretty groovy tunes within.

One of my faves is this one:

It's actually the B-side of the 45 I have so it's handy to have both tracks and play whichever depending on the mood/room.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

She also had a medium sized hit with Circle in the Sand. Does she really fit into this category then?

Are we talking about where somebody has only one major hit and some smaller ones, OR where they are particularly associated with one hit but might have had other hits as well?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

She also had a medium sized hit with Circle in the Sand. Does she really fit into this category then?

Are we talking about where somebody has only one major hit and some smaller ones, OR where they are particularly associated with one hit but might have had other hits as well?

Good point. I'm not gonna be too strict on it. Main purpose of thread is to shine some light of good music that has been overshadowed by 1 major hit.

My second entry would be Deee-lite. Everyone knows their massive hit 'Groove is in the Heart' but they actually had 3 studio albums. Wiki shows me they actually did have other success in the US but not much elsewhere.

This is only a short track but it features my favourite drum break.

Decent

• Registered Users Posts: 12 teabag1993

The La's, not sure how much they count for this but had a huge hit back in 1990 with a song called There she goes

They only released one album but every song on that album is proper amazing
    The whole album is more than worth a listen (timeless melody, feelin, iou, i cant sleep and so on)

The singer and guitarist in the band was a perfectionist and it ended up breaking up the band because he wasn't happy with the sound of anything theyd released

Apparently he's almost finished recording the second album by himself but it's more than likely we'll never get to hear it

• Advertisement

Los Lobos - primarily known for La Bamba but have a savage back catalogue - best explored on this set

The hit

Underrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭BOSTIK

I love “Summer Rain”, it’s easily my favorite of Belinda’s singles.

Aztec Camera had a monster smash with “Somewhere in My Heart” which is by far their biggest hit.

But there’s more in the catalogue. “All I need is Everything” scraped in the Top 40 in 1984, sporting a unusual cover of Van Halen’s “Jump” on the B side.

I think Coolio gets a bad rap. Pun intended.

He had the massive hit with Gangsta's Paradise. It was in the movie Dangerous Minds that was also a big movie for the time. He deffo went on to cheesy heights with CK ads, reality TV shows and even his own 'Cooking With Coolio' series on YouTube but his first album is still seen by Hip Hop heads as an underground classic.

The Hit:

The gem:

I dunno, maybe you can't really call him a one hit wonder. He had a few other charting tracks back in the day too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Coolio is a bit tenuous alright but I get what you're saying iamstop - Gangstas Paradise sort of overshadows his other stuff.

Like 'C U When U Get There' as an eg

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Gotye had that song Somebody I Used to Know that was overplayed to fahk on the radio at the time.

This one is savage.

As is this.

I think anyone can empathise with the sentiments in that.

And that's just class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Good idea for a thread.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with South African band Clout. They had a huge hit with Substitute, which is still played today.

I can remember Save Me being played back then, but you'd never hear it any more.
    Likewise, You've Got All Of Me, is a catchy wee number but they'd definitely fall into the OHW category.

teabag1993 wrote: »
    The La's, not sure how much they count for this but had a huge hit back in 1990 with a song called There she goes

They only released one album but every song on that album is proper amazing
    The whole album is more than worth a listen (timeless melody, feelin, iou, i cant sleep and so on)

The singer and guitarist in the band was a perfectionist and it ended up breaking up the band because he wasn't happy with the sound of anything theyd released

Apparently he's almost finished recording the second album by himself but it's more than likely we'll never get to hear it

I heard the Orange amps they used in the studio had the wrong era's dust on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gabria

Sit down by James.

Have their greatest hits. All pretty good. And mostly about getting some

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Pretty useless post but apparently Cornershop ('Brimful of Asha') have a decent discograpy that I've yet to check out properly myself!

O'Neill wrote: »
    Pretty useless post but apparently Cornershop ('Brimful of Asha') have a decent discograpy that I've yet to check out properly myself!

They played here in February 1993, Fibber Magees. Noisy. First album isn't wonderful but the second Woman's Gotta Have It is much better.
    There's a CD Elvis Sex Change which compiles their first two singles - lead track from the second one England's Dreaming is brilliant

Brimful Of Asha was massive; the album it comes from When I Was Born For The Seventh Time is deadly low-fi funky stuff. Follow up Handcream For A Generation very enjoyable too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Janis Ian, known mostly here for 'At Seventeen'.
    She actually has a huge catalogue of (much better) work, spanning seven decades now. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭VanHalen

The number of people who haven’t heard of the group Toto is amazing. Then if you mention “Africa” they say oh yeah but they can’t name any other of their singles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 neutral bystander

VanHalen wrote: »
    The number of people who haven’t heard of the group Toto is amazing. Then if you mention “Africa” they say oh yeah but they can’t name any other of their singles.

Someone I know a very long time told me a few months ago in conversation that they didn't like Toto's Africa.

I couldn't hide how shocked I was. How could I think I know them all this time and not know that?? They sort of tried to take it back then but the damage was already done :D I'm sort of joking and being genuine here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

VanHalen wrote: »

Some of their other songs do get a bit of airplay on radio, certainly the stations playing music for the over 40s! There's Rosanna and Hold The Line for starters.

Advertisement