Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Godzilla vs. Kong [2021]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dunno what they were talking about in that trailer. What happened all the others from King of the Monsters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Dunno what they were talking about in that trailer. What happened all the others from King of the Monsters?

CoVid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

CastorTroy wrote: »

Probably gone back into hibernation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This looks absolutely horrendous, but if it keeps teenage boys in China happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

This looks absolutely horrendous, but if it keeps teenage boys in China happy...
    It's a giant radioactive iguana vs a giant gorilla, it's not gonna be Schindlers list.
    I'd be quite happy to have no/minimal humans and just some Kaijumania for 2 hours.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I'd be quite happy to have no/minimal humans and just some Kaijumania for 2 hours.

Unfortunately it looks like there are going to be lots of pesky human characters and even worse a good few will be kids.

Let them fight is all I want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Now now, don't be That Guy. There's nothing wrong with wanting to watch a Creature Feature, it's a primal joy. Now, unless you mean by the metrics of that genre it doesn't look good, then sure I'm not exactly hyped myself :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

looks bloody amazing!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Now now, don't be That Guy. There's nothing wrong with wanting to watch a Creature Feature, it's a primal joy. Now, unless you mean by the metrics of that genre it doesn't look good, then sure I'm not exactly hyped myself :)

Even WB don't seem too excited, having tried to sell this to Netflix. I've nothing against this type of movie, but at least Gareth Edwards and Roland Emmerich earned their right to direct one. This has the director of the Death Note remake and smacks of Alien v Predator nonsense - something that ruins two franchises for about a decade in one fell swoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

In one big-up to the universe creators I'm finding it difficult to root for either side in this fight. I'd guess a team up to fight some as-yet unknown baddie would be the way to sort this out in the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Even WB don't seem too excited, having tried to sell this to Netflix. I've nothing against this type of movie, but at least Gareth Edwards and Roland Emmerich earned their right to direct one. This has the director of the Death Note remake and smacks of Alien v Predator nonsense - something that ruins two franchises for about a decade in one fell swoop.

Isn't Emmerich's godzilla a very hated upon film, especially with fans? Edward's godzilla focused more on human characters than godzilla himself.. At least this film seems to have godzilla and Kong front and center..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Slydice wrote: »
    In one big-up to the universe creators I'm finding it difficult to root for either side in this fight. I'd guess a team up to fight some as-yet unknown baddie would be the way to sort this out in the film.

Yeah that seems to be the general consensus. If you look at the trailer 3 seconds in, when the lads are running into the subway, you can see what looks like a big giant robot which is rumoured to be cyborg-zilla. Unknown if sent from the future or not.

smurf492 wrote: »
    Isn't Emmerich's godzilla a very hated upon film, especially with fans? Edward's godzilla focused more on human characters than godzilla himself.. At least this film seems to have godzilla and Kong front and center..

Yes, but I mean that he made Stargate and Independence Day before Godzilla. Gareth Edwards was a critical darling after Monsters. Jordon Vogt-Roberts too after The Kings of Summer before Kong: Skull Island - and he's clearly still a big deal if he's making Metal Gear Solid. And of course, Peter Jackon followed up all those LOTR Oscars with King Kong

The idea that a Hollywood Godzilla or King Kong movie should be a guilty pleasure bantfest isn't a foregone conclusion but for some reason WB decided on two nobodies from horror films to direct Godzilla King of the Monsters and this. It's the exact same playbook as Alien v Predator, two series that also had amazing directors in the past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The issue of young, up-and-coming directors being thrust right into a big blockbuster is alas something of a Hollywood trend these days. I would argue that Wingard has had a slightly neater curve of bigger projects than others, but there’s a problem where there’s not really the mid-tier of modestly expensive films with more creative freedom anymore.

On the subject of ‘just let the monsters beat the **** out of each other’... I’m a bit of a Shin Godzilla evangelical, because to me it’s basically the perfect modern Godzilla movie. And yet 75% of the film is characters figuring out their way through Japanese state bureaucracy to get things done :pac: Thankfully it’s a very funny political satire that is deeply rooted in the modern concerns and recent traumas facing Japan - true to the spirit of Honda’s film. It doesn’t hurt that its Godzilla action is absolutely incredible when it does arrive, but really it’s a very grounded, even mundane disaster movie at its core. The difference between it and the American ones is that the Hollywood version is too weighed down by bland, cookie-cutter characters, whereas Shin has bigger and more interesting thematic concerns it wants to tackle.

The problem, basically, isn’t that these films spend too much time with the humans - it’s that the human stories aren’t interesting enough to justify it. Two CG monsters fighting each other for 120 mins is a shortcut to dull-as-all-hell filmmaking too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So it looks like Godzilla has turned bad for some reason
    This isn't his first rodeo you know ;)

Are you aware of the Godzilla Threshold ?
    But every so often, the time comes when the threat is so great, the situation has gone so horribly wrong, that there is no proportionate response. When circumstances are so dire as to justify the use of any and every thing that might solve it, no matter how reckless, nonsensical, or horrific, regardless of cost. When even the summoning of Godzilla, king of the monsters and patron saint of collateral damage, could not possibly make the crisis any worse.

p to the e wrote: »
    Yeah that seems to be the general consensus. If you look at the trailer 3 seconds in, when the lads are running into the subway, you can see what looks like a big giant robot which is rumoured to be cyborg-zilla. Unknown if sent from the future or not.

Oooh, that's kinda cool!

I'm in! Was probably in for the fights alone anyway. I wonder if they'll try do some story in this one. Maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Love the idea but seen the trailer and it just hurt my eyes

New trailer , Godzilla slaps back !

That does kinda look like a
    non-Kong non-Godzilla tail in one scene there that Godzilla is staring at and I think Godzilla is standing over..

Also the music/soundboard at the start sounds a bit more like the pulled Comic Con trailer from the first film.. so I might as well re-watch that https://vimeo.com/146985673

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

New trailer , Godzilla slaps back !

i dont understand , is KK now 500 feet tall ?

he looks as big as GZ ?

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    That does kinda look like a
    non-Kong non-Godzilla tail in one scene there that Godzilla is staring at and I think Godzilla is standing over..
    I think thats Kongs Axe which is made from one of Godzillas fins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

Am i the only one who liked Edwards version of Godzilla? I loved that he keep Godzilla to the background for most of the movie as some said earlier having CGI monsters punching each other for 2 hours does not make good entertainment. Thought Godzilla 2014 was brilliant apart from the lead character who was so wooden but it didn't really matter no one was there to see him.

Not really a spoiler but just incase
    I remember the scene in the airport in the cinema when Godzilla's foot drops filling the whole screen the audience actually gasped (i don't think i've witnessed that before ha)

New trailer for this which gives away a bit too much at the end, big spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

New trailer for this which gives away a bit too much at the end, big spoiler.

Thanks for the warning. I noticed a hell of a lot more mini-trailers on YouTube the past few days, so I think I'll bow out now from watching any more until I see it.

I think I will avoid future trailers and tv spots too,my appetite is whet.
    The running time is said to be 113 minutes and the aircraft carrier battle scene, is said to be 18 minutes long.

ok, will avoid HT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Where would i be able to watch this (legally of course) when it comes out? Cinema's closed and from what i can see its streaming from hbo in US only

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's not getting a cinema release and going straight to Sky Cinema & NowTV available from April 1st.

I'd expect all HBO Max films to follow suit now till the cinema's are fully opened again since The Justice League is going the same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's not getting a cinema release and going straight to Sky Cinema & NowTV available from April 1st.

I'd expect all HBO Max films to follow suit now till the cinema's are fully opened again since The Justice League is going the same route.

That's a shame. I mean, I don't want cinemas to open prematurely. But seeing GvK on the small screen seems wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

It's a pay release via sky store, Google etc. Price of rental around 17 euro.

Advertisement