Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla vs. Kong [2021]

Options
  • 18-01-2021 9:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Finally a first look for a film I believe is coming out March(?). Of course it's in the shape of a teaser so presumably a full trailer ain't far away.

A weird duo of films so far: the first Godzilla could have been great had it stuck with Bryan Cranston as it's lead; the sequel then did a hard turn from the grounded "realism" of the first, into something incoherently stupid (but not fun either).

And Kong: Skull Island was a guilty pleasure with some genuinely great "creature feature" feels to it. Also stupid, but in all the right places too.

https://twitter.com/GodziIIaVSKong/status/1351220542825758726

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But why are they fighting? Would Kong not now down? Are their mothers called Martha?
    Will they take the Skull Island approach of actually showing the monsters or the Godzilla approach of clouds?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

It's a fan made production not official.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, Adam Wingard (of You're Next and The Guest) is directing this, so no newbie mug anyway and I've liked his work. Hopefully, he can handle a production of this literal and figurative scale. Gareth Edwards captured the size and weight of Godzilla really well in that 2014 film...
    somuj wrote: »
    It's a fan made production not official.

According to? The Twitter account looked legit when I checked, seemed to be reported by a couple of outlets I'd ordinarily trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not a fan production anyway, considering the cast and being released in cinemas and on HBO Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

How in Gods name did Kong become the same size as Godzilla 393 ft tall.
    He was 104 ft high in Skull Island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,824 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmm, Adam Wingard (of You're Next and The Guest) is directing this, so no newbie mug anyway and I've liked his work. Hopefully, he can handle a production of this literal and figurative scale. Gareth Edwards captured the size and weight of Godzilla really well in that 2014 film...

According to? The Twitter account looked legit when I checked, seemed to be reported by a couple of outlets I'd ordinarily trust.

Already suspended account, so something dodgy there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Who got them to stay still enough for such accurate measurements?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Godzilla could have shrunk. Radiation and what not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

John C. Reilly states that Kong is still growing and that he's quite young. I think this is some kind of MCU-thing for monsters they're going for here for some reason.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 36 the sword

They probably recast him. Hollywood is always at that carry on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Wasn't Skull Island set back in the 70's? Plenty of time for him to grow if he was still a youngster like has been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 zoeyalex87

I want Godzilla to win no titan can beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

zoeyalex87 wrote: »
    I want Godzilla to win no titan can beat him.

Only Ferris Buelller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently am actual trailer is due Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So not a remake of https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056142/
    In the fight scene, when King Kong throws Godzilla over his shoulder, suit actor Shoichi Hirose didn't throw an empty suit, but actually threw it with Haruo Nakajima still inside. The total weight of Nakajima and the Godzilla suit were around 300 lbs, and this was Hirose's way of proving he was the stronger of the two. This move was one of the many martial arts influences in the fight choreography since Godzilla suit actor Nakajima was a black belt in Judo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

King of the Monsters was trash, and not in a good way but ...

Look.

I'm a simple man at heart. I like to think I have a broad, open taste in film ... But sometimes I just want to see big monsters smack the crap outta each other.

I just hope that unlike Pacific Rim 2 they remember these beasts are meant to be giant and slow, not big rubbery CGI dancers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

pixelburp wrote: »
    King of the Monsters was trash, and not in a good way but ...

Look.

I'm a simple man at heart. I like to think I have a broad, open taste in film ... But sometimes I just want to see big monsters smack the crap outta each other.

I just hope that unlike Pacific Rim 2 they remember these beasts are meant to be giant and slow, not big rubbery CGI dancers.

I'd be cut from a similar cloth but even something this basic seems to elude the creators of today's blockbusters.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Crazy to think these types of movies are big blockbusters now and not some animated film sold on dvd like years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Is that
    Mechagodzilla
    at the very start of the trailer?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Have to say I'm the rare type that loved King of the Monsters and had a big smile on my face watched Ghidorah and Godzilla square off.

Hopefully they keep it simple again.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

Bacon and cabbage

So it looks like Godzilla has turned bad for some reason and Kong must stop him.
    He has his work cut out.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Is that
    Mechagodzilla
    at the very start of the trailer?? :confused:

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

My prediction is that they initially fight but then have to work together to take on a bigger foe. The spread of anti Chinese sentiment throughout the world

Yes
    I'm thinking that
    Mecha Godzilla is the one causing the grief attacking everything while looking like Godzilla.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I get that all the words coming out of the human's mouths are to explain why how a huge ape ends up fighting a huge dinosaur, but my suspension of disbelief is really being tested here.

I will be awaiting this, however. :)

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I'm thinking that
    Mecha Godzilla is the one causing the grief attacking everything while looking like Godzilla.

Yes thats quite possible.
    Although MechaGodzilla wouldnt look exactly like the real Godzilla.
    Maybe he has real skin like a Terminator or something like that .

• Advertisement

Yes thats quite possible.
    Although MechaGodzilla wouldnt look exactly like the real Godzilla.
    Maybe he has real skin like a Terminator or something like that .
    That would be my guess. Godzilla turns up at some stage, whacks him with the Atomic Breath and burns the skin off to reveal robozilla

Advertisement