Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakeside Hotel, Killaloe, Clare

Options
  • 04-01-2021 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi all

We are looking at holding our reception @ Lakeside Hotel, Killaloe, Clare in 2022

Can anyone offer any feedback on there experiences with this hotel.

Food, reception room, rooms etc

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Bellejelles

A lot of hotels will be bankrupt by then
    So how much is deposit you need to protect your money

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Bellejelles... your just so positive and helpful

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

And that's why most couples get wedding insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Hi all

We are looking at holding our reception @ Lakeside Hotel, Killaloe, Clare in 2022

Can anyone offer any feedback on there experiences with this hotel.

Food, reception room, rooms etc

Thanks in advance :)

I would say it depends on your budget / what it is you value most from a venue.

Rooms - can't offer anything on that front.

Been in the bar and restaurant several times though. The front bar is ok, if the weather is nice there is plenty of space for people to amble about in and out-doors. That said, there is a long corridor area from the front bar to the function room, I always felt the crowd got a bit divided / lost there.

There isnt much of a reception for a grand arrival, but the gardens are lovely on a nice day. If the weather falls right youd get great photos. You might struggle on a bad one, but Im sure the venue is well versed on alternatives.

Im not a fan of the function room itself. It looks cheap in my opinion no matter what they do with it, and there used to be a strong smell of chlorine from the leisure centre underneath. Maybe they've sorted it, they hadnt as of last time I was there.

Food is pretty poor IMO. The normal restaurant caters for the older country crowd; very well cooked meat and mush vegetables. The last wedding I was at it was pretty poor - starter was a duck salad doused in sweet chilli sauce, and the salad was dry lettuce and grated carrot, clearly from a pre-chopped bag. Main course was a very very well cooked roast lamb with battered onion rings on a skewer through the top. Maybe this was based on the budget of the couple, but I've had better for a tenner.

Wasnt overly impressed by the bar service late on either.

There are positives - staff are nice, grounds are nice and an older crowd who value quantities of grub above all else would love it. I wouldnt be in any hurry back personally, but it depends what you're into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I live nearby and would echo the comments already. If you have kids attending the pool is great. Rooms are decent and okay for a wedding. Drinking late etc. Lots of local bars and cafes within walking distance which is a really good plus. They have some new rooms nearby that are lovely and right on the lake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

They are in Ballina County Tipperary. I don't know why they insist on transporting themselves across the Shannon

I would say their best days are long past. The business they used to get is long since captured by the Abbey Court in Nenagh

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lazyliza

Again I'd also agree with the comments above having been at a wedding there in July 2019. The food is nothing to be desired and the function room needs investment. Nearby venues Ashley Park House and Coolbaun Quay have really hugely shown it up and taken a lot of their business. Staff are lovely, perhaps more suited to an older wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Just to add my two cents on this, we'd booked our reception there for 2020, which obviously fell by the wayside. The staff there were unbelievable in helping us to refacilitate everything and were exceptional compared to other couples we knew in the same position. Now, we haven't actually had the wedding there (yet), but a friend in the catering industry recommended them to us based on how much they go out of their way to help couples even when the day goes arseways.

Honestly, go meet with them and see the place. The gardens are lovely, it's on the lake, and they are very pleasant to deal with. Far nicer to deal with than some of the more prestigious venues we had visited.

Advertisement