Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions advice needed on negative comments towards 6 year old by Teacher! !!

Options
  • 02-12-2020 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there,

I hope I am in the right area to post this, it's a long one..

My 6 year old has struggled since she started school, with reading and memory skills also writing, letter and number formations and reversals. She swaps hands when she is writing but is predominantly left handed. This has been noted to her teacher by myself on numerous occasions. My first child has dyslexia and I am very much aware of the signs, which I feel my 6 year old is showing. I shared my concerns with her teacher since junior infants last year. She has same teacher now for seniors.

The teacher was the same for my first child at the time, she blamed his lack of memory of tricky words, blending phonics bad reading etc on me not doing enough with him, it was stated I needed to read more with him and practice more. 2 years later with a new teachers support and help we got him diagnosed and turns out he has severe dyslexia under 10th percentile. For these years prior to diagnoses I felt that his struggles were my fault and guilt consumed me for these 2 years, from the result of his junior infants teacher at the time.

Forward on a few years and my 2nd child displays the same struggles, unfortunately she also has the same teacher as my first child did.

Here history repeats itself, comments are written in her workbook in big red writing with exclamation marks presenting negative comments about her writing. I have been blamed once again for not doing enough at home with her, the funny thing is when I get her to rub it out which causes great upset, to do it again she does the writing the exact same, she doesnt understand what is wrong and quite frankly neither do I her writing is messy but can still be read and understood, which is good enough for me. Her teacher says her work in school is better than her homework, she is so tired when doing homework which I'm sure any teacher could understand the dip in a child's work is due to tiredness in the evenings, but no she does not agree with me. The teacher feels I need to work more with her. Everyday at home we read go over phonics practice hand writing etc I can't do much more!!!!

I potentially have another child with learning issues on my hands and once again it is my fault, the teacher did not understand my upset over the comments and she in her own words stated that it is a message that I as her mother need to work harder at home with her.

Words can't begin to describe my anger.

Advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary SET here . Have your children class support plans / school support plans and if not, why not ? Are they attending for learning support ?

On lunch break so edited to give a bit more detail- some children with dyslexia don't get the "tricky words" or Dolch words very easily. What strategies has the teacher said to use to help her at home to work on them?

Phonics wise, you could try apps such as the Jolly Phonics one or my own favourite for parents of children that age "Teach Your Monster To Read."
    Writing wise, I'm a leftie and my writing was often condemned by teachers down the years -one actually tried to force me to write with my right hand.if she swaps hands at this stage, you need to gently encourage her to stick to the one she favours more. She could probably do with some fine motor skill work , which doesn't have to involve actual writing all of the time.

Do you read to her, does she see you reading ? Shared reading is super for making reading a nice activity to share, not a chore. There is a guide to "how to " do it correctly on the NEPS site

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AWrxNZynGlEJ:https://assets.gov.ie/41263/b5a89df5ab58412e8a01a2fedc8a9cd1.pdf+&cd=1&hl=ga&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=firefox-b-d

I've a list I often give to parents for motor skills -see below. it's very much about what you can manage in a fun way, not about a repetitive chore.

For reversals, what are the ones she mixes up? If b/d, try "b has a belly" (draw a b and put a belly button on it, d has a diaper (yes, American word, but it works!) and leave them where she can refer to them doing homework .
    She could trace the letters she mixes up in a tray of sand/flour/on the carpet, saying the name of the letter/ numeral she is learning over and over.

Motor Skills Work

1) Pick up and sort objects such as blocks, spools, coins, beans, marbles, cotton balls, pins, buttons, straws, nails, nuts, bolts, popcorn and place them into containers of varying sizes. (Egg cartons, cups, mugs, or jars etc.)

2) Pick up objects (blocks, cotton balls, counters, etc.) using tongs transferring them between containers

3) Stack objects

4) Screw and unscrew objects such as nuts and bolts, caps from jars

5) String beads onto a shoelace

6) Run a threaded needle through cloth

7) Fasten safety pins

8) Cut straight and curved lines/shapes drawn on paper, or cloth with scissors

9) Play the piano /other musical instrument

10) Type

11) Crumple paper in a small ball and then flick it with the index finger

12) Shuffle cards, deal cards one by one, turn cards over

13) Roll a pencil between thumb and fingers without dropping it

14) Knead dough

15) Stick small objects into play dough for him/her to pull out

16) Wind thread on a spool evenly

17) Put rubber bands around various size containers and objects

18) Use tweezers to pick up small objects

19) Move spoonfuls of small objects from one bowl to another

20) Do up buttons, zippers, or hooks

21) Tie shoelaces

22) Cut finger and toenails with clippers

23) Trace and copy letters

24) Do connect the dot puzzles

25) Solve mazes

26) Manually sharpen pencils

27) Use a manual can opener

28) Tie a box with string or ribbon

29) Put keys into locks to open doors

30) Put paper clips onto paper

31) Use a stapler

32) Remove staples with a staple remover

33) Place clothes pegs on the edge of a box or container

34) Knit!

35) Set a watch or clock

36) Pick up or move marbles using a melon baller. This could be made into a game – i.e. take turns rolling a die. Whatever number turns up, pick up that number of “marbles” and place them into an egg carton.

37) Use Lego to form shapes, letters, numbers, and other designs.

38) Colour using the flat side of a crayon. Put paper over leaves, stencils, and other objects so that the child gets sensory feedback as s/he colours.

39) Make a matching game (pictures, letters, or numbers) using a coffee can and clothes pins. Have the child put the clothes pins on the rim of the can.

40) Use sprayer bottles filled with water and sponges to have the child “clean” a desk or table, then squeeze the excess water into a dishpan. This is a great pre-scissor skill activity.

41) Lace various sized beads. Any activity involving the use of both hands is good to develop bilateral integration.

42) Put money into a piggy bank.

43) Using eye droppers to “pick up” water for colour mixing or to make artistic designs on paper.

44) Rolling small balls out of tissue paper, and then gluing the balls onto construction paper to form pictures or design

45) Turning over cards, coins or buttons, without bringing them to the edge of the table.

46) Drawing in a tactile medium such as wet sand, salt, rice, or “goop”. Make “goop” by adding water to flour until you have a mixture similar in consistency to toothpaste. The “drag” of this mixture provides feedback to the muscle and joint receptors, thus facilitating visual motor control.

47) Attach a large piece of drawing paper to the wall. Have the child use a large marker and try the following exercises to develop visual motor skills: Have the child trace over your line from left to right, or from top to bottom. Trace each figure at least 10 times. Then have the child draw the figure next to your model several times.

48) Play connect the dots. Again make sure the child’s strokes connect dots from left to right, and from top to bottom.

49) Trace around stencils – the non-dominant hand should hold the stencil flat and stable against the paper, while the dominant hand pushes the pencil firmly against the edge of the stencil. The stencil must be held firmly.

50) Attach a large piece of felt to the wall, or use a felt board. The child can use felt shapes to make pictures. Magnetic boards can be used the same way.

51) Have the child work on a chalkboard, using chalk instead of a marker. Do the same kinds of tracing and modelling activities as suggested above.

52) Paint at an easel. Some of the modelling activities as suggested above can be done at the easel.

53) Play “throw and catch” with a ball. Start with a large ball and work toward a smaller ball. (Sponge balls are easier to catch than a tennis ball.)

54) Practice hitting bowling pins with a ball. (You can purchase these games or make your own with plastic bottles and a small ball.)

55) Make GOO GLOVES! Take a rubber examining glove and put a table spoon of finger paint in the glove. Next fill the glove ¾ full with white PVA glue. Tie the end of the glove off. Wash off any glue or paint that might have gotten on the outside of the glove. Then you put another glove on the original and tie. This will give it extra protection. Squeeze the glove and work together the glue and paint until it is one solid colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Brilliant activities! I want to do them myself and Im a grown-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 househope2021

Thank you so much for the information you have provided me with the advice and tips is very helpful and will be put to use. Yes we read every night at bedtime a book of her choice, member of library too, she loves books, just struggles to read herself.

My older child who is diagnosed with dyslexia is receiving support and very good support at that and was receiving support prior to diagnoses when he moved from the teacher in question.

My 6 year old has not been referred to learning support, she is still expected to learn the same as others, no differentiation of the curriculum is implemented for her as of now.

My issues are with this teacher and her agenda to put me down as a mother, before my first child was diagnosed I was blamed for his struggles and now same again.

I will not take this attitude from a person of any kind let alone a teacher.

I really feel I need to go higher to complain about her.

Feelings are hurt here. And my 6 year old is being condemned for something she can't help.

I also work in the area of education and I would never do this to my children in my care. Red pens and negative comments are a thing of the past.

She needs to have a very rude awakening, she seems to have no time for the children with extra learning needs, which in this day and age is just totally unacceptable.

I will not be blamed for my children's dyslexia!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

When a child is obviously struggling, the class teacher must put the first stage of the continuum of support in place, called "classroom support." You should have been consulted on this to agree the strategies that are to be put in place. For the child attending support classes, there should be a plan called " school support" or "school support plus plan" and again ,you must be consulted about that, strategies must be agreed and roles outlined to everyone. You should have been given a copy of this plan.

It's not acceptable to blame a parent for a child's dyslexia. The school has to work with you, not apportion " blame."

Firstly, I would seek to do a phone consultation with the teachers about the plans in place. Your anger is understandable and the class teacher needs to know that you are both hurt and angry. It's going to difficult, but you need to put your anger aside for this call. Make out your points beforehand and outline them to the teacher. You need to think of what outcome you want for your child so keep that central in your mind at all times.

If you are not satisfied with the response, the next step is to talk to the principal and if you are still not satisfied, you take it to the BOM.

Totally agree with the previous post about keeping the child central to the issue. It seems like you may have got off on the wrong foot with this teacher. I don't think either of you can be blamed for the fact that a dyslexia diagnosis was not made sooner. In past times the d word was bandied about quite a bit but schools are wary of this now. I wonder if the colour of marking pens is mentioned anywhere in their school policies. Many teachers would avoid red nowadays.

• Advertisement

I use whatever pen colour I can lay my hands on at the time. I don't see an issue with the colour of the pen, it's the comments and volume of marking that would be an issue for me.

If there are large amounts of "corrections." as a teacher, I'd focus on one or two points like capital letters or the spelling of a few of the high frequency words. I'd scaffold the work for the child to the point of bringing them to my desk or quietly sitting close by to help out. The teacher could also provide a small word banks on the topic, either on the board or even in a small notebook.(Mask and visor on, obviously.)

If a child is struggling so hard, the teacher needs to help out not give out!
    Dyslexia is not usually diagnosed until around 8 years of age, but diagnosis or not, it's obvious the child has a difficulty in literacy and the school need to address this. An assessment shouldn't be needed to make that happen.

Have the school done any tests like the MIST or DEST/DENT ? If so, what was the outcome for your child, I wonder?

M.I.S.T. and the Forward Together Recovery Programme.

If she did the Forward Together program, then the school should have then considered her for extra support, I would have thought ? I’d talk to the learning support teacher before the class teacher , I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Perhaps you should arrange a meeting with the teacher and outline your concerns. As you have been down this road before with your other child it gives you somewhat of an advantage as you have experience. If you feel your second child needs additional supports then put that to the teacher.

While speaking to the teacher you need to raise your concerns as to how she communicates. If its negatively affecting your child the teacher needs to be told

Advertisement