Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unsolicited Goods!!

• 05-06-2020 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all, i received a package few weeks back that a courier Pitney Bowes part of eBay Global Shipping Program dropped off to me with my name and details on, no sales invoice or anything to say who sent or whos suppose to receive it. All i know i didn't order it.

How long before i can claim it mine as i dont want to get into bother using it, also i tried contacting ebay and Pitney Bowes but they are useless in dealing with missing packages and said ring me back within 3 working days but thats 3 weeks now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Sorry no legal advice given here. Leaving open for general comment subject to forum rules

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Passataudi

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    Sorry no legal advice given here. Leaving open for general comment subject to forum rules

Not looking for legal advice, sorry worded wrong, just similar things might of happened to someone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unsolicited goods legislation (in the sale of goods and supply of services act) specifically deals with items that someone is hoping you'll buy; I'm not aware of any legislation for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Perhaps you should directly return it to the courier company's local depot or Ebay's HQ in Dublin along with a covering note attached to state than you didn't order it and let them deal with it. Somebody somewhere must have ordered it and is short a parcel so it would be a good thing to do to make a little effort to return it.

Failing that or if both parties refuse to help then you could eave it into your local garda station as lost property. If it's unclaimed over time (It was a year and a day once upon a time) then the Gardaí may contact you to come and claim it for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Are you sure it’s not a gift from someone you know, OP? I’ve often sent gifts I’ve ordered online directly to the person’s address.

• Advertisement

Are you sure it’s not a gift from someone you know, OP? I’ve often sent gifts I’ve ordered online directly to the person’s address.

I wouldn't be that luck 🀣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Someone mentioned something like this recently ans someone else mentioned that there may be a slightly nefarious reason for third parties to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Victor wrote: »
    Someone mentioned something like this recently ans someone else mentioned that there may be a slightly nefarious reason for third parties to do this.

It was on today fm during the week, there was a company in England sending out “gifts”, some people had ordered stuff on wish back in February which was where this company seems to have originated, so they had a record of delivering a package. (Most people had forgotten their original order).

There was a name given to the system of sending out “gifts” during the show but it escapes me at the moment.

It's for getting fake "verified purchase" reviews on Amazon. Not sure the eBay system needs as much effort to fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Email them, letting them know they have a set time limit in order to contact you regarding collection of item, othwrwise you will dispose of it (get a 'read request' for the email.)

Then send a copy of the email via registered post so you can prove you tried to contact them in goodwill.

Do not bear any expense in returning the item.

(And then either dispose of it or keep it if it's worth anything to you).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Have anyone ever sent you a package through eBay before? It could be that your name and address are saved in their computer and so when they went to order something for themselves, they accidentally selected your details.

Happened me before where a friend ordered something after a glass or two of wine. Didn’t notice my details in the shopping. I received the clothing and had no clue where it came from. It was almost a year before we randomly mentioned it and put 2 + 2 together to figure out what had happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Victor wrote: »

I think what they would be referring to is Triangulation Fraud.

Here is an explanation: https://www.radial.com/insights/understanding-triangulation-fraud

Here is an excellent story told by a lady around her experience of being one of these recipients (well worth a watch): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IT2oAzTcvU

I think what they would be referring to is Triangulation Fraud.

Here is an explanation: https://www.radial.com/insights/understanding-triangulation-fraud

Here is an excellent story told by a lady around her experience of being one of these recipients (well worth a watch): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IT2oAzTcvU

That's a different fraud to the one where you get stuff you never bought though

Thanks for all info, its not cheap item or i wouldn't be too bothered, there's no sales invoice or return address and no sales receipt. Ebay contact, Pbi and Royal mail couldn't tell me what to do with it because of confidentiality and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

Are you sure your eBay account or PayPal account hasn't been hacked??

10fathoms wrote: »
    Are you sure your eBay account or PayPal account hasn't been hacked??

Ya i checked that out, i also dont trust paypal or ebay so i do use three money card for all online purchases, top up card as required

Still no update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

What is it?

Advertisement