Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous inter-county minors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Jimmy Sloyan played minor for Mayo but walked away from it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

feargale wrote: »
    Oh for heaven's sake, did no county minor ever go on to do anything other than kick a football in another code?

Statesmen, Popes, Tycoons, Revolutionaries, Poets, Mass murderers, Scientists and Inventors please.

I wonder did Slab Murphy ever tog out for Louth or Armagh, probably eligible for both depending on which bedroom in his house he was sleeping in. I'll let you guys decide for yourselves which of those categories he falls into:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

I wonder did Slab Murphy ever tog out for Louth or Armagh, probably eligible for both depending on which bedroom in his house he was sleeping in. I'll let you guys decide for yourselves which of those categories he falls into:p

Slab won a senior county medal with Roche Emmets- Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Phil Hogan agriculture commissioner won a junior county medal with Tullaroon.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Irish Times political editor Pat Leahy hurled minor for Tipp in 1990. From St. Mary's club in Clonmel.

Another Clonmel man, LOI legend Ollie Cahill played minor football for Tipp in 93.
    Tommy O'Donnell of Cahir/Munster/Ireland was on minor football panel, not sure if he played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Depending on your political viewpoint could be all of them, well maybe not pope

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

golfball37 wrote: »
    Slab won a senior county medal with Roche Emmets- Louth

Wow seems he did:eek: Here's a photo of that team featuring one 'Tom Murphy'. Think that's him with the ball at his feet

f4aa4231-d961-4a3b-8c68-b6286ae38ed0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Irish Times political editor Pat Leahy hurled minor for Tipp in 1990. From St. Mary's club in Clonmel.

Another Clonmel man, LOI legend Ollie Cahill played minor football for Tipp in 93.
    Tommy O'Donnell of Cahir/Munster/Ireland was on minor football panel, not sure if he played.

Ollie Cahill went back playing GAA with St Vincent's in Dublin when retired from playing LOI. Billy Dennehy who played soccer with Cork City played minor football with Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Would people read the OP please.

Can anybody add to this list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Shane Long played minor hurling for Tipperary.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

afro man wrote: »
    Niall Breslin -Bressie football with Westmeath

tommy bowe - Monaghan football I think

Ciaran fitzgerald - Galway minor football went on to have a decent rugby career with Ireland

Very good, but Ciaran Fitzgerald actually played minor hurling, for Galway v Cork in the 1970 All-Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,857 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Shane Supple the former Republic of Ireland U-21 goalkeeper who played for Bohemians, Ipswich, Falkirk and Oldham... he made a couple of senior squads under O’Neill but was never capped...

0010aa93-500.jpg

He also represented Dublin at senior and minor intercounty level...

shanesupple.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Did a guy call ‘Bill Sex’ play for Kildare in the late 70’s / 80’s.....? not sure if he played minor though.....he got pulled off to other sports but always ‘emptied his tank/sack’ on the field

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Did a guy call ‘Bill Sex’ play for Kildare in the late 70’s / 80’s.....? not sure if he played minor though.....he got pulled off to other sports but always ‘emptied his tank/sack’ on the field

( this link confirms that the ‘sex’ surname is associated with Kildare football......https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/best-gaa-names-time-98867)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,857 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/best-gaa-names-time-98867

Yes..mind you, I’d be calling myself William...imagine trying to check into a hotel...

“Hi, Bill Sex please”

“I’m sorry sir, we are not that kind of establishment”

My mother had a second cousin called called Kathleen Sex, her marriage name was Sex...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Jackie Healy Rae played hurling for Kerry at minor I've been told. Maybe senior as well, in mid 50s.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Jackie Healy Rae played hurling for Kerry at minor I've been told. Maybe senior as well, in mid 50s.

He may have. He won two senior county championships with Kilgarvan in the 1950s. Kerry won All-Ireland junior in 1956 or 1957. Was he on that team? It should easy to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

My Grandfathers neighbours in Newbridge. It was pure confusion as a young lad when my mother tried to explain sex was their surname before bringing us round to their house to visit. Loved talking about football and me being from Kerry, they loved the craic. Seamus Moynihan a particular favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

2 people from the world of podcasting

1 of the 2 Johnnie's played minor football for tipp

Ciaran Murphy from Second captains played minor and u21 football for Galway

Outside of those Darren Sweetnam Munster rugby player actually was on the cork senior hurling panel for a year in 2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

Conor McCarthy who plays for Scottish club St Mirren and knocked Rangers out of the cup a few weeks back played minor hurling for Cork in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

Went on to become a president of America after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

feargale wrote: »
    Can you confirmnthat Neil Lennonnplayed minor for Armagh?

I know I'm late but here are a few pictures of Neil Lennon I'm an Armagh jersey

https://www.balls.ie/football/pictures-from-neil-lennons-time-as-a-minor-footballer-with-armagh-63716

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jim Stynes (Aussie Rules)

Dublin minor football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Stynes

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

And not to forget Liam Lawlor! Minor hurler for Dublin in 60s and later senior, and was picked for Leinster Railway cup team.

I checked Healey Rae's biog. Says he won countys with Kilgarvan but no mention of Kerry. Can't recall who told me he had, but they would have pretty good knowledge of Kerry hurling.

And not to forget Liam Lawlor! Minor hurler for Dublin in 60s and later senior, and was picked for Leinster Railway cup team.

I checked Healey Rae's biog. Says he won countys with Kilgarvan but no mention of Kerry. Can't recall who told me he had, but they would have pretty good knowledge of Kerry hurling.

I met him once in Buswell's Hotel and I asked him if they still played the hurling in Kilgarvan. "They do that'" he said. I told him I wouldn't rest until Kerry won the double. He said: " you'll never see that."

I would have seen a good bit of Lawlor when i was a kid. He played for same club as uncles and with one of them for Dublin.

Was with two of the uncles in Thurles when Dublin drew with Kerry in 2001 and we bumped into Lawlor on way back into town. This was when he was pretty much hated and he got a few dirty looks and a few comments from passersby but he didn't pay any heed.

To be honest i was probably hoping no-one i knew saw me with him! A rogue no doubt but looked after his friends when it came to jobs. If that's any mitigation.

I would have seen a good bit of Lawlor when i was a kid. He played for same club as uncles and with one of them for Dublin.

Was with two of the uncles in Thurles when Dublin drew with Kerry in 2001 and we bumped into Lawlor on way back into town. This was when he was pretty much hated and he got a few dirty looks and a few comments from passersby but he didn't pay any heed.

To be honest i was probably hoping no-one i knew saw me with him! A rogue no doubt but looked after his friends when it came to jobs. If that's any mitigation.

For all of that he came from an eminent Laois family:  Patrick "Patt" Lalor, a landowner and supporter of the abolition of tithes who was a member of the British parliament (MP) in 1832–1835; Patt Lalor was the first Catholic MP from Queen's County since the Penal Days. He had 11 children. The eldest was James Fintan Lalor, who was involved in the Young Ireland movement and the rebellion of 1848. Another, Richard Lalor, also became a member of the British Parliament, representing the Parnellite nationalist party. The youngest, Peter led the Eureka Rebellion in Australia, and reputedly was the first to suggest The Southern Cross as Australia's emblem.
    Liam's cousin, Paddy Lalor from Abbeyleix played on the last senior hurling final involving Laois v. Tipperary in 1949 and was later a FF government minister. I think some of them spelled the name as Lawlor and others as Lalor.

• Advertisement

Indeed! Remember one of uncles giving out that someone - Lawlor's son i think - at the funeral said that his father preferred Laois hurling to Dublin because it was tougher.

Only distinguishing feature of Dublin and Laois hurling in late 60s and early 70s was probably its ferocity between the clubs and the Dublin, Laois and Offaly county teams hammering one another to compensate for not being much good at anything else, and of course trying to bate the sh1te out of the Cats or Wexford was a pretty meaningless gesture. So uncle obviously regarded that as a kind of insult! they had to be good at something :-(

Advertisement