Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GSM Line Fault HKC

• 09-08-2018 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a HKC alarm installed with SecureCom app etc, paying monthly to HKC. About 15 mins ago I got a GSM Line Fault, alarm started beeping and app won't connect. Just wondering if anybody could offer any tips, before I contact my installer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Ok so I'm guessing the signal dropped for a short time, but the red/amber lights are no longer flashing, suggesting the fault has cleared?

However I still can't access the alarm through the Securecomm app. Maybe it just needs some time to reconnect?

All good now. I'm guessing signal dropped momentarily, and once it came back it took a little while for the unit to communicate with HKC servers, for the app to start working again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Did you get a notification on the phone network down?:eek:

KoolKid wrote: »
    Did you get a notification on the phone network down?:eek:

No. I'm guessing it might have eventually when the system was polled, but as I heard the beeping I had the fault cleared within about 30 seconds. According to the log it was down for about 8 minutes.

Just went again...hopefully just a mast problem in the area and not an issue with my install specifically! On a side note, I think I actually did get a notification but my phone was on silent.

• Advertisement

It appears Three are having problems with data throughout the country tonight...possibly to do with that. I don't know what network the sim defaults to?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They should be international SIMs that roam on any network.
    We have lots of apps & monitoring on GSM/GPRS havn't heard of anything down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

It appears Three are having problems with data throughout the country tonight...possibly to do with that. I don't know what network the sim defaults to?

Hey Sponge, any more faults since then? I’ve had about 6 since the 10th, just had one now. In Dublin.

van_beano wrote: »
    Hey Sponge, any more faults since then? I’ve had about 6 since the 10th, just had one now. In Dublin.

Yep, 5 or 6 since Thursday. Spoke to installer today and he's had reports from a good few customers. He was to contact HKC.

Yep, 5 or 6 since Thursday. Spoke to installer today and he's had reports from a good few customers. He was to contact HKC.

I forwarded the log to my installer today, I’d say he’s gotten a few calls the same. There’s about 8 min intervals before it rectifies itself.

Is it possible to stop it beeping and talking to me if it goes down in the early hours? Went down at 2am this morn, kids and everyone up, thinking it was a drill!

• Advertisement

There’s about 8 min intervals before it rectifies itself.

Yeah I noticed approx. 7.5 minutes between each drop.
    Is it possible to stop it beeping and talking to me if it goes down in the early hours? Went down at 2am this morn, kids and everyone up, thinking it was a drill!

I believe so. At least my installer mentioned it could be done if it becomes an issue.

I forwarded the log to my installer today, I’d say he’s gotten a few calls the same. There’s about 8 min intervals before it rectifies itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Mine first started beeping today and also again just now. 'GSM line fault' D15 area. Can't connect via my phone app.

Sorry for the double posting.
    manster wrote: »
    Mine first started beeping today and also again just now. 'GSM line fault' D15 area. Can't connect via my phone app.

They last between 7 & 8 minutes, Manster, then the fault clears itself, communication between the app and alarm would be down during the fault. You’ll have to go to the control panel to manually enter the code if you want to quiten the alert if it goes off in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Had the fault this morning. Reset by keying in alarm code. Second time it's happened in a week. Had the alarm two years and up until this had no trouble.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Had the fault this morning. Reset by keying in alarm code. Second time it's happened in a week. Had the alarm two years and up until this had no trouble.

Same here, at 6:05am to about 6:13am. It's happened about 8 times since August 10th

Is this the comms for the app going down altogether lads?

Is this the comms for the app going down altogether lads?

Yeah it won't connect when you go into the app. Just times out

Very disappointing for it to be happening so often , especially on a paid for service.
    Seems a lot more commonplace since they were sold to Abloy. Probably unrelated but concerning all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Happened once again for me. Very annoying. Spoke to my old installer (no longer registered) who had already spoken with HKC. This is supposedly a recent fault that affects panels that have not got the latest version. The newer panels do not report the issue. His advice was to wait it out as HKC are on the the network companies to find a fix. He showed me how to turn off the notifications (beeps) when there is a GSM line fault. Also recommended to get the alarm serviced and ask the installer that the latest software is to be added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Sono

Another one here experiencing this problem, alarm is 2 years old and started on Sunday, has happened 3 times this week the latest one was last night, very frustrating to say the least.

My installer said it’s to do with the 3 Network and they are aware of it but that’s not much good to me if it’s going to keep happening.

Sono wrote: »

My installer said it’s to do with the 3 Network and they are aware of it but that’s not much good to me if it’s going to keep happening.

All these systems should be using international sim cards. So issues with one network should not affect it. Also, most systems we use would use IP and GPRS so a mobile network should only be relevant if there was an issue with your broadband also.
    Judging by how widespread this appears to be it would be be more likely the issue is with Securecom rather than anyone's connection or any individual network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭altor

Its the sims on the network itself.
    The sims are deregistering from the network and then reconnecting.
    Securecomm hasn't gone down since it was first started up so scaremongering helps nobody.
    The sim providers are looking into the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Also having the same issue, surprised it wasn't just our alarm

Does anyone having these issues not have WiFi also connected?
    A system using GSM and WiFi would make more sense.

Does anyone having these issues not have WiFi also connected?
    A system using GSM and WiFi would make more sense.

I don't have it connected to WiFi.

Strange. Most apps on alarms have the options for both. This would eliminate these network problems.

I don't have it connected to WiFi.

Must be an older GSM you have installed as the newer GSM is a dual card.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    Must be an older GSM you have installed as the newer GSM is a dual card.

Got it put in oven two years ago.

Got it put in oven two years ago.

Its only out since February this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

manster wrote: »
    Also recommended to get the alarm serviced and ask the installer that the latest software is to be added.

If it was connected through WiFi also would it update itself? Surely an engineer isnt required for an update ?

Happening again here this morning, so annoying.

baby fish wrote: »
    If it was connected through WiFi also would it update itself? Surely an engineer isnt required for an update ?

Software updates are not automatic on that panel. An engineer call would be required.

Sono wrote: »
    Happening again here this morning, so annoying.

I would be very frustrated especially on a service that you are paying for.
    I am confused as to why these were set upon GSM only when your own broadband would be free to use. The most logical configuration here would be over your broadband and switch to GSM if that goes down. GSM only is prone to network issues not to mention jamming. Which is not good considering comms fail is only notified to you 5 hours later.

• Advertisement

I would be very frustrated especially on a service that you are paying for.
    I am confused as to why these were set upon GSM only when your own broadband would be free to use. The most logical configuration here would be over your broadband and switch to GSM if that goes down. GSM only is prone to network issues not to mention jamming. Which is not good considering comms fail is only notified to you 5 hours later.

Yeah that’s true not to mention a 5 month old in the house, the alarm has gone off randomly also during these faults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

I am confused as to why these were set upon GSM only when your own broadband would be free to use
    I have asked an installer about doing this, he said he can, but he suggested to only connect through WiFi as a second path, only if you have very reliable broadband, like fibre broadband..I think his point was if the broadband goes down, you'd be getting the same warnings?

A strange logic. I would say broadband first and GSM as a back up. That's the way virtually all other systems work. We have lots of systems using both options . During all these "network issues" we had no issues with systems down.

baby fish wrote: »
    I have asked an installer about doing this, he said he can, but he suggested to only connect through WiFi as a second path, only if you have very reliable broadband, like fibre broadband..I think his point was if the broadband goes down, you'd be getting the same warnings?

Wi-Fi would always be the primary path using a dual system. The dual path on HKC sends alarms signals over both paths so it not dependent on one path as such. Other systems will needs the Wi-Fi to go down for a set time before switching over the the GSM path.

Has anyone heard of any specific timeframe that this'll be fixed?

The beeping woke me at 4:10am this morn, I didn't fancy getting up and manually entering the code to stop the beeping so waited the 8 or so minutes it takes to re-establish communication and I used the App to turn it off.

Issues started 11 days ago.

• Advertisement

A long time for any "network issues" to go on for.
    We have many different systems using GSM for apps &/or monitoring. None have had these issues.

A long time for any "network issues" to go on for.
    We have many different systems using GSM for apps &/or monitoring. None have had these issues.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with this one as it was only installed last year. To be fair this is the first issue I've had with it in that time, wouldn't be so bad if it decided to lose communication during day time hours, this middle of the night lark is annoying.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with this one as it was only installed last year. To be fair this is the first issue I've had with it in that time, wouldn't be so bad if it decided to lose communication during day time hours, this middle of the night lark is annoying.

Wasn't suggesting you should have to change. More curious how "network issues" don't affect other systems.
    But its clearly an issue that needs sorting. The audible alerts should be able to be turned off in the meantime. Have you asked your installer?

Wasn't suggesting you should have to change. More curious how "network issues" don't affect other systems.
    But its clearly an issue that needs sorting. The audible alerts should be able to be turned off in the meantime. Have you asked your installer?

I sent him the alarm log the other day and asked him to check with HKC about a timeframe fix, no reply back!

I wouldn't mind but he was always good at getting back to me on other issues like remotely correcting my clock time on the alarm and fixing a faulty wireless sensor.

I sent him the alarm log the other day and asked him to check with HKC about a timeframe fix, no reply back!

I wouldn't mind but he was always good at getting back to me on other issues like remotely correcting my clock time on the alarm and fixing a faulty wireless sensor.

Its the connection to Three that is causing the issue.
    You can get your installer to request that the system does not see the three network until Three sort out the issue.
    Another option is to get him to update the software on the panel and GSM.
    The newer software is quicker at changing networks so you would not get the fault again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

Hi all,
    I'm getting this problem more and more regularly now. Was sporadic for nearly 2 years but in the last month or so has been maybe once a week and over last few days has been a few times, 3 times so far this evening. Is this a network issue or something that the installer has to come out and fix? Thanks

Some are saying it's a network issue. I was under the impression that these use international sim cards that will roam on any network.
    We have lots of alarms using sim cards with other manufacturers and we are not seeing any issues like this.

Mine has been fault free for 8 days now after about 11 days of intermittent faults, no doubt it'll go down tonight after just posting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Same, we've had no issues of late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

Ok thanks folks, I hope it sorts itself out. Costing valuable cents in text messages for nothing :) I was on to Eir/Meteor to find out if there were network upgrades going on in my area and they said replace the SIM. If it continues I guess it will a call out for the alarm installer either way

• Advertisement
Advertisement