Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,575 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Right now, that may have been the *only* way to get to Austria by air. And by land/rail isn't viable with a UK passport and special purpose visa.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tony Connelly is reporting that because of the process set up for payments under the Brexit Fund, recipients could find out afterwards that they may have to pay some of it back...
    The European Court of Auditors has raised concerns about how the EU's €5 billion Brexit fund will operate, suggesting that some member states may have to pay money back because so much of the fund is being paid out up front, and because of the risk of funding projects which might later turn out to be ineligible.

Ireland is by far the largest recipient of the Brexit Adjustment Reserve (BAR), receiving nearly one quarter of the first tranche, on the basis that it will be worst hit by Brexit.

Officials believe that because member states do not have to submit claims until September 2023, the scope for projects being turned down retroactively - and money having to be paid back - is significant.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/0301/1200207-brexit-adjustment-reserve/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

L1011 wrote: »
    Right now, that may have been the *only* way to get to Austria by air. And by land/rail isn't viable with a UK passport and special purpose visa.

Ryanair, Wizz and Easyjet still seem to have (in total between them) one or two flights a day going London to Vienna. Prices generally quite low.
    In fairness to him he might not have been coming from London so a stop-over may have been more efficient if he was coming from Manchester/Yorkshire etc. Pity the article doesn't make that clear.

Also there seems to plenty of AMS-VIE flights each day with no shortage of seats, so not really sure why he had to wait 2 days for the next flight according to the article.

The whole thing just read strange to me - the Guardian clearly put it in as a sympathetic story, yet it came across almost like a 'luvvie-bait' article in the Express or Mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Another story of an artist-type struggling with the rules post Brexit.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/28/theatre-designer-warns-of-obstacles-for-arts-workers-in-europe-post-brexit

I'm struggling a bit with this one.
    On the one hand he is a remainer who campaigned as such, and went on the marches in the years after the vote.

On the other hand he appears to also represent that bizarre level of British exceptionalism - he seems to be demanding a system where there'll be a single EU visa that he can apply for that will entitle him to pick up ad-hoc freelance work in any country. Not the way it's going to work with sovereign countries.

As for deciding that the best way to get from UK to Austria was a stop-over in Schiphol (presumably to save money over a direct flight) - not to mention apparently giving himself less than an hour to make his connecting flight. That's the sort of thing which is no longer going to be a runner.
    “I asked the official if ‘my passport is still the old EU type [with burgundy cover] can I use the gates?’ She laughed and said ‘I am afraid not, you have to have your papers checked’,” he said. “It was completely
    humiliating”.

I remember getting screamed at by Border control because my Irish Passport Card didn't work, the instructions clearly said "With Biometric Symbol" on the gate.

Spent 3 or 4 minutes calling me a moron while I stood there in silence and finally I said "are you done? I'm not really interested in a discussion I'd just like to move along"

"DON'T GET SMART THERE SUNSHINE MOVE ALONG"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Another story of an artist-type struggling with the rules post Brexit.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/28/theatre-designer-warns-of-obstacles-for-arts-workers-in-europe-post-brexit

I'm struggling a bit with this one.
    On the one hand he is a remainer who campaigned as such, and went on the marches in the years after the vote.

On the other hand he appears to also represent that bizarre level of British exceptionalism - he seems to be demanding a system where there'll be a single EU visa that he can apply for that will entitle him to pick up ad-hoc freelance work in any country. Not the way it's going to work with sovereign countries.

As for deciding that the best way to get from UK to Austria was a stop-over in Schiphol (presumably to save money over a direct flight) - not to mention apparently giving himself less than an hour to make his connecting flight. That's the sort of thing which is no longer going to be a runner.

Honestly I don't have any sympathy. This is what it means to be a third country, and the more the UK reports on it perhaps it might sink in. I have a Filipino colleague, who has lived and worked in Austria for 30 years, but retained his Filipino citizenship rather than getting Austrian citizenship (there's a work benefits reason for doing so), whereas his wife and children all have Austrian citizenship. He also has a diplomatic pass card issued by the Austrian government, and he is constantly having issues at Schiphol. I've had issues transitting through the US to Canada in the past. This is the nature of border controls to third countries.

And in relation to redcups post, I've had similar encounters with the border controls at Schiphol, the staff are quite...something at the best of times! And that was just transitting out of Schengen and onto Ireland, nevevr mind being non-EU. That gate setup they have is a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ryanair, Wizz and Easyjet still seem to have (in total between them) one or two flights a day going London to Vienna. Prices generally quite low.
    In fairness to him he might not have been coming from London so a stop-over may have been more efficient if he was coming from Manchester/Yorkshire etc. Pity the article doesn't make that clear.

Also there seems to plenty of AMS-VIE flights each day with no shortage of seats, so not really sure why he had to wait 2 days for the next flight according to the article.

The whole thing just read strange to me - the Guardian clearly put it in as a sympathetic story, yet it came across almost like a 'luvvie-bait' article in the Express or Mail.

Amsterdam is (was) one of the UKs biggest *internal* transfer airport isn't it? I know on several occasions for myself or friends not living in London it was the preferred or only option when flying from one location in the UK to another, most Scottish destinations in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Amsterdam is (was) one of the UKs biggest *internal* transfer airport isn't it? I know on several occasions for myself or friends not living in London it was the preferred or only option when flying from one location in the UK to another, most Scottish destinations in particular.
    Until the UK copped on, a bit late in the day (months after the practice started), that the South African Covid variant was getting into the UK from returning Brit holiday makers, transiting via Schipol to bypass the "no direct flights from ZA" measures.

My mother-in-law's return flight, Lux-Manchester via Schipol (no direct flights to Manchester anymore) was summarily cancelled at short notice, as a result of Johnson and Hancock put the kibosh on NL flights the other week. That was the 2nd attempt at getting her home.

Brexit and Covid, in particular their latest interplay since 1st Jan with the BR/ZA/UK variants prompting emergency reconfinement measures here, there and everywhere on the Continent, have turned international (UK/EU27) travel into still more of a nightmare, lately.

We're driving my mother-in-law to Paris (200 miles away) this weekend, to catch a direct CDG-Manchester flight. 3rd attempt to "get her back home" in the past month or so, *this time* with the extra, non-refundable £210 UK test kit. Curfews notwithstanding. I'll print self-certs and we'll just have to wing it.

But then, Paris could end up getting reconfined by the weekend, due to ongoing variant-led infection surges. And thus, declared a red zone by the UK, meaning flights cancelled yet again. That is all, against a background of her tourist visa expiring at month end (90 days from 1st Jan).

I'm philosophical about it, note. It is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

QEPY1Ft.png

Brexit in one picture aint it

This is from a pet food company in UK preparing paperwork to export to EU now that they found themselves in a third country https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/lvh3hk/paperwork_required_to_send_a_single_order_to_eu/

If only I don't know they remained members of I dont know some sort of a club :cool:

One aspect brexiteers in their ideology havent thought through but if the EU does fall apart as per their expectations (any day now) then would that not mean even more different types of form filling depending on each individual country (in that countries language to boot)

Indeed. They expected some sort of special deal from the EU but not sure what they thought would happen to said special deal as soon as the EU fell apart as they also predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

So we've hit the 'Freedom Fries' part of the Brexit process.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

One aspect brexiteers in their ideology havent thought through but if the EU does fall apart as per their expectations (any day now) then would that not mean even more different types of form filling depending on each individual country (in that countries language to boot)
    Found this on reddit thread for that topic but it honestly summarize the Brexit mindset soooo well as expressed in the headlines...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Can we move away from just pasting links here please? Thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

ambro25 wrote: »
    My mother-in-law's return flight, Lux-Manchester via Schipol (no direct flights to Manchester anymore) was summarily cancelled at short notice...I'm philosophical about it, note. It is what it is.

Am I right in remembering you talking about your mother-in-law being a full on Brexiteer? How is she feeling about the whole thing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Am I right in remembering you talking about your mother-in-law being a full on Brexiteer? How is she feeling about the whole thing now?
    She was certainly taken in by the disinformation back in the day, and voted for it, no matter what we said and explained at the time.

I don't know for sure how she feels about it. She doesn't let on. Over time, it's become something that we don't talk about. Her, because she's too proud. Me, to keep the domestic/marital peace.

It does not matter, either in our small and personal scheme, or in the grander scheme of things. It is what it is, there is no 'reset' opportunity available anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Can we move away from just pasting links here please? Thanks.

2 posts removed.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The argument that some in the UK are making around the fishing industry is getting more amusing.
    https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1366834934795624452?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Hurrache wrote: »
    The argument that some in the UK are making around the fishing industry is getting more amusing.

I know Brexit has long passed the point of satire( so much of Brexit would be so unbelievable that it wouldn't even be credible as comedy) but how has the Conservative government got away with it? Where is the opposition? The situation linked while extremely funny is also scary because it appears that you have a politican caught telling lies. I know that many Brexiters will adopt this position or go down the no true Scotsman approach but how long can this last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Guardian are reporting that the UK violated EU regulations by failing to inform their EU partners about criminal convictions for 8 years. involving over 112k criminals including over 200 murderers and rapists.

And they knew about their broken reporting system for the past 6 years but didn’t tell anyone because it might harm the UKs reputation

Do the words good riddance have more meaning?

https://amp.theguardian.com/law/2021/mar/02/uk-failed-to-inform-eu-countries-about-almost-200-killers-and-rapists

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

EU brings in repairable for 10 years law.
    New devices will also have to come with repair manuals and be made in such a way that they can be dismantled using conventional tools when they really can't be fixed anymore, to improve recycling.

This means UK manufacturers will have to comply for goods for sale to the EU

Shoddy UK journalist assumes the UK will implement the same laws for UK consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Shoddy UK journalist assumes the UK will implement the same laws for UK consumers.
    This is brilliant. One more baby step along the road to no more stupid proprietary screw heads that are designed only to stop owners from fixing/upgrading their own property

Next stop, preventing Manufacturers from deliberately making screws out of extra soft metals that shear easily without exactly sized and shaped proprietary tools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,696 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't think he's assuming that the UK government will implement the same law. He's just assuming that few or no UK manufacturers are producing exclusively for the home market and, if they want to sell into the EU, they'll have to make EU-compliant products. Economic realities dictate this, in other words; not legal rules.

The UK is a rule-taker now. This is one of the rules they have to take.

Akrasia wrote: »
    The Guardian are reporting that the UK violated EU regulations by failing to inform their EU partners about criminal convictions for 8 years. involving over 112k criminals including over 200 murderers and rapists.

And they knew about their broken reporting system for the past 6 years but didn’t tell anyone because it might harm the UKs reputation

Do the words good riddance have more meaning?

https://amp.theguardian.com/law/2021/mar/02/uk-failed-to-inform-eu-countries-about-almost-200-killers-and-rapists

And they expect to be trusted now as a non-member. Shocking but not surprising about sums up everything out of the UK in the last five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

I was reading that the UK is//will be applying the same rule to incoming class B shellfish from Ireland/NI exported to GB. Is that correct? It seemed shockingly hypocritical - even for Brexiters (complain about a law being applied by the EU saying it was totally unreasonable, while doing it yourself).

fash wrote: »
    I was reading that the UK is//will be applying the same rule to incoming class B shellfish from Ireland/NI exported to GB. Is that correct? It seemed shockingly hypocritical - even for Brexiters (complain about a law being applied by the EU saying it was totally unreasonable, while doing it yourself).
    UK does have exactly the same rules regarding importing and selling shellfish as the EU has. They haven't been enforcing them up to now because they haven't been enforcing any of their import rules against imports from the EU because — surprise, surprise! — at the end of transition they were wholly unprepared to implement their own rules.

But they will be implementing them — some rules will be enforced from 1 April, others from 1 July. I'm not sure where the shellfish rules fit on that timetable.

They are entitled to enforce the rules against class B shellfish imported from NI to GB, but they're not obliged to — it's a domestic matter. EU doesn't care whether they do or not, and they certainly have no obligation to. And given that they made a commitment to Unionists at one point that NI would enjoy unfettered access to the GB market, you'd have to think that they probably won't.

But that, of course, creates a (perhaps theoretical) opportunity for IRL producers to export their Class B shellfish to NI without pre-purification , from where — if UK operates no controls on the NI>GB shellfish trade — they could be further exported to GB.

But this may be more theoretical than real, for a couple of reasons.

First, it's not only illegal to import unpurified class B shellfish; it's illegal to sell them to consumers. So - unless the importer intends to flout this law also - importing the unpurified fish only makes sense if you have facilities to purify them in the UK before selling to consumers. And the reason the UK is in a tizz about this is because they have limited purification capacity, so it would be difficult for the importer of the unpurified fish to get them purified in GB.

Secondly, with shellfish it's all about speed. Having to send shellfish IRL>NI, and then send them NI>GB, with presumably some repackaging or relabelling or other jiggery-pokery to conceal the fact that they were imported into NI, would presumably make the journey a bit fraught, and introduce delay or the risk of delay. And that's not a viable business model for shellfish.

It should be noted that Ireland has a lot of production beds in class A waters; shellfish from those beds do not need purification to be imported to GB or sold there. I don't have any figures for what proportion of Irish shellfish production is from class A waters, but it must be signficant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Denmark are to begin sending Syrian refugees home as Syria is now considered safe to return.

An EU country making a sovereign decision regarding it's own borders. :)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9316633/Denmark-European-country-Syrian-migrants-country.html#comments

Kind of blows that Brexiteer argument out of the water really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Denmark are to begin sending Syrian refugees home as Syria is now considered safe to return.

An EU country making a sovereign decision regarding it's own borders. :)

*link removed*

Kind of blows that Brexiteer argument out of the water really.

They lost the Dublin Protocol, they have a new law they passed in December that if a refugee travels through a safe country they will try to return them there.

They need a replacement deal for that though since they left the EU and the framework.

• Advertisement

redcup342 wrote: »
    They lost the Dublin Protocol, they have a new law they passed in December that if a refugee travels through a safe country they will try to return them there.

They need a replacement deal for that though since they left the EU and the framework.
    Meh. This is showboating.

UK is a party to the Refugee Convention, under which if someone has a well-founded fear of persecution on the grounds etc etc in their home country, you can't deny them refugee status on the basis that they could have sought refugee status in another safe country through which they passed, but didn't. Asylum-seekers are under no obligation to seek refugee status in the first safe country to which they come. (The reasons for this rule will be obvious to anyone who gives the matter a moment's thought.)

This doesn't mean that you can't return them to a another safe country though. You have to afford them protection as refugees, but not necessarily by letting them settle in your own country; you can do it by arranging for them to settle in another safe country. Obviously, that requires the agreement of the other country.

As pointed out, the Dublin Protocol is such an agreement, allowing (but not requiring) EU countries to return refugees to other EU countries through which they have passed. But the UK is no longer a party to the Dublin Protocol.

The recent change in law in the UK purports to allow the UK, not to grant you refugee status and then protect you by arrangement with another safe country, but to deny you refugee status, send you to another safe country and tell you to seek protection there.

This seems contrary to the obligations the UK has accepted in the Refugee Convention and, when challenged in the courts, will very likely be struck down.

But it won't be challenged in the courts until the UK attempts to deport someone to a safe country through which they passed to have their refugee status determined there. And that's unlikely to happen because no country is likely to accept a deportation under those conditions.

So, the UK has this illegal but fascist-pleasing "get tough with asylum-seekers" law on the books, but it won't be struck down because it can't be operated, and the UK gets to blame other countries for the fact that it can't be operated, when in fact the reason the other countries won't co-operate with it is because it's illegal. What's not to like?*

* [Unless you're an asylum-seeker, languishing in indefinite detention because the UK refuses to adjudicate your claim for protection. But who cares about them?]

That's actually a great law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

That's actually a great law.

I think the UK announced a similar law already (it was mentioned earlier in this thread).

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I think the UK announced a similar law already (it was mentioned earlier in this thread).

Not that I recall. I think there was an ongoing debate in the EU over the right to repair which would suggest that this law is the culmination of that debate.

It's pretty disgusting to see people throwing out functioning devices after a short period of time. It's horrendous for the environment and hopefully this makes manufacturers design them with longevity in mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have a Dyson hand held vacuum cleaner that has a failed battery. The battery includes a circuit that disables the whole thing and flashes a red light to show it has failed. It cannot be repaired even though the unit was functioning fine before. The battery is designed to be impossible to take apart so any attempt at repair will damage the plastic parts that snap together never to part. Batteries have a short life and need to be repairable and it is important that recycling occurs for the cells as they contain valuable elements, but are hazardous.

Repair is not the only problem. I want to upgrade the memory in my computer, but the particular chip in unobtainable because the design of memory is constantly changing - due to new technology. Speed increases, voltage changes, and the socket it plugs into changes.

One thing that could help would be for those domestic appliances that go for recycling are disassembled and the good parts offered for use to repair other examples of that model that need repairs.

This type of legislation is one of the brilliant aspects of the EU that brings sanity to everyday life. They did it with inefficient vacuum cleaners, and with mobile phone chargers. They did it with roaming charges. Let us hope they do not stop here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The UK is a rule-taker now. This is one of the rules they have to take.

It'll be interesting to see how this is spun as a Great Tory Idea To Benefit the British Consumer, as has been done to so many previous life-improving EU directives.

I have a Dyson hand held vacuum cleaner that has a failed battery. The battery includes a circuit that disables the whole thing and flashes a red light to show it has failed. It cannot be repaired even though the unit was functioning fine before. The battery is designed to be impossible to take apart so any attempt at repair will damage the plastic parts that snap together never to part. Batteries have a short life and need to be repairable and it is important that recycling occurs for the cells as they contain valuable elements, but are hazardous.

Repair is not the only problem. I want to upgrade the memory in my computer, but the particular chip in unobtainable because the design of memory is constantly changing - due to new technology. Speed increases, voltage changes, and the socket it plugs into changes.

One thing that could help would be for those domestic appliances that go for recycling are disassembled and the good parts offered for use to repair other examples of that model that need repairs.

This type of legislation is one of the brilliant aspects of the EU that brings sanity to everyday life. They did it with inefficient vacuum cleaners, and with mobile phone chargers. They did it with roaming charges. Let us hope they do not stop here.

Those "countdown to death" timers can sometimes be defeated by disconnecting one battery terminal for a few minutes then reconnecting it.
    Not really brexit related as it is mainly the multinationals that have pushed the planned obsolescence model, so the more countries that inhibit that the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UK to announce measures to ease NI protocol later today.

Brandon Lewis, the SoS, said in the commons they are doing this because of the EU's actions in January which were "unacceptable".

The EU gave them this space through absolute negligence and incompetence so we can't really complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

UK to announce measures to ease NI protocol later today.
    Are they your words, or cribbed from somewhere/someone else ... because they make no sense. The NI Protocol cannot be "eased" - it can be amended, or disrespected, or violated, but not "eased".
    The EU gave them this space through absolute negligence and incompetence so we can't really complain.
    What space? How can you accuse the EU of "absolute negligence and incompetence" when you haven't actually specified what this "eased" NI protocol will involved.

Are they your words, or cribbed from somewhere/someone else ... because they make no sense. The NI Protocol cannot be "eased" - it can be amended, or disrespected, or violated, but not "eased".

The effects can be eased by implementing some of the outstanding allowances (within the current protocol)?

It'll be interesting to see how this is spun as a Great Tory Idea To Benefit the British Consumer, as has been done to so many previous life-improving EU directives.

It may happen yet, but here's a Brexit victory out of leftfield, "he makes use of the UK's freedom outside of the EU".
    https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1367090179652136960

What space? How can you accuse the EU of "absolute negligence and incompetence" when you haven't actually specified what this "eased" NI protocol will involved.

It will be announced later today. Mr Lewis said in the commons it's as a result of that action in January.

Some measures will be eased in agrifood, specifically goods going to supermakets, and the charging regime.

The problem for us is that it's weakening single market protection even if temporary.

It leaves us more exposed to EU coastal states perhaps deciding that there is an unacceptable gap in the single market they might decide to fill on our behalf.

The moral ground was ceded and that's the be all and end all of it and we didn't even receive as much as a text message.

Gross incompetence and negligence to try make such a consequential action.

It can't be defended. Even the most europhile know they screwed up big time.

It may happen yet, but here's a Brexit victory out of leftfield, "he makes use of the UK's freedom outside of the EU".
    https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1367090179652136960

This has nothing to do with brexit, what a nonsense headline.

It will be announced later today. Mr Lewis said in the commons it's as a result of that action in January.

Some measures will be eased in agrifood, specifically goods going to supermakets, and the charging regime.

It'll be a unilateral decision, which is not going to work out very well for them in the long run. Are you still tying to use what the UK threatened more than once as a means of justification?

It'll be a unilateral decision, which is not going to work out very well for them in the long run.

Why not? We are the exposed ones.

We are the ones at risk of being excluded from the single market if there is a hole.

All it will take is France, Denmark or Spain to decide they now need checks between them and ROI.

I don't accept the UK is more exposed to these decisions than us.

• Advertisement

Are you still tying to use what the UK threatened more than once as a means of justification?

I think you're missing the point.

We had them on the back foot over that. They had nowhere to go. We had the moral high ground.

And with one action (all be it not carried through) that was all gone.

It can't be overstated what a politically disasterous move that was for us.

We are now in a situation where what do we say? How do we counter these moves? What can we do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The problem for us is that it's weakening single market protection even if temporary.

It leaves us more exposed to EU coastal states perhaps deciding that there is an unacceptable gap in the single market they might decide to fill on our behalf.

The moral ground was ceded and that's the be all and end all of it and we didn't even receive as much as a text message.

Gross incompetence and negligence to try make such a consequential action.

It can't be defended. Even the most europhile know they screwed up big time.

So to UK will enact article 16 of the NI Protocol and they will justify it by saying that because the EU thought about using article 16 they are now entitled to use it. Seems legit and in no way will come back to haunt the UK in any way, shape or form.

This is nothing more than the Tories and Brexiteers not having a freaking clue about Brexit and trying to fix their own stupidity. They have been given a sliver by the EU and will use this as justification for their own mistakes and incompetence. The worrying thing is, you are still believing this is all on the EU and not what is actually happening here.

They're treading invoking article 16 in all but name.

Interesting - April 2023 UK will up corporate tax to 25% (from 19%?).

Enzokk wrote: »
    They have been given a sliver by the EU and will use this as justification for their own mistakes and incompetence. The worrying thing is, you are still believing this is all on the EU and not what is actually happening here.

I never said it's all on the EU.

I'm saying they undermined the whole position. That this was about the peace process and all that stuff. That was the narrative throughout.

Prior to that everything was in our favor. Like I say the Tories had no where to go.

Now they have been provided with some justification and why wouldn't they use it?

They are using it now.

My worry is that if they wanted to they could go a lot further.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Interesting - April 2023 UK will up corporate tax to 25% (from 19%?).
    is that definite or currently just speculation?

Definitive
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1367098386386735104

25% is - I am not 100% what the old rate was (this is tax on profits)

This has nothing to do with brexit, what a nonsense headline.
    It does somewhat afaik.
    Payment limits without authentication is defined by the European Banking Agency as €50.

Payments above that require stronger authentication.

• Advertisement

It's a Brexit bonus for muggers and pick pockets anyway.

Advertisement