Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge Plug on Fire!

Options
  • 25-02-2021 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Having defrosted it yesterday and giving it a good wipe- out this evening, a few minutes after turning on the switch on the wall socket, the plug on the under-counter fridge went on fire! Only a tiny one mind you but even so. Never had this happen before.

Luckily was in the scullery at the time and was alerted by a strange buzzing noise from the fridge and strange smell. It was then I noticed the plug. It's in a corner so a bit dusty in there!

What could have caused this? Obviously I will be replacing the fridge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Either a loose wire in the plugtop, and/or water in it.

Nothing wrong with the fridge, cut off the plug and about 6" of cable and put a new plug on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Thanks W for your quick response.

The socket on wall is about 4'' away from side of fridge, so no moisture would have gotten in there. Never remove plug as always use the switch to turn on and off.

Just checked plug and it appears to be one of those more 'reinforced' white ones that usually come with appliances.

Take your point about the plug, however, fridge is about 15 years old at this point, hence the idea of replacing it.

I'd hate if this ever happened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thanks W for your quick response.

The socket on wall is about 4'' away from side of fridge, so no moisture would have gotten in there. Never remove plug as always use the switch to turn on and off.

Just checked plug and it appears to be one of those more 'reinforced' white ones that usually come with appliances.

Take your point about the plug, however, fridge is about 15 years old at this point, hence the idea of replacing it.

I'd hate if this ever happened again.
    Is it plugged in beside any other appliance.

mickdw wrote: »
    Is it plugged in beside any other appliance.

No.

sugarman wrote: »
    Thats a fairly big assumption without even seeing it. I wouldn't be second guessing something that has the potential to be so lethal.

It could be the socket itself.

Did it at all trip, OP?

No tripping and all other sockets appear to be working normally. Obviously had to act quickly but fairly sure it was the plug or at least appeared to be. Never happened before and gave me one hell of a fright! I'll have a better look tomorrow but oddly enough plug appears to look OK.

• Advertisement

Actually, thinking back now I'm not sure at what setting I had fridge on when I switched it on again. Perhaps it was a bit high as normally I start at a low one, 2/3 and after a while move it up to about a 5/6 a while later. Was alerted by the strange loud buzzing noise emitted by fridge itself!

Wondering if plug just over-heated and dust/cobwebs etc (!!) were ignited in process?
    That area was my next cleaning job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

The (thermostat) setting has nothing to do with the fridge electrical power, it just switches it on/off at lower/higher temps, depending on settings. I wouldn't throw away the fridge just yet, replace the plug top with the same size fuse, probably 13A but 5A would probably do based on my own fridge requirements, if the fridge compressor is seized then it should fairly quickly blow the fuse.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

John G...Come to think of it the fridge was rather noisy beforehand which was what drew my attention to it. At first I turned it down a bit and then went to turn it off, noticing the yellow flame.

I will try that as soon as I locate a fuse and let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Chomper.

When you have overheating or a fire at a connection, fuse , socket etc

You have to inspect outside of the item that overheats , that can be cables, sockets etc.

So for instance here you might need to change the plug and socket and check for underlying faults if there is any(usually an overload , if it's not a connection issue )

This is the thing-that plug and socket have been in use for years and years now! The only time I turn it off (never removing plug at any point) is when I defrost every so often.

Not had an issue ever, until now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If this happened after it was defrosted, would it not point to the appliance potentially drawing too much power for the conductors in the plug.
    I would wager that strands were broken inside the plug, especially if it has an appropriate size fuse.

Impossible to diagnose without looking inside it.

If this happened after it was defrosted, would it not point to the appliance potentially drawing too much power for the conductors in the plug.
    I would wager that strands were broken inside the plug, especially if it has an appropriate size fuse.

Impossible to diagnose without looking inside it.

Thanks. So what would cause this to happen then?

Just plug a kettle into the socket, if no problems, renew the fridge lead plug top and plug it in. no point in overthinking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,835 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'd be dumping that fridge and as was stated earlier checking the socket with the kettle.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'd be dumping that fridgtle e and as was stated earlier checking the socket with the kettle.

Yes will do. Kettle idea occurred to me as well. Given fridge is an older one will be buying another this week. Luckily it's just an overload one so OK to wait.

Thanks again everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Fridge motors stall all the time, there is usually a cut-out / relay on the motor to disconnect the start winding if it doesn't start.

The buzzing you heard is the motor stalled, there should have been a click after a couple of seconds as the cutout disconnected the power.

Can think of several options:
    • Cut-out failed closed and / or
    • Bad wiring / burnt contacts in plug
    • wrong / bypassed fuse in plug

You can also end up with a permanent stall if you get oil in the pump capilliary by tipping the fridge over. If you defrosted with hot water there could be high pressure causing a stall.

As other have said no way of knowing without seeing it. If its an old fridge a new fridge will pay for itself in a few years.

Defrosting with a hair dryer often causes a stall or two/resets after restart.

I am pretty sure that one time I turned the temperature control to 0 which switches off the light and presumably the power to the fridge, that the compressor stated up while defrosting, I just leave the temp control control where it is and just unplug now. I have a fridge freezer with one motor and one temperature control in the fridge unit, works very well but I defrost every 4 or 5 weeks, takes only ~ 15 mins or so. I also have a small upright freezer that I defrost every 10/12 weeks.

John.G wrote: »
    Defrosting with a hair dryer often causes a stall or two/resets after restart.

I am pretty sure that one time I turned the temperature control to 0 which switches off the light and presumably the power to the fridge, that the compressor stated up while defrosting, I just leave the temp control control where it is and just unplug now. I have a fridge freezer with one motor and one temperature control in the fridge unit, works very well but I defrost every 4 or 5 weeks, takes only ~ 15 mins or so. I also have a small upright freezer that I defrost every 10/12 weeks.

You're very organised, mine are left until the doors won't close:D

Yes, came from my 4 or 5 years defrosting the coils on refrigerated ships.

John.G wrote: »
    Yes, came from my 4 or 5 years defrosting the coils on refrigerated ships.

Cool job eh!!
    Sorry I couldn't resist...

• Advertisement
Advertisement