Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good easy to use microwave for elderly person

• 28-02-2021 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have elderly relatives who need a replacement microwave. Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,
    R

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any microwave with a manual timer is good.

Make sure the dial is easy to line up with the numbers as some of them aren’t. (Some have cylindrical knobs with a line on the side as opposed to a traditional flat dial)

Bigger is better, no messing with plates getting stuck on the inside of the oven.

Don’t bother with built in grills etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree about the built in grills, bit of a liability. Any microwave is easy once you get used to it, ie figure out the easiest way to use it. Mine has two complicated settings for defrosting, I only ever use one and then just make a guess at the weight/time. I prefer one that gives simple timing rather than all that nonsense with pictures of chickens and other stuff you can't identify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I had a Dimplex microwave that had a fantastically easy interface. A rotary time knob being the main control. Rotate the knob to set the time and push it in to start. Just push it without rotating and it quickstarts for 60 sec.

It was something like this: https://euronics.ie/product/dimplex-23l-white-microwave-980537/

Best microwave user interface I have ever encountered. A child or someone blind as a bat could use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you search for "simple microwave for elderly" on Amazon you get a few sensible results.

Something like this is what I'd go for https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-YC-MS01U-S-20L-800W-Microwave/dp/B08DY8H7QH/ .

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

I happened to be in Aldi last evening and see they had simple to operate m/waves there for 49 euro, couldnt go too far wrong at that price

• Advertisement

I happened to be in Aldi last evening and see they had simple to operate m/waves there for 49 euro, couldnt go too far wrong at that price

Probably had a 3 year guarantee with.

I have a really cheap Panasonic at the moment, for various reasons, and the amount of condensation inside you get is terrible. So you have to do a lot of wiping out. I think a cheap microwave is a false economy.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have a really cheap Panasonic at the moment, for various reasons, and the amount of condensation inside you get is terrible. So you have to do a lot of wiping out. I think a cheap microwave is a false economy.

Don't you cover what you are microwaving? We have a variety of covers and they always have some condensation on them but never in the machine itself.

Yes, but not tight otherwise bang. Still get massive condensation. I mean it can be dripping wet. They skimped on ventilation and a fan methinks. I bought it for my son when he went to college because there was no microwave in the campus student accommodation. Lugged it up to the appartment to find there was a brand new microwave - grrrr.

So when the good microwave died, I had a new microwave in a box and couldn't bring myself to buy a better one as I have plans to move at some point.

Advertisement