Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Godzilla vs. Kong [2021]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Slydice wrote: »
    That does kinda look like a
    non-Kong non-Godzilla tail in one scene there that Godzilla is staring at and I think Godzilla is standing over..
    I think thats Kongs Axe which is made from one of Godzillas fins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭jones

Am i the only one who liked Edwards version of Godzilla? I loved that he keep Godzilla to the background for most of the movie as some said earlier having CGI monsters punching each other for 2 hours does not make good entertainment. Thought Godzilla 2014 was brilliant apart from the lead character who was so wooden but it didn't really matter no one was there to see him.

Not really a spoiler but just incase
    I remember the scene in the airport in the cinema when Godzilla's foot drops filling the whole screen the audience actually gasped (i don't think i've witnessed that before ha)

New trailer for this which gives away a bit too much at the end, big spoiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

New trailer for this which gives away a bit too much at the end, big spoiler.

Thanks for the warning. I noticed a hell of a lot more mini-trailers on YouTube the past few days, so I think I'll bow out now from watching any more until I see it.

I think I will avoid future trailers and tv spots too,my appetite is whet.
    The running time is said to be 113 minutes and the aircraft carrier battle scene, is said to be 18 minutes long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

ok, will avoid HT :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Where would i be able to watch this (legally of course) when it comes out? Cinema's closed and from what i can see its streaming from hbo in US only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's not getting a cinema release and going straight to Sky Cinema & NowTV available from April 1st.

I'd expect all HBO Max films to follow suit now till the cinema's are fully opened again since The Justice League is going the same route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's not getting a cinema release and going straight to Sky Cinema & NowTV available from April 1st.

I'd expect all HBO Max films to follow suit now till the cinema's are fully opened again since The Justice League is going the same route.

That's a shame. I mean, I don't want cinemas to open prematurely. But seeing GvK on the small screen seems wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

It's a pay release via sky store, Google etc. Price of rental around 17 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Booooooooooooo. Man if ever a film was made for the big screen, this is it. Agreed tho, think every WB release this year is gonna go the same route. I’m praying to the movie gods that Dune gets a theatrical release. Surely we’ll have the option to be vaccinated by then, and cinemas open.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wonder what metrics of success exist for this, before CoVid? King of the Monsters seemed to have only just made 2x the budget, generally thought to be breaking even in Hollywood these days. So conventionally underwhelming, presume then Kong v Godzilla can't have very high projections...

I’d guess they would have seen KoftM as a blip, and hoped this would have matched the box office performance of Godzilla and Skull island. The third fast and furious film underwhelmed at the box office and came roaring back after it. Maybe WB thought this one would be the one to solidify the franchise. Who knows.., but I’d say anything less than 500 would have been seen as a disappointment.

The first reactions are in and they seem overwhelmingly positive.
    The special effects and CGI are excellent it seems and you can see whats going on unlike previous Monsterverse films.
    The humans seem to be the weak point yet again.

Puny humans.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wonder what metrics of success exist for this, before CoVid? King of the Monsters seemed to have only just made 2x the budget, generally thought to be breaking even in Hollywood these days. So conventionally underwhelming, presume then Kong v Godzilla can't have very high projections...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/godzilla-vs-kong-china-box-office-headed-for-strong-opening-weekend.html
    “Godzilla vs. Kong” is headed for a monster opening weekend at the Chinese box office, which is welcome news for an industry battered by the Coronavirus pandemic.

According to early estimates, the flick, which pits two of cinemas most iconic monsters against each other, has already secured around $21.5 million during its opening day in the country.

The sequel is currently pacing just ahead of its predecessor “Godzilla: King of the Monsters,” which earned around $18 million in 2019 during its first day in theaters in China. It ultimately garnered $66.7 million for the full weekend.

Based on a combination of ticket sales, advanced bookings and social media interest, Maoyan has forecast that “Godzilla vs. Kong” will achieve a lifetime total of RMB1.08 billion or $166 million in China.

More significantly, that score would make “Godzilla vs. Kong” by far the top grossing Hollywood film in China since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic.

Early days but it seems to be a promising start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

When is this available in Ireland? I thought it would be on iTunes etc yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭titan18

SK1979 wrote: »
    When is this available in Ireland? I thought it would be on iTunes etc yesterday?

April 1st I think

So I'm wondering should I give Skull Island & King of the Monsters a rewatch or is there really a need will this just end up be just a standalone with no real continuation with the first two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Watch skull island again coz it's great :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So I'm wondering should I give Skull Island & King of the Monsters a rewatch or is there really a need will this just end up be just a standalone with no real continuation with the first two.

Skull Island is the better movie, though I think King of the Monsters might set up some of the status quo this new film jumps off from.

Is the godzilla staring bryan cranston from about 10 years ago part of this as well?

Is the godzilla staring bryan cranston from about 10 years ago part of this as well?

Same monster / series.

I'd forgotten about that film.

So its....Godzilla then it's Kong: Skull Island then it's Godzilla: King of the Monsters then this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Technically Skull Island before Godzilla.

Looking forward to this whenever we actually get a chance to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭jones

Thought it would be on Sky but nothing yet

Its doing good number , Godzilla vs Kong Earns $122M at Global Box Office, $70M From China Alone

https://twitter.com/GodzillaVsKong/status/1376637735029497860

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Does what it says on the tin.
    Big monsters fighting. There is some plot.
    But it's weird seeing a Godzilla film in this series where you can see everything clearly. No clouds and not just a foot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

^ what he said. Great monster bash, our kids really enjoyed it. So did I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Gonna be unpopular & say I prefer the Peter Jackson version (remake) of Kong. Skull Island is great, but could have been part of the universe rather than reboot.

• Advertisement

Hmm, not sure what to make of that.

The plot is ludicrous, the technology in the film wouldn't look amiss in Star Trek or Bladerunner 2049.
    The laws of physics dont seem to apply in alot of scenarios.

The cgi is ropey, alot of it looked more like a computer game than a film, Pacific Rim looked alot more convincing.

Millie Bobby Brown, not sure why she is in the film, her character was extremely irritating and superfluous.

The handful of epic scenes are diluted by really lazy writing.
    It looks like a fair bit of the film was left on the cutting room floor.

I liked the portrayal of Kong though and the fight scenes were well done but overall I thought it would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Thought it was bleedin awful TBH.......even for what it was.
    No weight to the proceedings, two dimensional human characters, ludicrous plot and execution, eye rolling contrivances etc etc......while the original reboot had some scenes of merit, and even Skull Island, this effort just amplifies the weaknesses of those efforts and the risible King of the Monsters.
    Even for a simple, check the brain at the door, couple of hours it wore out it's welcome surprisingly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Is it necessary to see King of the Monsters in order to follow the plot of this one? I had avoided it up till now because I'd heard it was quite poor, but have seen the other two before that (Skull Island and Godzilla '14).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Is it necessary to see King of the Monsters in order to follow the plot of this one? I had avoided it up till now because I'd heard it was quite poor, but have seen the other two before that (Skull Island and Godzilla '14).

Reading reviews this morning, seems like this one is worse again.

No, its not necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

Its fine, as said above it does exactly what it says on the tin.

leave the brain at the door and enjoying a filmsy plot and two of cinemas biggest monster smash each up

grand for a midweek movie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ThePott

I was not a big fan of the Monsterverse but for me this was the best of the bunch.
    It delivers what it promises with a name like Godzilla vs Kong, you're not going into this looking for any depth. That being said I thought the humans were a lot better utilised here than before and the plot did just enough to keep my interest. It's all about the clash of the titans though and it lived up to it's promise in that regard for me. Thought the effects were great and was happy to see the monsters in daylight for a change. I had fun with it overall.

Went into some more detail for a video review if anyone cares to check it out all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi guys
    I'm trying to rent this film from Amazon Prime on my fire stick but I can't find it in the prime app. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I rented it there on Google Film (pricey but not like there's much to be spending on these days).

Preamble is that I've liked these films in that they're clearly trying to be ludicrous as possible given the content, so I'm able to laugh/enjoy them for what they are.

This film was much the same; some interesting stuff and the humans do what they have to do to keep the film ticking along, even if they are less than compelling. There's not much further to say. If you've liked the previous films I think you'll enjoy this.

I think a film focused on the hollow earth, if they can get the human aspect right, would be pretty fascinating. Would be a nice change from the destruction of cities that I think has lost all meaning at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this film is nuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The perfect mindless Covid antidote.. hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,684 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

79% /95% audience , good enough for me

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/godzilla_vs_kong

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Didn't care about the human stuff at all just the lads busting the head off each other....I could of watched 4 hours of a big gorilla and atomic breathe lizard bating seven shades outta each other

Wish I could have seen it in the cinema. Would probably have enjoyed it more.

As it is, it's alright. I will say it either needed to be longer in order to have more with the human characters or to have completely cut the Godzilla related characters as there were completely pointless. Kyle Chandler might as well have not been in the film, and could have easily cut Brown, Henry and Dennison with no real impact. Most of the human stuff was on Skarsgard, Hall and the child, and with a small bit needed for Gonzales and her dad.

titan18 wrote: »
    Wish I could have seen it in the cinema. Would probably have enjoyed it more.

As it is, it's alright. I will say it either needed to be longer in order to have more with the human characters or to have completely cut the Godzilla related characters as there were completely pointless. Kyle Chandler might as well have not been in the film, and could have easily cut Brown, Henry and Dennison with no real impact. Most of the human stuff was on Skarsgard, Hall and the child, and with a small bit needed for Gonzales and her dad.

Yes, there was very little need for Brown, Henry and Dennison.
    I guess they were added for comedy effect but they weren't in the least bit funny.

Skarsgard, Hall and the child played their roles very well.

The film definitely needed an extra 15 minutes to flesh out some of the motives, I suspect the original running time was longer, certain characters scenes were visibly cut.

Adam Wingard the director said that “There’s certainly enough footage to make a five-hour version of this film, I’m sure,” “But making a longer film is easier than making a shorter film in a lot of ways. For me, this is the version that worked the best, and I don’t see any reason to do a director’s cut.
    “We did shoot more and there were other parts of the plot that we cut out,” he recalls. “There were other actors and stuff. I mean, Lance Reddick is top billed in the film, because he used to be in the movie more, but his role is very small because we tweaked a couple of plot points.”

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/godzilla-vs-kong-director-adam-wingard-five-hour-cut/

• Advertisement

Hi guys
    I'm trying to rent this film from Amazon Prime on my fire stick but I can't find it in the prime app. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Chief, think yourself lucky. It's not worth it.

That could have easily been the worst film I've seen in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Watched it last night, Went to bed.Woke up.Saw an add for it this morning and forgot i watched it the previous night.
    Says it all really.
    A decent friday night flick but totally forgettable.
    The only major gripe i'd have is the fact the best bits in the film were in the trailer

Ya, I could definitely see more of the film. You could feasibly have had a two part film there. Godzilla Vs Kong and plots around that and building up to Mechagodzilla destroying lots of stuff in the 2nd film and Kong and Godzilla having to team up then for a big fight.

Maybe something like 2/3 Godzilla vs Kong fights in the first film (one of those in Hollow Earth) and Kong loses and has to stay in Hollow Earth to heal and Godzilla goes back to the main world to keep on attacking Apex. Build up Mechagodzilla in the background with 3 investigating that. Then in the 2nd part, you can have Mechagodzilla appear, kick Godzilla's ass and Godzilla flees to Hollow Earth and then him and Kong team up for a final battle against Mechagodzilla in a Hollow Earth to normal earth showdown. Could even get to introduce more Hollow Earth monsters that way too.

That could have easily been the worst film I've seen in years.

Harsh, I've seen loads much worse in the last few months alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement