Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Passport

• 28-02-2021 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to find information on getting a British Passport (for a chance at a second IEC visa for Canada, I'm currently on my first IEC visa through my Irish passport).

My mother was born in Newry in the late 50's, and moved to Dublin at a young age. She has never held a British Passport; only an Irish one. I have looked at the uk gov website for my situation but it's not exactly clear and I was just wondering if anyone knows the process.

I'm assuming she has to apply for a passport first and then I can apply from her having that passport? I'd just like to know before we start applying for stuff and wasting money etc if it's a no go.

Any info be great,

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

If you were born in the UK before 1983 then you're British.

You were born abroad to a British citizen. It shouldn't be a problem. I'd guess you could apply without her needing a UK passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I don't think you need your mother to have a passport. You would need her birth cert. My daughter did something similar and I'm pretty sure she just needed her dad's birth cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

yenom wrote: »
    If you were born in the UK before 1983 then you're British.

You were born abroad to a British citizen. It shouldn't be a problem. I'd guess you could apply without her needing a UK passport.

Thanks for that. I was born in Dublin in 1992. But I'm assuming she's considered a British citizen regardless of her never having a British passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

She was born in the UK, so a British subject. Birth cert is the critical document

I would caution about funny games with using second passports for visa's, very likely the Canadian's will spot this or will at least ask or have a condition which could get you in a world of trouble later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You may be eligible for British citizenship if you have a British parent.

It depends on where and when you were born, and your parents’ circumstances.

Apply for citizenship if you have a British parent

• Advertisement
Advertisement