Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 Week family "Trip of a Lifetime" suggestions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭traco

We did LA - San Fran then onto Yosemite where we camped. From there out to Bodie via Death Valley and down to Vegas. Back to LA for a few days and then down to San Diego for a few days. Back to LAX and out. Yosemite is fantastic - loved it and I stopped taking pics as its pointless, better to just take it all in.

Did it with my two and Bro in Law and his kid. They were around your ages. They still talk about it as one of the best holidays ever. We stayed loads of places with things to do for the kids and lots of great food and drink for the adults. They keep wanting to repeat it but I think teh second time around it would not be the same so better to leave the memories intact. If considering Yosemite and camping or RV my advice is to get organises. It makes EP and Glastonbury tickets look simple. Pitches sell in blocks months in advance and will be booked in minutes. They are dirt cheap so amercians book them and doesn't matter if you they aren't used. This means you can rock up to the gate and you will probably get something but its nice not to have the worry.

Not sure what it cost to be fair but probably 8k??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Kerry25x wrote: »
    South Africa for sure! We rented a car and roadtripped from Cape Town to Johannesburg a few years back. So much to do and see there! Incredible scenery and beaches, amazing food and its unreal value too. Penguins on the beach, cage diving with great whites and crocodiles, self drive safaris and driving alongside lions and giraffes. We passed herds of zebras grazing peacefully while out hiking and we saw hippos wander in to town at night. Plenty of adventure sports like bungee jumping, paragliding, hot air balloning, rhino trekking etc. The route we took avoided all malaria areas too so we never had to take tablets. Definitely a trip I want to do back and do again when I have children!

Can you give an idea of how long you went for, itinerary, what vehicle you hired, camping style etc if you get a chance!

Would that route have taken in any of the National Parks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Can you give an idea of how long you went for, itinerary, what vehicle you hired, camping style etc if you get a chance!

We went for 2 weeks and managed to fit a lot in in that time but we could have stayed for so much longer! We also stopped off in the Seychelles for 2 days on the way home because we had to change flights there anyway.

We were a bit broke at the time so we rented the cheapest cars that would fit all our luggage in the boot (because you don't want to leave any visible belonging in the car in South Africa)! We rented 2 cars because we flew a portion of the journey due to time restrictions. I think they were small volvos or something similar and we took them in to national parks and drove it alongside elephants and rhinos etc! We didn't do any camping but I would if we went back again, we stayed in small hotels and guesthouses, didn't pay more than 20-30 a night and everywhere we stayed was nice and had a pool.

The national parks we went to were Addo National Park and Hluhluwe Game Reserve. We also went to a couple smaller private game parks too. We did 2 guided safari drives and they were great, I think we saw things on the guided ones that we wouldn't have found by ourselves like lions and a leopard but I still preferred the self drives we did just for the excitement of being on our own out there and finding our own animals! We did plenty of hanging out the car windows getting selfie's with nearby animals!

I'll have a look through my email soon and see if I can find our exact itinerary for you!

Kerry25x wrote: »
    We went for 2 weeks and managed to fit a lot in in that time but we could have stayed for so much longer! We also stopped off in the Seychelles for 2 days on the way home because we had to change flights there anyway.

We were a bit broke at the time so we rented the cheapest cars that would fit all our luggage in the boot (because you don't want to leave any visible belonging in the car in South Africa)! We rented 2 cars because we flew a portion of the journey due to time restrictions. I think they were small volvos or something similar and we took them in to national parks and drove it alongside elephants and rhinos etc! We didn't do any camping but I would if we went back again, we stayed in small hotels and guesthouses, didn't pay more than 20-30 a night and everywhere we stayed was nice and had a pool.

The national parks we went to were Addo National Park and Hluhluwe Game Reserve. We also went to a couple smaller private game parks too. We did 2 guided safari drives and they were great, I think we saw things on the guided ones that we wouldn't have found by ourselves like lions and a leopard but I still preferred the self drives we did just for the excitement of being on our own out there and finding our own animals! We did plenty of hanging out the car windows getting selfie's with nearby animals!

I'll have a look through my email soon and see if I can find our exact itinerary for you!

Thank you for the great information! After I read your previous post i did some Google Mapping and set a path from CapeTown-Gansbaii (Great White Cage Dive)-Port Elizabet-Durban (all along the coast) before realising that we'd probably want to be going through the interior to get some animals?

Looks very exciting and another option for us.

Dug up the full itinerary for you. We didn't stick strictly to this everyday once we got there but its the route we took anyway! This really makes me want to go back for a longer more leisurely trip!

1st Jan: Cape Town
    Arrive 1pm, pick up car, check in to hotel and check out the Waterfront/beaches.

2nd Jan: Cape Town
    Up early to hike up Lions Head and then paragliding over Cape Town at 12:30. Drive down to Boulders Beach to see penguins after and take a walk around Cape of Good Hope.

3rd Jan: Cape Town - Gansbaai ðŸ§
    Half day in Cape Town. Drive to Gansbaai around 2pm (3 hour drive), stop in Hermanus for food and a walk around on the way.

4th Jan: Gansbaii
    Up early for cage shark dive. Drive to Oudtshoorn after (4 hour drive).

5th Jan: Oudtshoorn - Knysna
    Ostridge Farm. Cango Wildlife Park for Croc dive & Lemur Encounter. Maybe Bufflesdrift Lodge for Elephant Hug. Drive to Knysna in evening. (1.5 hours). Walk up to Knysna Heads if we have time.

6th Jan: Knysna - Jeffery's BayðŸ‚
    Sand boarding in Knysna in morning 8am-11am. Drive to Tsitsikamma National Park (1hour 15 minutes), 1km hike to suspension bridge. Drive to Jeffery's Bay (1 hour), stopping for worlds 4th highest bungy jump on the way.

7th Jan: Jeffery's Bay to Addo
    Drive 1.5 hours to Addo Safari Game Reserve and spend full day on self drive Safari. Drive to Port Elizabeth for night (40 min drive).

8th Jan: Port Elizabeth to St Lucia 🚗✈
    12:30pm flight to Durban arrive 1:30pm, pick up new car here and drive along the Dolphin Coast to Hluhlwe, 3 hour drive. Arrive around 6pm

9th Jan: Hluhlwe
    Guided safari in Hluhlwe National Park.

10th Jan: Hluhlwe
    Self drive safari in Hluhlwe National Park in the morning. Boat cruise in iSimangaliso Wetland Park in the evening. Staying in St Lucia that night.

11th Jan: Swaziland
    Drive 4 hours to Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary.

12th Jan: Swaziland
    Stay second day in Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary.

13th Jan: Johannesburg
    Drive to Johannesburg. (4.5 hours)

14th Jan: Fly to Seychelles at 14:00.

15th Jan: Seychelles
    Beach day

16th Jan: Seychelles
    Beach day, flight home at 20:00

Thank you for the great information! After I read your previous post i did some Google Mapping and set a path from CapeTown-Gansbaii (Great White Cage Dive)-Port Elizabet-Durban (all along the coast) before realising that we'd probably want to be going through the interior to get some animals?

Looks very exciting and another option for us.

Thats pretty much the way we went! Although we flew from Port Elizabeth to Durban. We went in January which isn't supposed to be great for animal spotting but we saw everything, all the big 5!

We also cut through Swaziland (since renamed Eswatini) which I highly recommend, the place we stayed was called Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, its a sanctuary with no predators other than hippos and crocodiles so you're safe to hike around on foot once you avoid the water! We met plenty of zebras and warthogs on our hikes there, even had them grazing behind us while we hung out in the pool! The restaurant here is overlooking the water so you can see hippos while you're eating and maybe crocodiles too (although we never saw the crocs).

Also, if you stay in St Lucia on the east coast you're very close to the wetlands and hippos actually wander in to the town at night which is a bit scary (we saw them from the safety of our car) but also very cool to see such a big scary animal walking down the main street!

Really there's amazing animal experiences all over, you can't go wrong! Attached a photo from our trip taken in Addo National Park, this was our first self drive safari and was incredible! I can't remember exactly what we paid for the permit to drive in to the park but I know it was really cheap, maybe around €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Incredible pic kerry25x thanks for sharing. What are those small animals to the left of the elephants?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Incredible pic kerry25x thanks for sharing. What are those small animals to the left of the elephants?

Thank you! They're warthogs (Pumbaa from The Lion King).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

How did you travel? Where in you in a car or rv?
    traco wrote: »
    We did LA - San Fran then onto Yosemite where we camped. From there out to Bodie via Death Valley and down to Vegas. Back to LA for a few days and then down to San Diego for a few days. Back to LAX and out. Yosemite is fantastic - loved it and I stopped taking pics as its pointless, better to just take it all in.

Did it with my two and Bro in Law and his kid. They were around your ages. They still talk about it as one of the best holidays ever. We stayed loads of places with things to do for the kids and lots of great food and drink for the adults. They keep wanting to repeat it but I think teh second time around it would not be the same so better to leave the memories intact. If considering Yosemite and camping or RV my advice is to get organises. It makes EP and Glastonbury tickets look simple. Pitches sell in blocks months in advance and will be booked in minutes. They are dirt cheap so amercians book them and doesn't matter if you they aren't used. This means you can rock up to the gate and you will probably get something but its nice not to have the worry.

Not sure what it cost to be fair but probably 8k??

• Advertisement

Thanks Kerry, very informative and a lot of great options there!

Had a look at the croc dive, think I would give that a miss as it doesn't seem like much. Did a Great White dive in Australia so would definitely do that again in South Africa (heard they're more aggressive in SA).

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭foxsake

Just to bump this thread with an update - enjoyed this thread during lockdown and took some of the advice on board and said we're doing that.

Planning it got ride of the boredom of covid restrictions and gave us something to look forward too.

so thanks to the OP @saggycaggy for starting the thread.

We went to Namibia and South Africa (Cape Town only) for about 6-7 weeks in June / July.

Family of 3 (3 kids Ages : 19 to 8)

We stayed in Windhoek (capital of Namibia) a few days and then hired a 4x4 (Toyota Hilux)to self drive Namibia - which we did! drove over 5000km .

Hilux had 2 tents on the roof which we used every night in campsites on the way.

For the most part the campsite are cheap and well run (unless I bitch about it below) with showers , washing and a bbq. They also will sell basic and firewood. the bigger ones will have other services such as vehicle repair.

Initially my wife was skeptical having never been to Africa before - id' been to south africa only.

Namibia is an ex-German colony (south west Africa to be precise) so there is much German and English influence and english is very widely spoken.

Namibia is really safe , people are very decent and we were only hassled once (see below). none of the racial vibes exist that so in South Africa.

We went in June & July which was winter there but most days were mid 20s. Some days went up to 32degress and a few times down to 15. Just to note due to its position on the globe Namibia has sun kinda only 0700 to 1900 all year. Sunsets are weird to see (for Irish people) the sun goes down so fast literally drops. They have a big cultural thing about "sundowners" basically drinking watching the sun go down.

Overall it cost about 15,000 euro but a repeat journey wouldn't be as much cos

• we have some of the gear now - this was a 1st time
    • More experience means you know what is needed and what isn't.
    • In hindsight I blew money on sh1te we didn't need
    • Also once off expenses popped up like a cat flap for our house cost 550 (which I never want to pay for again)
    • Also probably not go to a 2nd destination like south Africa which we did this time

Covid

We went as Covid was kinda over - none of us took the vaxx but had no hassle with recovery and PCR tests . In fact they didn't know what a recovery cert was - i had to explain and they went "ah...." during our stay in Namibia South Africa scrapped all requirements so we didn't need anything to go there either

There were no mask mandates in namibia either and apart from the odd advertisement generally nothing covid.

The journey went as follows:

Day 1 Dublin- Frankfurt

nothing to see here. usual flight . Dublin well ...you know yourself...told to be 3.5h early , desk opens 2h before flight :( 6hour layover. Frankfurt is such a **** airport . overnight flight to Windhoek . Frankfurt to Windhoek is an 10h flight.

Day 2-5 Windhoek

Landed in the morning in Windhoek International .

Nice but tiny airport . All good. Namibian officials love paperwork and bureaucracy but they are all grand to deal with. recommend you buy a sim card at airport they for nothing and you'll need it.

I had booked the jeep for a few days later - no need for one in windhoek and that fella arranged an airport transfer for us to our apartment.

I booked 4 nights in an apt on booking.com and it was lovely and central. Big main street called Independence.

Windhoek is small (600k population) but plenty of rich history esp stuff around the mid 20th century and the war between south africa and angola. they love Robert Mugabe too , a great friend to Namibia Also a big street named after our own Sean McBride.

The main township area in Windhoek is called KATUTURA which means "the place people don't want to live" - you can arrange a tour of the area with local drivers. I would high recommend , people there were very nice and friendly and it's a bit "far out" so a wonderful and kinda sobering experience. But you'd need a local driver , don't wander up and say "story lads?" on your tod. We went to the Tourist Info and they rang a guy - he isn't their employee but I figured you only live once , and turns out he was a dead one fella - even brought us to his house in katutura.

Windhoek has a load of restaurants ,bars and coffee shops that are at a very high standard. It has a decent middle class that seem to eat out a lot.

There are nightclubs but with the kids meant I didn't partake.

If you want supermarkets there are a large variety - I'd recommend FOOD LOVERS MARKET - its the best supermarket I've been in EVER . It's a chain and we found them in South Africa also. Shout out the SPAR - which over there is a full on supermarket not the eurospars of Ireland but as good as Tesco /Dunnes.

Also plenty of taxis to drive you about which are cheap.

6 Windhoek - Keetmanshoop

Met the dude with the jeep - picked up at our apt and driven to his house - did the paper work and was on our way.

cost about 2300 for the 21 days in the jeep all included. I liked this guy there was no messing or extra. one price . all in.

Was mad - neither of us driven a 4x4 before and we handed the keys and told "see ya" and sent off to drive a place we'd never been.

First shop was 500km away in Keetmanshoop. This was our first time driving and within 10 mins we were in rural Namibia and it was great craic.

Took about 6hours drive but we really enjoyed it and the Hilux was great to drive - stopped for many photos on the way. I wanted a drink and let my wife drive (big mistake) . she loved it so much she wanted to drive all time...which was a turnaround cos she was wary and didn't want to drive before the hols.

Lovely and sunny just watching the landscape . The road is very road here and plenty of petrol stations.

We were staying in a place called Quiver Tree Forest Campsite - gets great reviews online and on blogs but was somewhat meh.

https://quivertreeforest.com/

Wasn't great but not shite. But they had cheetahs there which was cool

first time camping and in rural africa was a bit daunting but fun esp the wild blew all night and our first time sleep on the roof of the jeep.

7 Keetmanshoop Fish River Canyon

We went to stock up in Keetmanshoop - just a basic town looks nice. Went to the Spar there and loaded up. met some locals.

Then set off further south to fish river canyon . Fish River Canyon has hot water springs and also the 2nd largest canyon in the world (after grand canyon) . Takes 5 days to hike through the canyon and when you finish you ring a bell as Ai Ais (where we were going) and everybody at the bar cheers. But wasn't doing that with the kids so it's for another day.

Drive was nice , lovely sun again and this was a new experience. Took photos and were generally in awe of the most basic stuff.

the Ai Ais resort was quite nice , gives the impression it used to be fab but some parts run down but in their defence - they rely on tourism and covid ruined that for 2 years. We camped and it was busy enough with plenty up from South Africa.

http://www.aiaisresort.com/ai-ais-resort.html

The hot water is great fun and the canyon kinda traps the air and it's quite warm and v still.

We walked into the canyon to look about but didn't go too far.

8 Fish River Canyon Helmeringhausen

We left Ai Ais after one night and drove north then to Hemminghaus. Helmeringhausen is on all the maps but it's pretty much a junction with a few house and 2 hotels (that look ****) . On the way we stopped at a farm for coffee and apple strudel . Met the farmer called wally and his wife who joined us - really friendly people and we ate loads and ended up staying about 2 hours. He had crocodiles in his garden which was pretty cool and not something expected. This was our first experience of long driving on gravel (un tarred) this is where you say - "Thank fcuk I've the Hilux".

All tourism sites and blogs say you don't NEED a 4x4 to travel Namibia. You do. Unless you are staying on the main routes and towns . You do..no ifs or buts. Not necessaryily the 4 wheel aspect but the jeep . we didn't use the 4 wheel drive that often but you'd have issues doing this in a Toyota Corolla.

We were staying beyond Helmeringhausen in a place called Mount Durban which was a lovely campsite run by a farming family.

https://www.mountdurban.com.na/see-do

This is really in the middle of nowhere and the campsite was lovely and well constructed. The hosts will sell you homemade bread, jam and biltong which is top quality (and v cheap in price) . the bread and jam were so nice we stocked up before we left.

We had the campsite to ourselves and had a look about the valley - there is a pool there too.

Chilled out lit bbq and had a few beers listening to the wildlife in the background.

I'm not doing this place justice .

9 - 10 Helmeringhausen Sesriem

We left Mount Durban and drove to Sesriem . the road is nearly all gravel . you get used to it nothing terrible just we weren't used to it. that was about a 3hour drive.

Sesriem is where the world famous sand dunes are ( most famous being Sossusvlei )

We had booked 2 nights in Sossus Oasis - which is a campsite with shop , petrol and garage. you can get car looked at here and punctures repaired.

Shop is grand but mostly non fresh food https://www.sossus-oasis.com/

after the first night we went to see the dunes and deadvlei (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadvlei)

you are recommended to get up early and climb Sossusvlei before the sun rises too high cos it gets super hot. But we are eejits and with kids etc...stripping tents etc...we arrived at midday and after deadvlei we climbed Sossusvlei in 30degrees plus heat . pure sun. but it was wonderful and we were never giving up but tiring and the sweat was lashing of us . some insta hun was beside us climbed for 30secs got her bf to take pics and then left...the utter fraud ! We all climbed to the top and tbh was one of those memories I'll treasure that we did as a family.

the dunes and deadvlei are in a national park and you can drive to either an office and get a shuttle around to the various spots (hop on hop off ) or drve your own 4x4 only allowed. We took the shuttle and it was a wild drive . just insane the up/down like bumper cars with added vertical vector.

Campsite was decent , had a nice pool to relax in too.

in deadvlei we met the only other Irish we met on the holiday - couple on their honeymoon . Deadvlei doesn't get the love of Sossusvlei but its' fascinating.

11 - 14 Sesriem Swakopmund

After 2 nights we left Sesriem and drove to Swakopmund . its about a 4 hour drive . just outside Sesriem is a town called solitaire - which is a petrol station , shop and a bakery. the bakery has world famous apple pie - i kept reading about it. So we stopped for coffee and i ate the pie.

It was fcukin delicious , I had a second and then tried the apple and blueberry version. stuff and over caffeinated I left . The apple pie hype was real. The drive to Swakopmund was very desert-y . real wilderness.

Swakopmund in an old German town on the coast - big German influence here. Its a lovely town with a nice beach and great seafront that the Namibians use as a seaside town .

We stated here 3 night for some chill out time. went to the beach and swam in the sea. and ate loads of cakes.

Plenty here to do and trips in to the dessert. we also drove to Walvis bay (1h) to see the pelicans - 1000s of pink yolks .

Learned a costly lesson here - you cant buy alcohol in shops from 1300 SAT to Monday 0900 . **** my life. Pubs/restaurants/clubs unaffected.

15 Swakopmund Cape Cross

After Swakopmund we drove to Cape Cross about 90min up the coast. This is far out there country - barren wild dessert at the sea. Roads got v quiet as well.

Cape Cross is really just a seal sanctuary where 250,000 seals live. It was amazing to walk among the horde of them , but if you don't like the smell of sh1t and rotten fish then .......there are a quarter of a million of them...

We stayed at Cross Cross Hotel camping - was nice but instead of barbequing we ate out in the hotel that night and got slaughtered drunk too. Food was decent and staff nice.

https://www.capecross.org/

Also went for a swim in the sea here , was colder than Swakopmund and i was the only person in the sea.

This hotel at the edge of the dessert and sea with nothing around - lovely but really remote. Sounds ominous but was wonderful and real edge of the world stuff but you wanted to fish here the only thing is the seal sanctuary - but we are so glad we went.

16 Cape Cross - Palmweg

Next day we drove up the coast through the Skeleton Coast National Park - it's a mass of sand dunes with some ship wrecks and other abandoned building from a by gone era. It was very quiet here and apart from the gate to the national park and the gate out the other end we only pass a handful of cars. It was right on coast and quite windy here.

There is a hard left before Torra Bay which you must take, it's illegal to go further and that brings you to Palmweg and the vegetation becomes less sand and more green. Some cool windy roads in the mountains too.

We met our first armed police checkpoint on this route very friendly , they never heard of ireland and we showed them on map - kids thought it cool they were tooled up with assault rifles.

We stayed the night in Palmweg here

Was a very nice place with bars and pools .

We also saw our first wild elephants and this was the start of seeing more tribal living.

17 - 21 Palmweg Epupa Falls

We left Palmweg and we supposed to drive to a "living village" to stay the day/night with a Himba Tribe just out Opuwo (a regional capital)

No problem till Opuwo and we decided to stop there to go to the Spar to stock up. On arrival I knew it was a mistake Opuwo is a sh1thole. Anyway we didn't need diesel so went straight to the Spar. Immediately we were surrounded by women and kids begging, it wasn't like anything before . real aggressive begging and abuse for not wanting to buy their tat. Also demanding the clothes off my kids back - weird I know but they asked for the clothes he was wearing at the time. So I said I'd stay mind the jeep with one kid while the others went into the spar. my wife and the 2 eldest kids were followed around the spar by kids (well teens) picking up items demanding she buy the item for them. She came out pretty freaked out. So we legged it. That was the only bad experience we really had. It's hard to describe tbh and while I accept the people are poor there is a level of behaviour that isn't acceptable and that line was well crossed.

Anyway after we left Opuwo - forever christening it a sh1thole - we found the Himba village but there was nobody there and after Opuwo we have a general "**** this" attitude and made us decide to skip staying in the village . I rang ahead to Epupa Falls and asked to start our stay a night earlier and that was sorted.

Meant that day was a 9h drive instead of a 5h.

So we drove to Epupa Falls - which is right on the boarder with Angola. The countryside is amazing , plenty of tribal villages and a sense of being in the heart of Africa. The road is rough at hell , gravel and pothole - dunno how you can do it without a jeep. Eveyrbody who goes to Epupa Falls loves it but many skip it cos it's out of the way - which I think is a huge mistake.

Epupa falls is amazing, just wonderful . We booked a campsite on booking.com and stayed 4 days. Campsite was great bar/restaurant - the best bathroom facilities even those its communal -and pool right on the Kunene River which separates Namibia and Angola. We got some repairs done here too - the rough road had broken the fridge but the camp staff fixed it handy enough.

There are plenty of locals offering themselves as guides and we hired one for an afternoon to walk/climb around the waterfall and surrounding area. You can get a boat ride too - you need a local as there are crocodiles in the water.

Was very sunny and everyday was 30degrees or more. Had a lovely 4 nights here and even went into the local village to use their shop which was an experience - me and one of the kids went for bread and ended up in their Saturday market which was cool and just very different. The people are friendly but the women and kids will ask you for food . It seems a feature up here and you cant give all your food and saving the world isn't possible. That said the people are poor but they aren't starving either and there is an element of them assuming that cos you're white that you're as rich as Donald Trump . I guess its about balance.

22 Epupa Falls - Ruacana

We left Epupa Falls and drove along the Kunene River . The road is called the DR3700 and I'd planned to drive it from the planning stage back in Ireland. You can see videos on youtube of people trying it. Its a wild road , real off road roller-coaster experience while seeing some lovely untouched country. it took about 4hours and was great fun.

We stopped by the Ruacana Falls which used to be amazing but the Angolans built a dam up river and it's not great now. We went into Angola briefly - you may need a visa (we got different advise but you don't need a visa to visit the waterfalls) but it was a Sunday afternoon and the boarder crossing was closed so we just drove in. Sound mad but Africa is like that.

Ruacana is a nothing town , its fine but pretty much a stop over for people crossing boarder. Campsite was very poor here.

23 - 26 Ruacana - Etosha

Etosha is the major national park safari in Namibia , its the big one prob the size of Leinster. We drove ourselves - a 4 day pass was about 80e. We stayed in the campsites in the park - they were a mixed bag - some poor (OLIFANTSRUS) while others like Halai and Namutoni are decent but they are reasonable.

The safari experience was super. 4 days was probably a day too long , 3 would have been perfect. Got to see all the animals bar leopard which we couldn't find. Not much to say other than it's wonderful here.

There is a trading post (kinda a village tbh) in the park to buy supplies and eat/drink. You can also drive out to a town but it's about 1hour - we did that and went to Outjo which was a really nice town with good supermarket and we went to a hardware there where the staff were v helpful to a useless fcuker like me

27 - 28 Etosha Windhoek

After leaving Etosha we drove to Windhoek - we thought about staying in Waterberg but decided after 21 nights in tents on the roof of a jeep we deserves a hotel . Booked 2 nights in the safari court hotel at last minute - which was top notch . Great value and a really high quality hotel . These two days were just us being lazy eating and drinking.

29 Windhoek Cape Town

Dropped the jeep back to the guy and he drove us to the airport. The jeep guy had quick look at jeep and that was it. None of that nit-picking you get with car rentals . I liked that.

Flew to Cape Town on Airlink Airlines. Really good airline to fly with. Food was actually decent - take that lufthansa!

Stayed 10 days in Cape Town - got an apt from booking.com in the Strand Area - mostly beach, few day trips and eating and drinking. I'd been to cape town 15years before and sadly to say Cape Town isn't as nice or good as I remembered. Also beware in South Africa there is a thing called "loadshedding" which is scheduled power cuts. Its a pain with young kids we mostly got 6 hours a day in cuts (in 2h blocks). Ive we'd known we'd have avoided.

I'd written loads and I wont bore you with Cape Town as it's a place many have gone.

Quick Notes.

This isn't the holiday for everybody , there is work involved and if you love sitting at the pool with cocktail all day , probably not for you.

Would we go again? - Namibia without a doubt , cape town prob not in a hurry back . We have unexplored parts of Namibia left - north east the Caprivi Strip . So highly probable there will be a next time in Namibia but defo Southern Africa - this is the holiday template from now on albeit prob 3-4 week holiday not 6 weeks. The expense is getting there its cheap to eat/stay there and petrol is half the price of Ireland.

Could have cost 12k or less if we hadn't gone Cape Town but my wife wanted to see it - It wasn't bad just not as good as I remembered.

Lufthansa aren't a great airline.

This is the longest post I ever wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Thanks so much to Foxsake for this epic reply on their amazing holiday. I've just printed it off (nearly 4,000 words fyi!) and look forward to going through it in detail and picking up lots of tips.

Despite starting to think about this holiday 1.5 years ago we still have nothing booked. Life has thrown a few curve balls and between illness and grief booking a holiday went way down in our list of priorities . It was only in the last week I began searching again and saw Foxsakes reply.

During the week we've been looking into South Africa/Safari but really like the sound of Namibia too and the other option is Vietnam and Thailand so hopefully we'll narrow it down and book somewhere soon!

Did you book anywhere @pawpatrol , you were looking for a similar type family holiday?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭youtheman

About 2015 my eldest was in UCLA for a year. So the middle son and I went over and all three of us did a road trip. Hired a Ford Mustang convertible and drove from LA to San Francisco along the Pacific Coast Highway. Highlight was 'Hearst Castle' https://hearstcastle.org/ and Alcatraz. It was nice but I concluded:

1. I did too much driving
    2. A good day around Slea Head is every bit as nice as the The Pacific Coast Highway
    3. The Lakes of Killarney are every bit as nice as 'Mammoth Lake'.

So I went all that way and found out that home is just as nice (if you get the weather, obviously!). Wouldn't call it a 'waste', but I always wonder what would I do different if the opportunity arose.

Thanks youtheman. I've been to San Francisco a few times and visited Alcatraz twice-loved it. We were thinking of driving the west coast but I think America would gobble up all our money pretty quickly and that time of year flights are expensive for the 5 of us. My brother lives in San Francisco so it's a visit we'll do another time and have somewhere to stay if we base ourselves out of San Fran for a week or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭youtheman

Forgot to mention that this was the highlight for my middle fella (in LA):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭foxsake

apologies for the delay in getting back - I'll PM you later today

Hi all, OP here.

Finally got around to booking the "trip of a lifetime" holiday with less time and money than originally hoped- that's life!

Anyway we've decided to go to South East Asia over 3.5 weeks. A lot to pack into a short amount of time (especially with a 5 year old!)with we'll do our best so that there's not too much travelling with the kids but take in a good bit of culture/ beach/ fun etc.

So the plan is:

Fly to Bangkok and connecting flight to Siem Reap, Cambodia. 3 nights

Flight to Luang Prabang, Laos- 4 nights here including 1 night in an Elephant Sanctuary (researched for a proper ethical one)

Train to Vientiane,Laos- stay one night

Fly to Hanoi, Vietnam: 4 nights here including one night/2days at Halong Bay

Flight to Da Nang and onwards to Hoi Ann. 2/3 nights here

Flight from Da Nang to Ho Chi Minh. 2 nights in HCM

Fly to Phuket for 8 nights in resort relaxing, exploring etc.

It's not set in stone but that's what we're hoping to do. Open to tips/advice on these places etc. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭89897

That sounds like a great trip, from my experience and opinion, I would spend less time in Siem Reap and Hanoi and more in Hoi An and HCM.

I know Phuket is your relaxation part of the trip but I would recommend looking at maybe cutting that a night or two and consider a stop off in Nha Trang in Vietnam. Its a city but has a fantastic beach and also loads of cultural things to do.

great thanks for that. It's funny- someone else told us to leave out HCM altogether!! Hard to know, we'll do more research, have to keep the kids happy and interested. We had Nha Trang in there originally but decided not to go then, I think maybe just with the amount of travel between places etc but we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭89897

Youre welcome. I really enjoyed HCM as you get an amazing insigt into modern Vietnam and what the city is like. The Chu Chi tunnels are a must and theres loads of trips to do around the Mekong delta that are so unique. The Can Gio biosphere reserve could be something the kids really love as its alove with wildlife etc and is a quick day trip from HCM.

Really there's no shortage of ideas and whatever you do will be amazing. Just an FYI if you have picky eaters or allergies/intolerance's you will find it much more difficult in northern Vietnam and Cambodia. I didnt do Laos so cant comment on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Crazy amount of 'internal' travelling to be trying to cover in 3.5 weeks (guessing that's including the travel to / from SE Asia). Sure, you'll get to tick the boxes and say you visited x, but you won't remember half of it!

As an example, we're just back from our 7-8th trip to SE Asia (Can't remember exactly how many times we've been). Each of these trips included some time in Thailand. We're just spent 5 weeks in Thailand only and despite being there many times before, felt that this was barely enough time. We did lots of new stuff / locations and also re-visited many old haunts.

I'd be inclined to take a lot of days away from Phuket, or at least, don't book anything there. Use it as a base to land in and spend time at Khao Lak / PhangNa Bay / PhiPhi / Krabi (AoNang / Railay), or maybe even more east to Koh Lanta. Could also look at avoiding Phuket altogether and fly into Krabi. The Krabi area is just so magical to look at.... karst cliffs / islands rising from the water and even just driving around the Krabi area in general.... i'll upload some pics in another post to give you a teaser.

Just my 2c!

PhangNa Bay, looking East

Looks like boards.ie is being a dose (haven't tried to insert [img] tags in a while... not possible anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Got to agree with @JohnCleary : the original "trip of a lifetime" idea has been seriously downgraded to 5 days in airports and 8 days in a holiday resort - more than half your time away on what's essentially a standard package holiday. But with more airports.

I'm past the "travelling with children" stage now, but for us (two adults + four) if we were doing a multi-location trip, we always made the travelling itself part of the experience, so we'd go by car, boat, train and (what became the long-term solution) campervan. Airports were only for quick weekend trips, or crossing oceans.

The same applies to a certain extent to constantly changing hotels: every check-in and check-out wastes time, and constantly trying to work around times set for the hotel's convenience (room available after 3pm, vacate by 11am, etc) leaves you no room for spontaneous changes of plan. If it's not already too late, take a step back and ask yourself: is there really all that much difference between city centre hotels in Laos, Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam?

Before we switched to motorhoming, we'd almost always take a place for a week or two and use that as our base for excursions in all directions. An additional advantage for us, especially with young children, was that we could split the family and do different activities in the same day so the older ones could have a "wilder" adventure while the younger ones stayed at home. Years later, the children remember those "stop-and-stay" holidays in much more vivid detail than the high-intensity, multi-centre trips packed full of "culture".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well I’m well past the traveling with kids stage as both my two are working and living their own lives now. But here is the thing, most of their great memories have nothing to do with where we went or what we saw, it’s all about what they did. Most of it involved bikes, kayaks, tents, hiking boots, ropes, crampons and ice picks. Climbing an ice wall will always trump traveling and viewing in a young teenagers world, although a bit hairy if you are the parent watching it. And most of it happened within a few hundred kilometers of our home here in Switzerland.

If I was to live that time over, I’d consider traveling and sightseeing dead time for them it’s not what makes the memories for them. I do things like bike packing, wild camping, rock climbing, things where they are challenged and achieve something for themselves. The travel I’d do later for ourselves.

Advertisement