Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a van for DIY Camper conversion

Options
  • 18-02-2021 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Question re someone living in NI who's going to be moving back to Ireland this year.

Are they better off (VRT, duty and camper reclassification wise) getting a UK/NI reg standard van and converting it while still in NI/UK then importing it into Ireland when they move back there?

Or

Importing a standard van from UK/NI to Ireland (storing at a friends in Ireland) then doing the conversion and reclassifying after importing it?

The van will be a Mercedes Sprinter LWB with no VAT.

Generally speaking, is this van cheaper here or in the UK, considering the import costs?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I don't know what the UK is like, but revenue will charge you 13.5% of what they deem the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price) of the van to be in order to reclassify. See the thread in my signature for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bocking 14

I don't know what the UK is like, but revenue will charge you 13.5% of what they deem the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price) of the van to be in order to reclassify. See the thread in my signature for more info

Thank you. Can't see any linked thread in your signature?

Need help with VRT in relation to a Motorhome or a Campervan Conversion? Click Here

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Need help with VRT in relation to a Motorhome or a Campervan Conversion? Click Here

There's no link attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If they can build it in the uk, they can do a transfer of residence to Ireland once they meet the criteria.

Problem is, the DVLA are classifying most self builds as “van with windows” these days, which would probably complicate things in terms of it being registered here for free.

There are some getting through as a motorcaravan, but the majority aren’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bocking 14

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If they can build it in the uk, they can do a transfer of residence to Ireland once they meet the criteria.

Problem is, the DVLA are classifying most self builds as “van with windows” these days, which would probably complicate things in terms of it being registered here for free.

There are some getting through as a motorcaravan, but the majority aren’t.

Do you mean owning it for six months or more prior to bringing it in to ROI?

I don't think that is going to be an option.

The fees would be the 13.3% VRT on the OMSP as a campervan then (if converted when presented for assessment)?

If not converted so just a commercial vehicle, is it still a fixed admin fee post-Brexit? Then the VRT would be payable when getting it reclassified?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it’s a regular commercial, the VRT would be €200.

Bocking 14 wrote: »
    Do you mean owning it for six months or more prior to bringing it in to ROI?

I don't think that is going to be an option.

The fees would be the 13.3% VRT on the OMSP as a campervan then (if converted when presented for assessment)?

If not converted so just a commercial vehicle, is it still a fixed admin fee post-Brexit? Then the VRT would be payable when getting it reclassified?

All explained in the thread I linked. VRT is due on conversion, so if you import it as a commercial and then. re-classify you'll pay the vrt that revenue decide less the 200 paid for the VRT on the commercial import

Advertisement