Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Primary PME placement/ Job market

Options
  • 21-02-2021 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Does anyone have any advice on how to secure secondary placement when I cant visit schools in person. I have been sending emails but haven't received any replies. My subjects would be English and History, and I'm currently a university tutor doing an MA in history.
    I really want to go to DCU because the hours seem easier to work with, but I need to have my placement secured. I am not from Dublin so I wouldnt be able to go to my old secondary school for hours.

Also any advice on secondary school teaching market? Will I find it difficult to find a job with these subjects? (I also intend to progress into SEN teaching eventually)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Does anyone have any advice on how to secure secondary placement when I cant visit schools in person. I have been sending emails but haven't received any replies.

Phonecalls are your best bet here, get talking to the principal or vice. An email will almost definitely get lost in their inbox, they surely receive hundreds on a daily basis.
    Also any advice on secondary school teaching market? Will I find it difficult to find a job with these subjects? (I also intend to progress into SEN teaching eventually)

In short, yes. Compared to other subjects, English and History are famously over-subscribed. Jobs do pop up however. In my experience there are good opportunities to pick up good contracts in Dublin/Kildare/Wicklow/Meath, more-so than the West of the country.

Advertisement