Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish family evicted and replaced by migrants

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Why can't we close this... It's been confirmed as nonsense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Social housing for doctors and nurses???

You said no one should be Given a house before Irish people.

Your words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

isnt it well for them

Good point.

You've given this issue a lot of thought haven't you!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

You said no one should be Given a house before Irish people.

Your words.

Yes, tell me this how do you go about being given a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

eagle eye wrote: »
    Sure you have to house the migrants or you are racist.
    It doesn't matter how much the Irish born white man is suffering you can get away with ****ing him over as long as you are treating the migrants well.

So in your utopia after the "white Irish" get sorted who is next? Non Irish whites? Non white Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Are Irish people availing of social housing in these other countries?

Irish people have availed of social housing in other countries. Are you really unaware of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

Stories like that are usually woefully taken out of context to suit an agenda. At the end of the day you don`t get evicted for no reason and the migrant family going into the house probably hadn't a breeze what was going on either way :D

Its the same with all those anti eviction "task forces" pages on Facebook. They simply don`t divulge the amount of a lead up you get to being evicted and paint it like you miss a month and the bank turns up to take the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Because the thread title is a bare faced lie designed to stir up hatred.

The thread title was meant as a question not a statement. I thought that would be obvious from the original post.
    I had no intention of stirring anything up. I don't live in Ireland and the issue doesn't affect me in any way. I was just wondering if there was any truth to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

sightband wrote: »
    I don’t know if I would describe it as “more balanced”. Censored to bits suiting certain agendas might be a better description.
    I disagree - all types of discussion are allowed. There are regular discussions regarding emotive topics like immigration and travellers and Islamic extremism.

If people are going to act the bollox (like on the thread about Strasbourg where there are shrieks of excusing terrorism aimed at people who are doing nothing of the sort - it's totally just being on a wind-up) then they deserve to be turfed out as they're not interested in discussion.

I do agree with you however that left-wing agent provocateurs are given far more leniency than their right-wing counterparts. But there are plenty of reasonable folk right of the middle who often articulate their concerns about immigration, and they aren't banned. I don't know why it's often pretended that this isn't the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Wheety wrote: »
    These stories are made up by racists.

A black woman couldn't get on the bus this morning with her child's buggy so just left it at the bus stop and proclaimed loudly "I'll get another one from the social"

Was in the social this morning and an Irish woman with 4 kids was crying at the counter as she had just been made homeless. A foreign family came in, still with the airport tags on their bags, and were told there's a house available for them and taxis were ordered to take them there now.

Extra line added to that one is a staff member then told a randomer that they get paid by the EU to house immigrants.

dont-believe-everything-you-read-on-the-internet-just-because-11793910.png

You left out that swans are nearly extinct because all the polish lads are eating them.

facebook is a toxic pit of vileness. Graffiti on bathroom walls is probably more accurate news.
    I don't go near it any more. I think the world would be a better place without it.

Even the social media aspect of it has a negative effect on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

aido79 wrote:
    As said I just want to know if there is any truth behind the Facebook post.

I've seen many Facebook posts falsely claiming that foreign nationals are getting free taxis provided by the state, that they get more money than Irish, that they get housed quicker etc. I've never found any of it to be true.

This particular Facebook post has to be talking about a private landlord. One family's lease isn't renewed for whatever reason and the next tenant happens to non Irish.

It's click bait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Grayson wrote: »
    Graffiti on bathroom walls is probably more accurate news.

No it's not, my ma wouldn't blow some random drunk.:mad:

Ma, back me up.........Ma? Ma?

aido79 wrote:
    It's unlikely the thread will be deleted but can a mod please close this thread?

Can't you modify the thread title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

According to the graffiti I saw, its not random. Just immigrants and culchies ;)

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Irish people have availed of social housing in other countries. Are you really unaware of that?

To be honest i wasnt, is there any special reason why i would or should be aware of this?

My point was i think Irish people should be prioritised for social housing in Ireland. I mean surely being born here should entitle us to some advantages in that regard? Is that so crazy? Not that ill ever need it myself, its just a thought.

Jeez, lighten up on the thread title, lads!

As soon as you read the opening post you can get the full story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm well aware of that, one of my best friends is Irish born and of African descent.
    I purposely said Irish born white man, should have added non-traveller, because you can **** him over and you are not a racist, bigot or any other type of non-pc character.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Can't you modify the thread title?

Only AH mods can do that. A couple of them seem to have formed their own opinion on this thread so not sure if it will be modified.

Can a mod please edit the thread title so that it reads as a question rather than a statement please?

To be honest i wasnt, is there any special reason why i would or should be aware of this?

My point was i think Irish people should be prioritised for social housing in Ireland. I mean surely being born here should entitle us to some advantages in that regard? Is that so crazy? Not that ill ever need it myself, its just a thought.

Yes and no.

See, these arguments turn into Irish Vs Refugee. And earlier we had working Irish Vs Unemployed.

The simple fact is that foreign people are allowed to claim asylum and once they are here, they are entitled to assistance. At that point you have two people who are homeless so who do you decide is more deserving? Deciding on nationality seems a bit wrong. I think length of time is a fairer measurement. So a refugee shouldn't come before an Irish person who has been waiting longer.

However a better solution would be to ramp up social housing. We have a severe lack of it in Ireland at the moment. With or without refugees we would still have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

aido79 wrote: »
    Only AH mods can do that. A couple of them seem to have formed their own opinion on this thread so not sure if it will be modified.

Can a mod please edit the thread title so that it reads as a question rather than a statement please?

giphy.gif

Yore ma can't reply because her mouth is full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Regardless of whether this actually occurred in Kilkenny or not, or if the circumstances are as simple as they have been presented or not, it is still a conversation that needs to be had. It is still a valid question - should migrants be housed before homeless Irish people.

Saying the fact that the conversation should be had should not be construed as indicative that my opinion is that the migrants should be told go to hell.....because that isn't my opinion!

But I feel the OP has been unjustly criticized.

Blame the landlord, no-one else. People are people, regardless of where they are from so there should never be a question of irish or non irish.

Grayson wrote: »
    Yes and no.

See, these arguments turn into Irish Vs Refugee. And earlier we had working Irish Vs Unemployed.

The simple fact is that foreign people are allowed to claim asylum and once they are here, they are entitled to assistance. At that point you have two people who are homeless so who do you decide is more deserving? Deciding on nationality seems a bit wrong. I think length of time is a fairer measurement. So a refugee shouldn't come before an Irish person who has been waiting longer.

However a better solution would be to ramp up social housing. We have a severe lack of it in Ireland at the moment. With or without refugees we would still have a problem.

Thats a fair enough point. Just a question for you do you think given the massive shortage of houses here at present that we should still be taking refugees and migrants from outside Europe?

Do the people that are enabling this ever stop to think where these people are going to live? Or do they just not care?

It just doesnt seem logical to me to continue importing people from outside Europe at this moment in time, surely this is only adding to the strain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Is it a case that its easier for migrants to find accomodation than it is for Irish people?

Yes it is because people coming here have realistic expectations to live somewhere they can afford.

Irish are like. I have a family of 20 kids, I want the guberment to give me a house in D1.

The OPs post has no details at all. There is no chance that the Irish family was evicted to make way for the new family without any cause. There is no details on whether it was private rent or council rent. Nothing but anti foreigner bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Thats a fair enough point. Just a question for you do you think given the massive shortage of houses here at present that we should still be taking refugees and migrants from outside Europe?

Do the people that are enabling this ever stop to think where these people are going to live? Or do they just not care?

It just doesnt seem logical to me to continue importing people from outside Europe at this moment in time, surely this is only adding to the strain.

is there a shortage of houses, or a shortage of available finance to buy? I say its the latter. Plenty of houses for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No one from outside this country should be given a house until every Irish homeless person is housed.

Disagree, delinquent tenants should be at the back of the queue behind immigrants who play by the rules

I'm sure they take it into consideration. We didn't sign up to take 100k. the problem with the rental crises is that it's getting worse by the day.

I've always said we should take as many as we can. To do less than that is leaving vulnerable people who need help, that we could help. Taking more than that is simply impractical.

In taking refugees we can house them in areas where there is a surplus of houses and a lack of demand. However, even then the options are limited. they still need to be in/near larger towns. people may say why don't we give them to Irish people. And honestly if someone's been on the housing lists, and there's a house available there, they should take it.

But this is going to be a post of a couple hundred words. It can't answer the entire complexities of the issue. We need a proper study done. Work out how much space there is and how it can best be used.

Yes it is because people coming here have realistic expectations to live somewhere they can afford.

Irish are like. I have a family of 20 kids, I want the guberment to give me a house in D1.

The OPs post has no details at all. There is no chance that the Irish family was evicted to make way for the new family without any cause. There is no details on whether it was private rent or council rent. Nothing but anti foreigner bs.

I live abroad and you think I am anti foreigner? Seriously do you know how stupid that sounds?

The original post was an attempt to find out more details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

maccored wrote: »
    Blame the landlord, no-one else. People are people, regardless of where they are from so there should never be a question of irish or non irish.

I used to be a landlord myself. In my 10-years as a landlord, I had about 7 different tenant families, only one of which were Irish. All of the others were Eastern European and one African family. If I were still a landlord, never again would I go for the Irish. I may just have been unlucky - but I don't think so based on other landlords experiences I've heard about and also the Irish that would come to my own viewings who were very obviously undesirable the vast majority of the time. All of the foreign tenants were excellent tenants who looked after the place as their own and I charged them below market rates and it was an unsaid understanding that we wouldn't screw each other over - they would even spend their own money on small maintenance issues without even telling me. The one outlier was the Irish tenants. Never again! They cost me thousands after I got them out!

So it is a question of where there from but the preference may be the opposite of what people may think it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

maccored wrote: »
    is there a shortage of houses, or a shortage of available finance to buy? I say its the latter. Plenty of houses for sale.

It's the former.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I live abroad and you think I am anti foreigner? Seriously do you know how stupid that sounds?

Well what you have been told is
    • It isn't true
    • Don't believe things on Facebook
    • Know better than to spread lies by asking the question

You now know this so why keep asking unless of course you are doing it intentionally. The right thing to do is close the thread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Don't take the criticism too seriously OP, for some context there's a lot of these threads being posted here the last months by genuine agenda trolls and some folk are getting a bit fed up of it, and your OP is particularly bad so you're getting some of the frustration taken out on you

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Well what you have been told is
    • It isn't true
    • Don't believe things on Facebook
    • Know better than to spread lies by asking the question

You now know this so why keep asking unless of course you are doing it intentionally. The right thing to do is close the thread

Thank you for your "input "

I have requested that the thread be closed. This request has been ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

If the OP wanted an answer they would have gone to the regional forum. If they wanted a reaction they come to AH
    Laois_Man wrote: »
    I used to be a landlord myself. In my 10-years as a landlord, I had about 7 different tenant families, only one of which were Irish. All of the others were Eastern European and one African family. If I were still a landlord, never again would I go for the Irish. I may just have been unlucky - but I don't think so based on other landlords experiences I've heard about and also the Irish that would come to my own viewings who were very obviously undesirable the vast majority of the time. All of the foreign tenants were excellent tenants who looked after the place as their own and I charged them below market rates and it was an unsaid understanding that we wouldn't screw each other over - they would even spend their own money on small maintenance issues without even telling me. The one outlier was the Irish tenants. Never again! They cost me thousands after I got them out!

So it is a question of where there from but the preference may be the opposite of what people may think it is!

You've had a bad experience with one set of Irish tenants and suddenly every tenant from Ireland is a waster wow.

I had a landlord who was a convicted tax cheat and constantly tried to screw me over but I don't come on here and say all Irish landlords are crooks. You judge the person as they come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Create new semi-state company to construct 50,000 A frame wooden houses - like www.avrame.com trio150. Large house for under €37k +vat from Estonia.
    1. 4 months total turnaround time. (Including factory build, assembly and fit out)
    2. Environmentally sustainable - roof pitch designed at optimum angle for solar panels.
    3. Councils have land banks for development.
    4. When task complete start exporting houses throughout uk and eu.
    5. Employment created.
    6. Housing problem sorted.

The profit motive should have no part to play in social housing.

“Oh but they’re not perfect brick built...”
    Fup off - beggars can’t be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Sure everyone's a 'bigot' nowadays

Not really, a lot of AH posters but thankfully they're not representative of most of the populace.

Too true.
    I do shower repair so I'm in a lot of rentals on a daily basis. Any property where I've seen the landlord stuffing three beds into a room suitable for one, it's foreign nationals occupying the room. They are willing to put up with substandard accommodation because it's in their budget.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    If the OP wanted an answer they would have gone to the regional forum. If they wanted a reaction they come to AH

You've had a bad experience with one set of Irish tenants and suddenly every tenant from Ireland is a waster wow.

I had a landlord who was a convicted tax cheat and constantly tried to screw me over but I don't come on here and say all Irish landlords are crooks. You judge the person as they come.

My post clearly stated it was more than just my one piece of evidence - you just choose to ignore it because it suits you!

I am sure not ALL Irish tenant are wasters, I used to be a (very good) Irish tenant myself and I know others who I would assume are good tenants. But the proportion of Irish tenants who are undesirable is definitely higher! I don't care what anyone says!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Eh.... no.! There may be 10k people who want to be thought of as homeless, so they can protest and scream blue murder to get their ‘foreva’ home, but there is not 10k people actually homeless.

This country is too soft on this type of bull****. The likes of the now infamous Ms Cash have been trolling the country with their verbal diarhoeea, and calling all these people homeless is a disservice to people who actually are homeless and who actually require real help.

Yes there are problems, and they require fixing, but the road some people want this country to go down with regards to this ‘housing crises’ is turning the country into a tinderbox, and something is gonna give.

The country cannot sustain the type of social system we have built, and The sooner the better the entitlement culture is dealt with, the sooner we can get to fixing the actual problems.

Sinn Feins Eoin O Broin was on Newstalk this morning quoting a figure of 13,000 homeless, he said he was counting the 5,000+ living in direct provision as homeless.

Sinn Feins Eoin O Broin was on Newstalk this morning quoting a figure of 13,000 homeless, he said he was counting the 5,000+ living in direct provision as homeless.

13k isn't a correct figure but neither is the 10k that the government is putting out. They have been doctoring the figures most of this year. Its believed that the correct number is around 11k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No one from outside this country should be given a house until every Irish homeless person is housed.

But what do you do when those Irish people refuse houses? I was working most of the last two years in admin in Tusla, and while we all know it goes on, the extent to which people throw the offers of free houses back in the face of those offering it is nothing short of staggering.

Unless you want custom built, luxury homes built left, right and centre inside Dublin city (not Dublin county - Dublin city, and primarily the city centre) for hundreds of families who point blank refuse decent accommodation because they want an individual room for each of their children (sometimes 2-3, sometimes 8-10 of them), or think the area is "too boring" or the views from their windows "too depressing", what you are proposing isn't feasible ever.

The fact is, there are a lot of Margaret Cash type chancers, but also many homeless people suffering from mental illness who simply will not be happy regardless of what you offer them (or who could be delighted with a home... then hate it with a passion within 2-3 weeks, such is the nature of mental illness). It's not exactly rare for many people to outright leave their accommodation and just present back at Merchant's Quay, The Lighthouse or wherever else. Dealing with every single one of these in a nation of millions of people is literally impossible, and so it would make more sense for your statement to simply be: "No one from outside this country should be given a house."

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Regardless of the original post, its always the same types of defence put up about this kind of thing. Heres the formula

1) Compare the lowliest irish person, junkie, layabout, scrounger, generally no-good person to...

2) A fine upstanding non-irish person, "an American earning top dollar", a productive, kind hearted person, nurses, doctors.

"shuuurrr, id have one over the other any day!"

Always the same damned comparisons, never a balanced viewpoint at all. Because an equal, like-for-like comparison would shatter their fantasy world, force them into confronting their bs. Intellectual cowardice.

And as for all those that are so quick to dismiss actual irish people in place of someone else from anywhere else...talk about blind as to their own future. What goes around comes around.

If you consider everyone equal and able, then be prepared to have your world stolen from beneath you. There are 4 odd million irish people, and billions of others that have an equal claim to your country. That will work out just great!

Useful idiots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's a difference between a home and a roof over one's head.

Im lucky living down a country boreen in North Clare, I worked hard for it.

Anytime I hear about people getting turfed out of their homes in local towns or villages usually make **** out of the place,not paying rent, defunct mortgages or they're a nuisance to the neighbours.

There's always two sides to the story, a few miles out the road there's a small farmhouse.

At least once a week there's a garda car outside, and the locals are pissed off with the rubbish outside and undesirable s hanging around it....

There's no smoke without fire ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Too true.
    I do shower repair so I'm in a lot of rentals on a daily basis. Any property where I've seen the landlord stuffing three beds into a room suitable for one, it's foreign nationals occupying the room. They are willing to put up with substandard accommodation because it's in their budget.

Ive come across this so many times in various ways.

It is quite literally a lowering of standards. Bring in people who will put up with much lower standards quality of life, short term gain from a business point of view.

Long term it lowers standards for everyone. A person might escape the reality for now, but their children will certainly have to live with the consequences.

The idea of progression, as an individual or country, is over. Its all downhill from here. Look at housing, job quality, health service, facility....youd need to be a complete mug to think its going to do anything except worsen. There'll be a couple rounds of pass-the-housing between families, but that will be eroded to dust too. Welcome to "its not a country, its a business" globalisation.

The pushback is going to be an awesome, terrible sight across Europe. And it will be wall to wall with "I told you so!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It absolutely wasn't posed as a question though, and honestly a quick Google search would have indicated this is false.

It's safe to say that if you see something like this claimed on any social media platform, but no linked news article about it, then it's complete bull.

edit: It's also completely possible to be a racist/bigot and live in another country. There's an English lad working in my office who constantly rants about foreigners taking jobs but completely misses the irony.

mammajamma wrote: »
    Ive come across this so many times in various ways.

It is quite literally a lowering of standards. Bring in people who will put up with much lower standards quality of life, short term gain from a business point of view.

Long term it lowers standards for everyone. A person might escape the reality for now, but their children will certainly have to live with the consequences.

The idea of progression, as an individual or country, is over. Its all downhill from here. Look at housing, job quality, health service, facility....youd need to be a complete mug to think its going to do anything except worsen. There'll be a couple rounds of pass-the-housing between families, but that will be eroded to dust too. Welcome to "its not a country, its a business" globalisation.

The pushback is going to be an awesome, terrible sight across Europe. And it will be wall to wall with "I told you so!"

It's the housing shortage lowering standards not foreign nationals. Irish people are living in worse conditions too. I've had many Irish tenant paying over 300 to replace the shower out of their own pocket because they are afraid the landlord will threaten to sell up & kick them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Loads of people who live abroad are racist. Ever been to the Canaries? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sonics2k wrote: »
    edit: It's also completely possible to be a racist/bigot and live in another country. There's an English lad working in my office who constantly rants about foreigners taking jobs but completely misses the irony.
    A bit of an aside since I'm not familiar with the OP at all, but I also remember living in Sydney years back with some English guy from Worcester from the backpackers hostel complaining about "all the Chinks, krauts, gooks and darkies" around but that "here we are, four proud English lads". I corrected him that I am Irish, so he changed to "oh right sorry, four British lads..." so I corrected him again and got "well we're all in the Commonwealth and that's what matters!". The two other lads were from London and the cringing horror in their faces actually made it all worthwhile. :p

Then there was another girl from Oldham that I worked with, who loved to complain about all the "bloody foreigners" in Sydney who were taking her job opportunities. She rarely hung out with any Aussies, just lots of foreigners herself. Only the foreigners she hung out with were white, and British/American/Irish/Canadian with a few continentals... I honest to god don't think she had even the slightest clue that she and her friends were the actual foreigners.

mammajamma wrote: »
    Regardless of the original post, its always the same types of defence put up about this kind of thing. Heres the formula

1) Compare the lowliest irish person, junkie, layabout, scrounger, generally no-good person to...

2) A fine upstanding non-irish person, "an American earning top dollar", a productive, kind hearted person, nurses, doctors.

"shuuurrr, id have one over the other any day!"

Coz everyone knows those from Eastern Europe and Africa seeking rented accommodation in Ireland are predominantly doctors and nurses...yep! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,229 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did anyone ever occupy the 6 houses in Tipperary?
    If not then put some of the Syrians in there.

Advertisement