Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof leak

Options
  • 12-12-2018 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice. Have a roof leak, not major but water coming into one room. It appears to be a crack in the lead in the valley of the roof. A friend had a look and saw a crack.

What I want to know is how long should the lead in a roof last? My house is about 20 years old. Is it unusual for the lead to crack after 20 years? Hoping house insurance will cover it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the lead was fixed in too long a piece so expansion contraction of the roof trusses etc led to the crack.
    Unless the water damage is serious, get a roll of industrial grade "flash band" from a place like
    https://www.nationalseal.ie I forget the correct name: it is awesome stuff.
    It can be cut to width and just lay it over the lead, job done and no impact on your house NCB

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

Hoping house insurance will cover it.

Not worth your while claiming off house insurance for such a small job.

As advised by Calahonda52 - I'd use the flashband.

I find, when using flashband that if you heat the lead (not too much) with a small blowtorch or heat gun - then affix flashband - then give it the once over again with heat that it sticks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

flash band is at best a tempory fix. i know , we did it to the lead on our house a few years ago. a few months ago it failed and water poured in through the ceiling below.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

If it is a tile roof where the tiles at each side of the valley can be moved/lifted clear of the lead , it is not that big a job to replace a section of the valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

That's for replies & advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

J.R. wrote: »
    Not worth your while claiming off house insurance for such a small job.

As advised by Calahonda52 - I'd use the flashband.

I find, when using flashband that if you heat the lead (not too much) with a small blowtorch or heat gun - then affix flashband - then give it the once over again with heat that it sticks great.

I am NOT suggesting flash band

"Unless the water damage is serious, get a roll of industrial grade "flash band" from a place like
    https://www.nationalseal.ie I forget the correct name: it is awesome stuff."

Its about 80 euro for a 10 meters 150mm wide roll: rolls can be any width you want

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Had this issue happen our house, lead was placed in one continuous strip from top to bottom of valley, leaked on both sides of valley, luckily, the waterproof course underneath the slates prevented damage to roof joists as had been leaking for years and water leaked under slates but over the waterproof membrane down to facia board and dripped down behind the chutes, a large chunk of facia board had to be replaced, slates at either side of valley taken off and new lead placed, lead should be installed at specific lengths to prevent cracking, original slates were put back and the ridge caps were also replaced as these were also cracking.

Advertisement