Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Pictures/mirrors

Options
  • 12-12-2018 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Very simple query no doubt but I'm not great at DIY in general but would love to hang pictures and heavy mirror in the new gaff.

Any idea what type screws to use on walls that are plasterboard then about 2 inch insulation board and then solid wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,094 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What size/weight are you talking about here?

For most items such as this any of the plasterboard fixings will do tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

GreeBo wrote: »
    What size/weight are you talking about here?

For most items such as this any of the plasterboard fixings will do tbh.

Various weights - the mirror and one of the pictures would be heavy alright.

Bought a picture hanging kit with loads of those rawlplug things but my mate said it wouldn't work as I'd only be going in to softish insulation board?

Rackard wrote: »
    Various weights - the mirror and one of the pictures would be heavy alright.

Bought a picture hanging kit with loads of those rawlplug things but my mate said it wouldn't work as I'd only be going in to softish insulation board?

I still dont know what you mean by "heavy"

50kg heavy or 2kg heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Spring toggle bolts will hold anything up on plasterboard. Great things.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

I still dont know what you mean by "heavy"

50kg heavy or 2kg heavy?

Reckon the mirror would be 20kg at least and the big picture is around 15kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Rackard wrote: »
    Reckon the mirror would be 20kg at least and the big picture is around 15kg

If you look at the toggle bolts and fixings made for this they often have the load written on the packaging.

I would avoid the ones that just screw into plasterboard. Sometimes they work perfectly fine and other times getting a solid fix is not easy.

The bolts with the wings that open on the far side are great provided there is room at back and are usually used where there is no insulation at the back. They may work fine here too but I haven’t used them in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For light loads, (up to about 3kg) these lads are the right job. Idiotproof to install and easy to patch up if you remove them later on.

I'm always reluctant to use toggles because they can be a pain when redecorating.

The grip-its listermint links above look interesting. I've to mount a TV on plasterboard next year, they may be the way to go.

Also, maybe get a pair of scales out for those weights. A 20kg mirror maybe, must be pretty big. But a 15kg picture? Unless it has a solid iron frame or it's 5 feet high, you might be overestimating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

seamus wrote: »
    For light loads, (up to about 3kg) these lads are the right job. Idiotproof to install and easy to patch up if you remove them later on.

Those are the things I would avoid. I have successfully used them to hang bathroom mirrors but on other occasions the screw has pulled out of the plasterboard during fixing leaving a nice wide hole.

I use them all the time and have never had an issue.
    Simple to patch the hole they leave behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

They work reliably when the plasterboard +layer of plaster is reasonably thick.

If you have thin plasterboard and thin plaster then they can just make a hole.

I've never tried on anything less than 12.5mm so cant comment tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

They are pure crap. Should never be used in a home. They tear the boards to bits. Plenty of better options out there. As earlier stated, I'd agree OP is way overestimating the weights. 20kg mirror and 15kg picture sounds excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

dodzy wrote: »
    They are pure crap. Should never be used in a home. They tear the boards to bits. Plenty of better options out there. As earlier stated,
    The normal problem with them is that they come with screws that are too long. You screw something thin to the wall and the screw bottoms out in the Driva and it starts spinning and making a mess of the wall.
    They're good if you change for different screws.
    I'd agree OP is way overestimating the weights. 20kg mirror and 15kg picture sounds excessive.
    You're probably right, but something like a big antique frame could hit those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Those worm screws are great. Little tip that has made them work for me 100% all of the time is drill a small hole, say 4mm, in the plasterboard before screwing in.

They are pure crap. Should never be used in a home. They tear the boards to bits. Plenty of better options out there. As earlier stated, I'd agree OP is way overestimating the weights. 20kg mirror and 15kg picture sounds excessive.

We will have to disagree then, I've used them hundreds of times and never had an issue with them.

If they are "tearing the boards to bits" then you are not installing them correctly tbh. They screw into the board, there is no tearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

We will have to disagree then, I've used them hundreds of times and never had an issue with them.

If they are "tearing the boards to bits" then you are not installing them correctly tbh. They screw into the board, there is no tearing.

Those fittings are the worst fixings you can find. The metal ones are barely usable. They are OK for really light weight stuff but that's it.
    I have at least 10 different types in an organiser I bring on site. I would rather have an empty section than those

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

If you think they are good, you should really check out the alternatives.

If you are using them, and you want to remove them, then you are left with unnecessary patchwork. I've no doubt you know how best to use them, but seriously, they re a butchered design, and for 99% of users who will not pre-drill, they will cause damage, no question.

And as for supporting any weight, I would implore you and others to look towards something else. And for light weight stuff, there are plenty of alternatives that will leave a fraction of the footprint these will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Those fittings are the worst fixings you can find. The metal ones are barely usable. They are OK for really light weight stuff but that's it.
    I have at least 10 different types in an organiser I bring on site. I would rather have an empty section than those

Never have a problem with them. Currently supporting curtain poles in a few bedrooms

Never have a problem with them. Currently supporting curtain poles in a few bedrooms

i have used them with no problems in the past but there are dozens of better choices out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

I hang some pictures with heavy duty Velcro. Couple of pieces per picture and no issues yet. There is 50mm rolls. I have only only used to painted block wall so far and still hanging on. Wouldn't try on wallpaper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

Who knew that Drivas were one of the great dividers of modern society?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just in case anybody comes along and suggests using 3M Command Strips....

Don’t.

jhenno78 wrote: »
    Who knew that Drivas were one of the great dividers of modern society?

they are just trying to worm their way in:D

i have used them with no problems in the past but there are dozens of better choices out there
    Those fittings are the worst fixings you can find.

Well colour me confused.

If you think they are good, you should really check out the alternatives.

If you are using them, and you want to remove them, then you are left with unnecessary patchwork. I've no doubt you know how best to use them, but seriously, they re a butchered design, and for 99% of users who will not pre-drill, they will cause damage, no question.

And as for supporting any weight, I would implore you and others to look towards something else. And for light weight stuff, there are plenty of alternatives that will leave a fraction of the footprint these will.

I can't agree that a screw is s butchered design since a screw is probably holding together most of the items in your house.

What fixing that holds the same weight leaves a smaller hole?

Btw i have tried ALL three alternatives and still use these instead.
    Anything that they can't hold should be into timber or a stud.

Well colour me confused.

in the past i have used them . it was year ago before i knew about all the better options out there. they rank the lowest in any criteria i can think of. speed, potential to ruin wall, strength, cost, size, etc

i wouldnt use them now. there are smaller, stronger ,cheaper and cause less of a hole to fix if removed options out there. as i said earlier i took them out of my organoser box. they are never used and never will.the screws are handy though

what's a faster option?
    You screw them straight into the wall and you are done!

hammer in fixings are faster.
    like these https://www.ie.screwfix.com/rawlplug-tap-it-plasterboard-fixings-metal-30mm-100-pack.html

you can just drill them in but i find you have to drive a screw in first to see if there is timber behind . if you hit anything with a driva fitting it will drill a hole.

• Advertisement

hammer in fixings are faster.
    like these https://www.ie.screwfix.com/rawlplug-tap-it-plasterboard-fixings-metal-30mm-100-pack.html

you can just drill them in but i find you have to drive a screw in first to see if there is timber behind . if you hit anything with a driva fitting it will drill a hole.

It can't be faster if you need two tools...

You need to know what's behind with any fixing... unless you want to hammer the above fixing into a wire or pipe for example

Advertisement