Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capping off water supply to bathroom fittings

• 11-12-2018 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Fed up waiting for plumbers to show up (and they never do!) for what are two small jobs. I want to remove an old sink and bath and I need to cap off their respective water supplies. The fittings are qualplex to the sink and copper to the bath. Can anyone tell me how to do this please as its holding up a bigger job.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭John.G

D13exile wrote: »
    Fed up waiting for plumbers to show up (and they never do!) for what are two small jobs. I want to remove an old sink and bath and I need to cap off their respective water supplies. The fittings are qualplex to the sink and copper to the bath. Can anyone tell me how to do this please as its holding up a bigger job.

thanks

You can get these in any plumbers suppliers, they look like a straight coupling except that one end is the blank.

Cut your pipe to size, slip on the nut, then the brass olive, then put a insert into the Q.pex pipes (only), then put the blank on the other end and tighten up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

John.G wrote: »
    You can get these in any plumbers suppliers, they look like a straight coupling except that one end is the blank.

Cut your pipe to size, slip on the nut, then the brass olive, then put a insert into the Q.pex pipes (only), then put the blank on the other end and tighten up.

Thank you. Do I need ptfe tape on as well or will the fittings hold? Have this fear of them coming off and flooding the place. Plumbing makes me nervous as I had a serious water leak in the last house (not my fault) and it caused a lot of damage to ceilings and wooden floors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭John.G

D13exile wrote: »
    Thank you. Do I need ptfe tape on as well or will the fittings hold? Have this fear of them coming off and flooding the place. Plumbing makes me nervous as I had a serious water leak in the last house (not my fault) and it caused a lot of damage to ceilings and wooden floors.

I never use ptfe tape but most do (see later), make sure you push the pipe fully (home) into the blank before tightening. After tightening remove the blanking cap and ensure that the end of the pipe is extending not less than ~ 5mm beyond the end of the olive, you can then wrap just a few turns of the ptfe tape around the olive and re tighten.
    Just a reminder, don't forget to use inserts in the Q.pex.

Some, on here, recommend wrapping just one or two turns around the threaded parts as it helps to lubricate the threads and makes it easier to tighten up but bear in mind that this plays no part in the actual sealing of the joint.

Advertisement