Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing a mahogany door frame

Options
  • 11-12-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a dark brown mahogany front door. The original door bell was fixed to the left hand side of the door and to facilitate this a hole was made in the door frame to allow the bell wires through. The hole was then covered by the bell button plate and all was good.

Due to kids (teenagers before anyone thinks I've got 6-7 year old latch key kids!!) being home alone for a couple of hours each afternoon I wanted to install a Nest Hello video doorbell but long story short for that to work effectively it needed to be positioned on a slightly different part of the door frame resulting in the original hole in the frame being exposed.

For now I've just covered it with some Gorilla tape but need a solution which will both fill the hole and allow a flush finish that blends in with the door colouring.

I've no idea where to start. I'm thinking there must be some sort of coloured foam or putty which would do the job?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can get wood filler of various tints to match the wood you're filling in. Basically it all comes down to whether you want a perfect finish, or just something you won't really notice unless you have your face planted against the wood.

You fill it in, sand it down so it's flush with the frame, and then varnish over it. Done properly it's hard to notice. You might find it hard to fill a hole that goes all the way through. There are various ways to do this, including building up the filler bit by bit. With larger holes, I've had success stuffing the hole with polystyrene foam (or anything similarly hydrophobic) and using that as a "base" for filling in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Get yourself a scrap of Mahogony of similar colour to the frame. Drill the hole out to a specific size, say 15mm. Get a carpenter with a 'plug cutter' to cut you a few plugs to match the size of the hole drilled, 15mm. Glue the plug into the hole, making sure to clean off the excess glue before it dries. Finish it off with a sharp chisel and sand paper. If you line up the orientation of the grain the 'repair' can be almost invisible when varnished or whatever.....

One of these.....
    https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-barrel-plug-cutter-15mm-950187

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just get a doorbells blanking plate. I wouldn't bother repairing anything you'll always see it in that type of wood frame and it's a wasted effort. A blanking plate looks neater . There are various materials available Google the name.

Also fill the hole first with silicone or wood filler to stop draughts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

seamus wrote: »
    You can get wood filler of various tints to match the wood you're filling in. Basically it all comes down to whether you want a perfect finish, or just something you won't really notice unless you have your face planted against the wood.

You fill it in, sand it down so it's flush with the frame, and then varnish over it. Done properly it's hard to notice. You might find it hard to fill a hole that goes all the way through. There are various ways to do this, including building up the filler bit by bit. With larger holes, I've had success stuffing the hole with polystyrene foam (or anything similarly hydrophobic) and using that as a "base" for filling in the hole.

Hi Seamus,

Thanks for the suggestion. I really don't need a perfect or even near perfect finish. The hole is right beside the newly installed Nest Hello and kind of obscured by the protruding Nest Hello so it certainly won't catch anyone's eye as the Nest Hello looks like a space ship with it's LED lights etc!!

Do you think something like this or this would do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Get yourself a scrap of Mahogony of similar colour to the frame. Drill the hole out to a specific size, say 15mm. Get a carpenter with a 'plug cutter' to cut you a few plugs to match the size of the hole drilled, 15mm. Glue the plug into the hole, making sure to clean off the excess glue before it dries. Finish it off with a sharp chisel and sand paper. If you line up the orientation of the grain the 'repair' can be almost invisible when varnished or whatever.....

One of these.....
    https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-barrel-plug-cutter-15mm-950187

Thanks Tiercel Dave, if only you knew the pathetic level of DIY skills I have you'd never suggest such a high quality solution!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do you think something like this or this would do the job?

These are flexible sealants made from acrylic. Their purpose really is to fill in joins and keep out water, rather than repair holes. They can't be sanded and will stick out like a sore thumb, even if you varnish over it.

Something like this is more appropriate. This is sandable, so once sanded and varnished will be practically invisible unless you're looking right at it.

Advertisement